1. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    [​IMG]

Which is better? In the hip hop production game, samples play a HUGE part of how a track is put together and most of the time whether or not the track is a hit or miss. But are hip hop producers better off using sample kits or vinyl to find their sounds? It's basically a matter of pure preference and also if you're just making music or if you're in a hurry to bang out a quick beat. Both forms have their advantages, let's take a look at them.

Sample Kits

For those that are not familiar with this form, a sample kit is just that; a kit with samples in it. It could come from a CD, disk, or a zip file on your computer. They've been insanely popular for a number of years now because of its simplicity and ease of use. Looking for a horn? Click - it's right there. Snare? Just look in the Snare folder and you're good to go.

Advantages:

• Easy to use
    • Quickly find whatever sound you need
    • Great for any DAW
    [​IMG]

Vinyl

Ah yes, vinyl. For all the purists out there, this is surely the way to go. What's great about vinyl is that it's perfect for hip hop in that it has a thick, warm sound, hiss and crackle if that's what you're looking for, and it makes scratching a sample easy since it's already on the turntable.

Advantages:

• Great for DJ's/Producers
    • The sound is perfect for hip hop
    • You'll always find a hidden gem
    The Debate

It's almost like a software vs. hardware thing where producers will argue with each other forever just to prove which one is better. The fact is, they both are equally good and both have their uses.

Sample Kits are great to use because you can find any sound you need very quickly without having to sift through tons of vinyl just hoping you'll find that particular sound. I've used both kits and vinyl and I guess for me it just depends on what mood I'm in. A disadvantage for vinyl is that you have to have a turntable and some sort of mixer if you plan on sampling a record into your DAW.

[​IMG]

However, nothing beats going through stacks of records until you find that one hidden gem that no one else has (or at least you're hoping that's the case). With a sample kit, you know for sure that there's many other producers out there that are probably using the same kits that you are, so right there that's a disadvantage to you, because who wants someone else to release a song that sounds similar to their own?

Make Your Own

One of the great things about sample kits is that you can simply make your own! Why not take the samples you find from vinyl and make your own personal kits, that way you can just grab those quick samples from your kits when you need them? This way you're using the best of both worlds, you can even set aside some time to do just that. Take a day to go through your vinyl, pull out some samples and make them into a kit that you can use another day when you're ready to make a beat.

Conclusion

As I've mentioned, this is simply a matter of preference. Want to make a quick beat? Grab a sample kit and get started. Want to explore and possibly find a hidden gem? Dust off the vinyl, it's all up to you. What's your opinion?

2. OffSet

OffSet

*** ill o.g. ***
    I work with both, but only thing I don't like about some sample kit . I rather make one myself!

3. Shonsteez

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    For me choppin a break aint no thing, so if I got a piece that has a nice break Ill mos def chop it, but when the record doesnt have any dope drums I'll reach for my pre-made drum kits....To me, drums are in their own category of "sample kit" anyways...I mean their drums, you do what you like with them - their ultimately not the main melody or idea of the track like the sample which is how most tracks tend to assemble themselves. But if the roles are reversed and you rely more on sample kits that contain the glue of your track that just feels like no fun to me. I might as well just record over ready-made instrumentals some other producer already did for me....Cuz even tho you can flip that "ready-made" sample however you like theres just no originality or fun in it that way to me. Id rather dig my own samples....Record them myself....Add my own personal noise to them....Not to keep hiphop alive or some bullshit like that but rather becuz I feel like thats really the heart and soul of what makes good sample beats what they are....its the effort YOU put in.

4. DJ Excellence

DJ Excellence

Burpman
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    I use both, I like kits for drums because they're ready to use and most of time well compressed; chopping a drum break can be time-consuming.

5. dj360_iNfInItE1

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    BTW, I don't like construction kits at all. I make my own kits from older songs and what not whether by mp3, or vinyl. I do homwever have some drum kits that I have accumulated over the years. Some great, some not so great but the construction kits with some made up melody deconstructed for you, LOL! That's kinda silly IMO. I don't want a ready made song that just needs to be reconstructed like a lego set.

6. dj360_iNfInItE1

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    DEFINITELY use both. Back in the golden era of hip hop, if technology was where it is now, those hip hop producers back then wouldn't have limited themselves. To use only vinyl just because is silly and closed minded. I can understand if you want to get a certain sound but there is more than one way to get it done. I personally sample from any source that I have available to me. I am not going to handicap myself for the sake of purity. RIDICULOUS!

7. Sucio

Sucio

Old and dirty...
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Do both!!!

Don't limit yourself...

8. izodone

izodone

The Wizard Of ODD
    I use both too but I don't use like construction kit loops or anything with an instrument akready playing a certain melody cuz like steez said you know someone else out there has that already.and what's the use of fallin' in love with a beat or song you made outta someone elses compositions?drums from kits r koo but still make em your own.and dig dig dig there are too maby gems on vinyl not to.what am I saying?no don't dig cause then it's more for me!jk