Proteus 2000???

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
does anyone here own this? have you heard it? i'm likely going to make my way to a store to check out my options. i am presently leaning towards this. everyone says the sounds are weak, the pianos suck, etc. then again, i cant stand much of the Triton series that everyone loves so much..... does anyone have experience with these?

C

Copenhagen

I don't have the Proteus machine but I have a sample CD with all the individual sounds...and I personally don't think that they are very good.

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
well -- there's that! -- i heard that it's a pretty good module -- but based off of these two responses, i must now go find out for myself -- y'all are changing my perception now -- lol

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Man look I had an mp7.....and the plastic sounds do not do it for me.......the only thing about the mp7 is the step sequencer.....if yamaha had integrated a sequencer like that in the motif it would make that board perfect.....the motif sequencer is nice though...(if you now how to use it correctly and a small secret.....use it with your mpc can control it with the motif'sequencer especially if you don't have the newest MPC's you can do a lot of neat shit if you don't feel like loading samples into the MO

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
i think i am getting the motif rack. i am going to use my mpc for a sequencer, so i dont need one on the rack. i just looked at all f these today.... and i must say that while the proteus isnt too bad, the motif rack blows it away. its only draw back is it doesnt have some of the expansion options as the proteus. i also looked at the vintage pro and this thing is AWESOME. the strings and voices they got on this are amazing, especially when they are layered over each other. that will be my next purchase after the motif is paid off. i recommend checking this one out, or getting the rom if you have a proteus module already. thanks for the input guys!!

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
see the deal with the motif is not having as much expansions as the the rolands or the emu's or korgs is because yamaha gives you the best sounds right away unlike roland you have to to buy the orcha exboard to get cool strings or what ever....thats one thing alot of people say about the motif is the best all in one keyboard out there when it comes to getting a lil of every thing thats good... yamaha plg cards are old yamaha tech. that is still wanted so instead of buying another old yamaha classic board or having to carry it around too you can get the plg board of it...the best one for you to look at if you ever do is the Dx board...but the mo rack has more new sounds then my motif keyboard so you should be good for a while....

B

Beatbrigade

I have a proteus 2000 and have mixed feelings. the basses are weak, the lead are hot, pianos ok, i probably would get a trinity if i could go back in time

Waynyce

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Iv'e used the proteus 200 with a Triton and the Proteus has better drums and it's got a lot of other useable sounds too.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I'm gonna step on some toes here...

The Proteus 2000 is probably the best bang for buck out there. For about $500 you get 32mb of sounds plus the ability to expand it with the ROM from their MP-7, the big purple box RZA used in some of his productions:

http://www.emu.com/products/mp7/RZA_ad.html

I know that he was paid to endorse the thing, but if you listen to the sounds on it you will hear that it truly is awesome.

This weekend I was listening to the "Drama King" Kay Slay (is that right? my cousin bought a bootleg mix cd by him), I hear Emu sounds ALL over those tracks. It's easy to program from the front panel or with Sound Diver, it has great sounds, and it's CHEAP.

I personally like the drums a lot, there are tons of kits in the factory ROM and you can expand them with new ROMs if you need more.

For you guys who have the Proteus sample cd's, they are bootlegs; Emu does not make sample cd's of this synth, only ROM's. Who knows if they even really sampled a real Proteus 2000?

Take care,

Nick

C

Copenhagen

Nick, the one I have is a refill for Reason and as far as I can tell it's mae by Nice Bytes Synthline/Cisco Heat. Don't know if that's a bootleg or if the sounds are in fact the real Proteus. Perhaps I should make a beat with some of the sounds...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Copenhagen you are off topic. Now get back to the subject before i close the thread!!!!!!!!

hey do you guys know if there is a sample cd of their vintage pro anywhere?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
well, i actually own one now, and it is actually a great machine! the effects tweaking is by far the easiest i have seen and the midi interface is the best as well, you literally just change the channel.... no implimentation, nothing like that! soundwise, the drums are better for hip hop then even the mighty motif (but the motif has WAY better acustic drums....) and even the percussion kits are nice. the strings are excellent to me, but dont go looking for anything like a cello, viola or violin.... most of these are great string patches themselves. the guitars are cool, but not as good as the motif but the pianos are a lot better then i thought they would be (still not the greatest, but still very useable in capable hands) and the "vintage" electric pianos and organs are good to.... for the price it really is "the better bang for your buck" but it is a must to have options......

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I personally own a Proteus 2000 .....my thoughts on it are it could use some better piano sounds and guitar sounds. but overall .... for the price,you can'r beat it and you can do alot with it if your creative.

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
this forum was very helpful to me aswell because i have been debating getting a proteus 2000 myself, i think i am also going to go for it, for the money and expandability it sounds worth it.

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
I have a Proteus 2000 becuase i planned on getting the mo'phat module but thought it would be better just to get the 2000 and get the add on cards for it. The Proteus has great basses, pianos, and percussion ( except kicks ). some down sides me and my cousin dont like is that alot of sounds are repeated. we also cant get or figure out how to use fx on one channel ( if some knows please tell me how ). but bottom line the proteus is a solid module with tons of add on availble. the guitars are so lovely.

members online