Pro Tools HELP!!

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Ok, I've alreaday poseted this thread but I wan never really given a detailed answer.

I'm a DJ and just completed my first professional mixed CD. It's about 25 tracks in length. I'm wondering how I can make a master copy (to send out to the printers) with all the tracks broken down seperately, instead of having a 1 track cd (with the track being 78 minutes long).

Right now the CD is still in it's original pro tools session with all sorts of different audio tracks with sound effects and other tracks laid on top. I'm assuming the first job is to bounce the whole 78 minute session to 1 audio track. After bouncing to the disk, how do I break the tracks up?

I'm using Pro Tools LE on MAC OSX and my burning program is Toast. I'm very new to this and wanna do it right. So if I could get DETAILED instructions on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated! I need a master copy of the CD I can give to the printers, becuase I'm having approximately 1000 copies made, and I want them done properly.....No mistakes.....Thanks!!

C

CooGi_dice

i have protools le as well.... ive never ran into this problem though since i use protools le in a diffrent way.

sh*t, i just typed out a way i thought it might work but then i relized that it wouldnt... so i had to backspace lika a mutha....

the only thing i can say is that its probobly in the manual, ive never read the manual but i did skim threw it when i first got my digi 002... i belive what your trying to do is addressed in there... if not email digi design, ive hurd there real good with answering ?'s.

C

Copenhagen

I think, the best way would be to take the whole 78 minute track and cut it up into "individual" songs in a sound editor. Otherwise, I guess you have to go into ProTools and start muting stuff etc, will take you some time though.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Copenhagen man I totally 4got to send the info to you...let me get on my Job and get it to you.....also to move to the original question if I understand you correctly DJSwivel you have one big track that is 74 minutes long, you can do a few things one thing to make it less confusing is to first save it as a new session (so you have a working copy) name it track1....... locate each point about 3 or 4 minutes where you want to fade that segment out for the first track......you can slice the track at that first point then delete everything after that point and save it again..........then go back to the original and save it as Track 2...you can locate the next part of the track you want to cut and slice it at the end of where you want that track to fade out or end.....then delete everything after it so you just have that part you selected for the song......you can keep going until you have about 17 or 18 PTS files each on only containing the cut part for a track.........now since you have 17 separate files it will make it easier to work with...........at this point you can......can concentrate on each of these like a single song or track......but you will need to bounce each track in that song separately to a wave file to a folder.......how do you do this? well you can solo 1 track at a time and bounce it until you have each track bounced individually.......I don't know any other way to multitrack bounce in protools....is there an easier way?......I know if you are methodical and organized you initial audio folder should contain all of the waves but sometimes depending fx and things like that other files can get in there....

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
that seems like a lot wof work......I'd say about 10 hours of work...lol

There's about 25 or26 audio tracks. So you htink i should create 25 or whatever rpo tools files and have each file contain 1 track at the chop points i want?? then after doing that to all 25 tracks, bounce them all down, then burn it?? Damn, there has to be an easier way

Anyone else???

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
you might be able to locate the separated files in the original audio folder you first started the project in....you might have 12 tracks or so depending on number of audio tracks.......each one of them might be named whatever description you gave the audio track....best case scenario you haven't done a lot of chopping or you wont have all 12 at 78 minutes each you'll have around 12 and a whole bunch of small audio files....(the samples etc...)....that is the easiest way I know and the other method is the usual one if you had just one song.... there is no easy way to do what you are asking and I have been using protools heavily for about 2years.......maybe there is a guru or someone that has done exactly what you are doing Mr DJ that might help you accomplish it.....I would be interested to know also....( oh I just thought about this too if you have samples on tracks by themselve the only way the sample is going to be able to maintain it's placement in the track relative to the rest of the other tracks is to bounce it unless you only are doing this for someone else that will open it in protools......because when you separate the tracks it will just be a wave file (the size of the sample not the whole track it is on)so you need empty wave or silence recorded before the sample cues especially if it is a single (bomb or explosion or other effect and it is only triggering 4 or 5 times on the 74 minute track. and you need empty wave on the other side of where it triggers....follow me?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Damn sorry Swivel....but can I ask you a question.....you said you have a 74 minute 1 track......you want to break it down into smaller pieces right........here is the reason for confusion......I am picturing that you want slice this into smaller pieces so when you load the cd you don't have 1 track but 20 or so tracks...like separate songs......????

but are you wanting to have each of those broken down into multitrack like this?
snare
bass
kik
sample
????

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
lol.....nah, this is a DJ mixed cd....the tracks are all popular tracks out that are all fully sequenced etc.

Right now, its in about 7 different mulitracks, some have effects, some have vocal samples, some have full tracks, some have acapellas, and other have instrumentals for some of the remixes i did on the cd.

First im gonna bounce it down to 1 audio track. 78 minutes, 1 track

But when i burn it, i want likt 25 different tracks on the cd.....instead of 1....the cd still has to play continuously, just its 25 tracks instead of 1....understand now?? lol

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
There is some kind of way you can use an index or song marker on the one big wave file....but I can't remember I just looked in my manual too....the other way is to
Slice or highlight each area you want to use for a track from the master 78minute track.....then bounce...only what you highlight on that master track will bounce and move to the next segment or you can slice it.....that will take about and hour and 20 or so
then you will have each track ready to burn then you could fade each one and don't insert a 2 second space between each track on the cd......

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Do you want to cut it up whilst mastering in ProTools, or do you have Spark?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Hey man I want to know too because now I know completely understand what you are talking about, one of my old bands about 4 years ago used to record the practice to 2 cd's and it was nonstop but we would get a cd of the practice that had individual tracks when you put it in your cd player so you could skip to the part you wanted to hear but there was no break in the whole recording.....that's what I think you are trying to do to your file right?

light

Producer
ill o.g.
You could Bounce each part individually by highlighting, part by part, each song.

Or you could use a cd burning program that gives you a waveform view and allows you to remove and add track markers. i use cakewalk pyro.