Playing WAV Sounds w/ MIDI Controller

R

rdevivo

Ok I want to import a .wav sound (a guitar sound) and Enable myself to play it from my Keyboard (MIDI Controller) ... Like One key plays a diff key of the sound, so i can Play thru.. not each key is a diff sound. Is this possible?

T

TheMost

Well since its in the propellerhead section im guessing you wanna do this with reason.
Load up your Wav file into Recycle, chop that bad boy guitar riff then open reason load it up into nxt or dr rex ( i suggest nnxt) slap on a effect or 2 for wormth and Jam!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Well since its in the propellerhead section im guessing you wanna do this with reason.
Load up your Wav file into Recycle, chop that bad boy guitar riff then open reason load it up into nxt or dr rex ( i suggest nnxt) slap on a effect or 2 for wormth and Jam!

nah man ..... he wants the ONE wav sound to be mapped over his keyboard so he can play it in diff't octaves or keys. I haven't done it in so long that I can't quite remember how. I only use Reason rewired to Live these days. Not to mention I have enough refills that I don't have to do that anymore.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Just load it in a NNXT in the drop down section like so:

Attachments

• Reason.jpg
    Reason.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 182
R

rdevivo

Ok I did that, thanks a lot, now I ran into another problem...

I'm using an MPD16, I have it "tuned" via the AKAI MPD16 Tool provided with the drivers for the device... I have all the pads mapped out to match the corresponding "slice" in Dr Rex. I hit a pad on the MPD and it switches to that slice in Dr Rex, I also see activity light flashing (MIDI) so I know it's working... but there's no sound.. I don't know why.. it's very low and muffled. I'm using on-board soundcard (AC 97) with ASiO FOR ALL driver selected, If I need a new soundcard I can get one, just needa know what soundcard to pick up.

R

rdevivo

It happens when I use the default Dr Rex drum packs... the audio is all set up to ASIO audio etc... I dont know why it's doing this..

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
When you say you see flashing (midi) are you saying you see the audio meters rising in the mixer? or just the red dot on the Drrex when you hit a key?

hit tab and flip the rack and make sure the wiring is connected right.

That's probably it. I do that often haha, put an effect in, decide I don't want it and just delete it, leaving the original device unwired and silent. Then I press tab and I'm like 'You fucking idiot'

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok first you say "theres no sound"..then you say..."its low and muffled"....so...if it is the latter..."low and muffled"......turn up your ADSR in Dr. Rex (your world would be better if you were using XT)..ADSR meaning: attack, decay, sustain, release...and set you polyphony to "1"....then hit "full level" on your MPD16....give that a shot

R

rdevivo

I dont know how to assign each pad a diff sound in NN-XT .. If anyone can help me with it'd be greatly appreciated.. Another BIg problem I', having is:

When I use Right Click - > Quanitize in Reason after I lay down a drum track or something the notes go off, and the timing is just sounds like shit.. idk how to get it right...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
When I use Right Click - > Quanitize in Reason after I lay down a drum track or something the notes go off, and the timing is just sounds like shit.. idk how to get it right...

What are you quantizing as: 8th note, 8th note triplet, 16th note, 16 note triplet etc ect.?

If you're doing something basic you may be able to go with 8th note. If you're doubling up, dropin' some ghost beats 16th or 32nd may be how you need to quantize.

It could as so be the latency of your sound card. It's sounding one way when you hit the pads but it could actually be laying the hits down later than you think. If so no amount of quantization will fix that. You'll have the get the latency in check first.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I dont know how to assign each pad a diff sound in NN-XT .. If anyone can help me with it'd be greatly appreciated.. Another BIg problem I', having is:

If your trying to map a DIFFERENT wav file to each pad, you have to do that one by one inside the NNXT...Its very straight forward tho. Once u add the wavs into the editor, you have to click on each one at a time and then truncate the span of keys it covers by dragging the bar at the top to the specific key you only want each sound to come from. Do that for each sound. Also, all params on the XT are there to help mold the sounds even more so dont forget about your filters and your envelopes....Its the same thing, first click on the sound you would like to effect in the editor - then the params below should light up and be editable, then tweak to taste.

members online