Posting music

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Where and how?

If you're posting music for the sake of showcasing beats and wanting views etc where and how are you going about this?

Looking to hear from people with some actual knowledge or currently doing this and getting numbers.

My aim is to start putting my stuff online and have people discover it (and then hopefully want to listen to it).

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
I hear consistency is the key to this approach. I see many posting daily on YouTube. For example that DJPain 1 and Currtis King and this Dilly guy usually posts about 2 - 3 beats daily. If I had the time and no other career besides music, perhaps I would also try this approach. Or perhaps, I don't yet posses the discipline or maybe I am lazy. Here is a pretty good video circulating on YouTube that explains how the approach works for someone who claims to make a decent living doing so: BTW, this is his info channel, his actual beat channel with over 47 Million views is https://www.youtube.com/@Dillygotitbumpin

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I hear consistency is the key to this approach. I see many posting daily on YouTube. For example that DJPain 1 and Currtis King and this Dilly guy usually posts about 2 - 3 beats daily. If I had the time and no other career besides music, perhaps I would also try this approach. Or perhaps, I don't yet posses the discipline or maybe I am lazy. Here is a pretty good vide circulating on YouTube that explains how the approach works for someone who claims to make a decent living doing so: BTW, this is his info channel, his actual beat channel with over 47 Million views is https://www.youtube.com/@Dillygotitbumpin

I take issue with this... obviously I get it cause "the algorithm" for one, and two also there's this obsessive demand from fans or such.

The problem with this, is you overrate yourself and then either churn out rubbish etc.

Another problem I see with this is kind of supply and demand aspect. Or similar, whereas where would be the anticipation or investment to want to hear a music from someone if there's a new one or 3 every day. Obviously you'd need to be frequent enough so that people's interests won't wane. But yeah, this is why so much content creation is pointless crap. People posting for the sake of posting.

3 beats a day definitely not the route I'm going to be looking for. I will have to find one of the ways that works using less frequency and other methods.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
I take issue with this... obviously I get it cause "the algorithm" for one, and two also there's this obsessive demand from fans or such.

The problem with this, is you overrate yourself and then either churn out rubbish etc.

Another problem I see with this is kind of supply and demand aspect. Or similar, whereas where would be the anticipation or investment to want to hear a music from someone if there's a new one or 3 every day. Obviously you'd need to be frequent enough so that people's interests won't wane. But yeah, this is why so much content creation is pointless crap. People posting for the sake of posting.

3 beats a day definitely not the route I'm going to be looking for. I will have to find one of the ways that works using less frequency and other methods.
With this approach, he said he didn't see growth until Bow Wow jumped on one of his beats after about a year posting consistently and that is when his channel took off. He apparently has been doing this less than 10 years but puts a lot of time into it. Maybe much more than the average person. Then he is doing the Type Beat stuff too on his channel. I guess if you shoot enough shots, you are bound to get lucky (eventually) and land one even if you aren't a good "basketball" player. I do see what you mean about the quality over quantity aspect. I think whoever comes up with an AI or software that can definitively say that a particular beat is good and is likely to "blow-up" that person will become massively rich if the software is accurate. I know not everyone is not going to be your tribe or like your beats and that is cool. The key, I think is finding your tribe and building from there and not worrying if your beat is perfect. We hear imperfections every day in hip-hop whether commercialized or underground.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I know not everyone is not going to be your tribe or like your beats and that is cool. The key, I think is finding your tribe and building from there and not worrying if your beat is perfect.
This is definitely it.

I wonder if having a really small niche is a benefit, as there won't be many other options available - even for me as a listener, I remember finding a couple producers i liked, and thinking 'fuck this genre is sick, wtf is it?' then not being able to even identify a genre for it and struggling to find similar.

I can see the above both being a benefit and a detriment; you'll likely get noticed easier by people seeking that same high, but how do you then build and go beyond that from there?

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
This is definitely it.

I wonder if having a really small niche is a benefit, as there won't be many other options available - even for me as a listener, I remember finding a couple producers i liked, and thinking 'fuck this genre is sick, wtf is it?' then not being able to even identify a genre for it and struggling to find similar.

I can see the above both being a benefit and a detriment; you'll likely get noticed easier by people seeking that same high, but how do you then build and go beyond that from there?

I was watching the documentary series on Netflix "Evolution of Hip Hop" I noticed a common thread about the artists (MCs and Producers) who make it in the industry. They started in their lane and networked their way to the top. Artists after artist. Same formula. Got their demo or mix tape in the right hands and then there was this snowball effect as long as they were consistent with their work.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I was watching the documentary series on Netflix "Evolution of Hip Hop" I noticed a common thread about the artists (MCs and Producers) who make it in the industry. They started in their lane and networked their way to the top. Artists after artist. Same formula. Got their demo or mix tape in the right hands and then there was this snowball effect as long as they were consistent with their work.
That's dope

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's tough because like everything today, everyone's doing it so it's very hard to stand out.

The ones that gets lots of views/likes/sales are most likely making type beats, which is what the people want. So you can be consistent for a year and still not get many views because it depends on what people are looking for. You might get a loyal following from a small group of people but for the masses you would have to do like everyone else, for example like all the Youtube video thumbnails with a shocked look on your face.

And a title like "I MADE THIS BEAT... THEN THIS HAPPENED".

But putting out content all the time, every day might be good for the algorithm but your creativity will tank in no time.

For me, I make stuff whenever I make stuff. I can't force myself to make stuff 24/7. It's the same with lots of Youtube channels where I see them making videos on a certain topic for a while, then eventually they lose steam and run out of ideas so they simply change their channel into a vlog where they just make videos about their life WITH their hobby in it. But even that too becomes boring.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
So maybe the look is...

Making whatever you like, especially if it doing its own thing.
Hope that it gets picked up in its niche, or randomly.
Let the momentum build from there and build off the back of it. Ride your wave if it ever finds you.

All about the luck, engineered luck, and then using it right if you get lucky.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Another thing is if you make something completely different. Let's say you make Boom Bap. What if you made COUNTRY BAP!?!? If it's dope enough and on Youtube you could make the video just an image of some hot chick (and your thumbnail too), promote it a bit on social media, etc.

Pay Day Money GIF

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Another thing is if you make something completely different. Let's say you make Boom Bap. What if you made COUNTRY BAP!?!? If it's dope enough and on Youtube you could make the video just an image of some hot chick (and your thumbnail too), promote it a bit on social media, etc.

Pay Day Money GIF
Dunno bout as a genre, but as a food a country bap sounds like it could be delicious.

Or the baps of a Southern belle

From my point of view, I find it very difficult to even get people to listen to my music, let alone like it. I use soundcloud and youtube, but I get very little listeners compared to years ago when I had my website and myspace. Im also not obsessively promoting myself, or promoting myself at all for that matter and thats where my problems have always been.
I make a beat, I upload it, share here, get about 20 to 30 plays, often less. And thats the lifetime of the beat. It is what it is, Ive gotten used to it.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
From my point of view, I find it very difficult to even get people to listen to my music, let alone like it. I use soundcloud and youtube, but I get very little listeners compared to years ago when I had my website and myspace. Im also not obsessively promoting myself, or promoting myself at all for that matter and thats where my problems have always been.
I make a beat, I upload it, share here, get about 20 to 30 plays, often less. And thats the lifetime of the beat. It is what it is, Ive gotten used to it.
Wow. As long as you are getting what you want out of your music production, that is all that matters.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah it's always tough for getting exposure. You would have to spend some good money to promote your channel or just get lucky enough for something to go viral. The traditional way to promote yourself online was to interact with as many people as possible in forums and then on social media. The more eyeballs see your name and links you post, the more of a chance someone will click. Unfortunately it's just not like that anymore.

I'm telling you guys.... COUNTRY BAP would take off. We could be the innovators.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Exposure @Fade is tough because people have been conditioned to only like/know/support what’s popular on some Pavlovian response shit.

Exposure @Fade is tough because people have been conditioned to only like/know/support what’s popular on some Pavlovian response shit.
Its always been like that, thats nothing new. But DJ's used to be the gateway to new music, new artists and the latest bangers. Its not like that anymore.

members online