Reviews Review Of T.I. "Urban Legend"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
urbanlegend.jpg

I HAVE TO ADMIT, when T.I. first came out, he had a hot single with Beanie Man, but I didn't believe him, not enough to spend my money on. I was surprised to see him last to a second album. And that's when the sirens went off. "Trap Muzik" is a classic LP. After discouraging sales of "I'm Serious", T.I. came back in 2003 with more confidence and borderline conceit. It's that determination and fuck you attitude that has made T.I. a major success and has awakened the sleepers, winning over many new fans. The swagger carries over to Urban Legend, his second release in as many years on Atlantic and his own Grand Hustle imprint.

"By definition, an urban legend is a myth, a falsehood. It's only believed because it's heard about so much. So I took the time to uncover the truth." The truth is, under normal circumstances, when someone has to anoint themselves a legend it's normally the opposite, but T.I. seems to have a knack for accurate self proclamations. The self proclaimed 'King of the South' released his third album with a legion of followers. It has also become apparent that the title indeed fits.

With no intro, no outro, no skits, and the Luda beef dead, T.I. picks up strongly from where he left off on "Trap Muzik". T.I. appears to only get better with time, from folks not knowing the name of his first album to appearances at NY's Apollo theatre and heavy anticipation of his new LP. Catapulted into the public eye after Trap Muzik's first single "Rubber Band" hit with fans, he received the same response to Urban Legend's contagious first single "Bring 'Em Out" produced by Swizz Beats. T.I. is known for his confident swagger which is emitted through his lyrics as clever boasts. These boasts continue throughout the album but these boasts are performed with such execution of skill and a monster flow that one can't be mad about.

An example is the second verse of "The Greatest" a track produced by Mannie Fresh. T.I. goes to work with lines like "I used to dream about a Benz now I own like three / I got the wine colored "V" / With the wine colored feet / And recline leather seats / I ain't lying I'm a beast." Pharrell sings (if that's the word) on "Freak Though" a song which places T.I. in the dilemma of falling for a shorty who's a little loose. A different concept, but who can't relate to lines like "I just respect that she herself and don't hide it, although she may have been a tad misguided"? T.I. uses his southern drawl to enhance his east coast influenced rhymes. While listening to this album it's easy to forget that T.I. is a rapper, these songs come off more as melodic conversations. The beat is often a pleasant backdrop for vivid descriptions and sick flows. The production on this album is on point.

ti.jpg

The guest spots ranging from Nelly to Daz Dillinger don't take away from the overall product either. What separates T.I. from other southern rappers is an unexaggerated persona, and true to life street credibility. That along with a sick flow and a demeanor to match has broadened his appeal. T.I. got an early jump on 2005 as he has much to say on "Urban Legend". The mark was placed on 2004 and the year went out with T.I.'s name in many mouths and anticipation on many minds.

Any other artist coming off of two consecutive successful albums might see a reason to chill, but anyone who has watched the man formally known as T.I.P. knows there is no way 2005 will go by as a silent year. Recently Vibe magazine asked if T.I. was the Jay-Z of the south and while it may be unfair to compare, there is an answer to the question. As T.I. comes into his own and emerges to become more of a superstar some young MC in the future may be compared to him.

Shouts to Tim D on the MP3's.

READ THE REVIEWS ON AMAZON