production software..preferences

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what's good yall.

the mpc is out of commission (4 dead pads). but i have that itch to knock out some joints, so i'm opening myself to software to knock out some joints and add it to my production. i have access to a couple fl programs (fl 7, and fl7xxl). i don't think my system will run reasons very well. i've also heard of a program called storm that, to me, at least appears to function like reasons. would would be a good program that's fairly user friendly?

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well i'm not certain if it can (i'm runnin less that a gig of RAM if that gives you an idea of what my pc is like)i thought FL was not as robust as Reason, thus it will not be a resouce hog as reason. maybe using an older version of reason or FL?..suggestions?

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I could run Fl4 on my old PC but Reason 2.0 was a no go ..it had sumthin similar to the specs of yours..so i wuld go with FL. U will still have to go lite on the effects but for sampling and sequencing you should be straight

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Word fix the pads but if u goin from the MPC to Software i would suggest FL.
the reason being i went from FL to the MPC2500 and the transition was super smooth. i guarantee once u get ya MP back youll keep FL in ya arsenal. Any version from 3.0 on will do what YOU need it to do to be honest.GoodLuck

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for the advice, i appreciate it. to answer some of your questions..
buy more RAM?..this pc max's out at 512mb, that's where i'm at
Fix the pads? it's definitely apart of my plan, just have to get pricing, but i want to put myself in a situation where i'm still productive with my mp, so i won't stress the turn time to get it repaired. once the mp comes back, i'll definitely keep the software in the arsenal no doubt. thanks again fellas. Peace.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the only type of PC I can think of that will max out at 512MB is an intel Pentium 3 running on an i815 chipset. I have a machine like that sitting here at my desk at the office (1GHz Dell GX150 - it's my test/script machine). you could be ok with either Reason or FL Studio as long as you're not using a lot of huge samples. What's really going to make a difference is your audio card. What kind of audio card are you using in that box?

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What kind of pc is it? PC's have topped out at 512 in over 7 years.
LOL..it's an old rebuilt joint i copped for a couple hundred bucks a couple years back. trust, a new pc is in the plan when uncle sam sends me my money!

the only type of PC I can think of that will max out at 512MB is an intel Pentium 3 running on an i815 chipset. I have a machine like that sitting here at my desk at the office (1GHz Dell GX150 - it's my test/script machine). you could be ok with either Reason or FL Studio as long as you're not using a lot of huge samples. What's really going to make a difference is your audio card. What kind of audio card are you using in that box?
i'm using an m-audio usb sound card. haven't ran into any issues as far recording software (sonar, audition) and the soundcard. i haven't ran any production software, so i was uncertain which route to take in terms of which software to use.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I am not sure of your model of mpc but there are pad replacements. For the MPC1k here is a video tutorial of the actual replacement

and here is an ebay link for the purchasing of the pad sensors from ebay, I had a hard time finding dealers.. I would personally contact Akai though for the newest version. If you had an mpc1k then the replacements from Akai will have the feel of the 2000, 3000, and 4000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-MPC-Pad-Sensor-Replacment_W0QQitemZ160206264784QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck.. but kiko.. getcho MPC back up

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
never heard of it, what is it?

Arturia Storm:
http://www.arturia.com/en/storm/studio.php

I heard about it on Modernbeats.com and got suckered into buying for $100.00, now I already had Reason 3.0 so this was a biiiig down grade and practically a waste of money.

I still have it if you want it :mask:

I'll sell it to ya for $200

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
aiight. i tried some demos and the audio is chopped to hell(latency) when i tried FL7. i got a hold of FL 5 studio xxl which the playback seems to work fine without latency. but let me make sure i'm understanding something...

(in a sample based production)

an older version of FL (like 5) you basically edit your samples with a different wave editor(audition,soundforge,etc)
and then come to FL to select their queue points in the arrangements (of course add any effects that FL provides if needed)?

i ask this because i know FL7 has the edison wav editor which allows you to chop samples within Fl with the use of edison and then you can plant your chops where you want. of course the older versions don't have an onboard wav editor(from what i've found so far anyway). so i'm just tryin to wrap my head around what the process will be like (bouncing from audition/soundforge to FL? or doing it all within FL?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Ahhh....if dudes only knew the beauty of what is "Ableton Live 7"! There's no bouncing around....everything you need is right there in a straight forward format. WARP is the future!