Reason 8!! :)

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Man, this looks amazing. Finally they are starting to listen to what people wanted from Reason. It does seem like the workflow is a lot smoother, and that new mixer looks rather beast.

Yo dream, what editing feautures is it kinda lacking? Is it moreso the editing of audio?

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
ah ok, yeah I havent upgraded since 5.

At this point now I feel itd probably be worth giving a shot.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yea I would. For almost everyone on ill it's waaayyy more than enough. Now if you do post work or lots and lots of audio editing I would supplement it with other tools. But it's certainly more full featured then fl or maschine at this point. And audio editing in reason is better than ableton but not near as good as pro tools/sonar/logic/cubase etc

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Oh sure and I don't know that it would make sense to. Sonar is a fantastic tool and doesn't get enough credit, I do feel that sonar and fl from a design perspective are inconsistent in their ui's but sonar is always at the cutting edge of technology like 64bit, VST3, touch etc. also sonar handles multilayer midi editing better than any other daw. Sky light is really innovative and the pro channel sounds just fantastic. I just wish there was a Mac version. It seems like their are kind of two different daw camps, one is the play have fun and be creative camp and that's what fl/reason/ableton/bitwig fall in to and then there is the power house run a full studio tools like sonar/cubase/logic/pro tools/dp so to change from a lets be creative daw to a studio daw and back and forth is kind of an odd move. You almost need one of each. Maschine is the oddball right now because it is a very creative platform but it still isn't really a daw, it's just a great sampler/sequencer but I sure would not ever track vocals or a drum kit to maschine. So right now my main creative tools are reason/maschine/ableton for creating, sonar for the studio stuff, audition for hard core editing and studio one for mastering. I do some mixing in reason because the ssl is so great, but sonar has ssl/neve and more emulations. Pretty cool time we live in when you think about it :)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's true, lots of options to choose from and they're all really good. Reason has always been fun to use but I've been a Cakewalk user since the 90's, so it would be difficult to switch (not that I would), but still, it would be fun to play with Reason and see what's new.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Yea I think it's always cool to try and new tool for a bit just to change how you do things once in a while as it's easy to get stuck in one way of working. Now you sure don't want to keep changing daws and never get any work done but to try ableton or reason after years of sonar use can be fun. One example is that when I got maschine the sampling was so streamlined and different that it actually caused me to work differently when I use reason now and how I edit samples is better for it because using maschine I learned a different way. Even though I don't use maschine as much these days. Rethinking your process and learning something new is always good. :)

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
To bad we lost the discussion here, it was really good! Oh well anyway

I dont think I am suppose to say anything, but of course I am beta testing this and honestly at first I was a bit disappointed by a few things. Its a fine upgrade, but it seemed a bit odd in use. Then I wen't back to Reason 7 to get some work done as you know, betas suck. And it hit me like a ton of bricks how much better Reason 8 was. The workflow is SOOO much better you get used to it really fast and then its hard to go back. So while R8 is missing a few features I was hoping for I can tell you first hand this thing is great!

members online