1. The Beat This! results are in, see what went down.

Samplers to get a vintage / nostalgic sound

1. Bugsy

Bugsy

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    So I'm currently in the market looking for Hardware, mostly samplers that have that vintage sound to it or mostly color the sound with filters. This isn't the only reason I'm getting one, I have been doing music mostly on the computer and was wanting to have the option to step away from that every now and again.

So far I have my eyes on the Akai MPC 2000xl and the Ensoniq ASR-10 but are proving to be a hassle if they were ever to be inserted into my workflow. So I started looking at racks and other samplers like the Roland SP 303.

I was hoping to get anyone who has the experience to help out and maybe give tips or point out other hardware that might help. I just want my sound to be a bit more dirty and vintage.

Thanks in advance

2. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    For old school hardware, there's lots of options. I was in the same situation last year - I was using Maschine for a long time but wanted something standalone and with a better feel so I bought an MPC 2500. And it's a lot of fun plus it gets the job done.

Are you looking just for a sampler or something as the main part of your setup?

You can't go wrong with the MPC 2000. The ASR is dope too but more limited. The SP 303 would be great, but again, is it to be your main piece? I've looked a lot at the SP 404 and I would love to get one.

As long as one of these units has MIDI then you can definitely use them within your setup (I don't know what you have). If you're looking for just a sampler, well that's a different beast.

Let me know.

3. Bugsy

Bugsy

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    Yeah, randomly found your video earlier today. I had one as well a few years back only lasted me a month or so as I was just starting out in music production.
    I have the 404sx but it doesn't do much, it sounds like whatever you put into it and editing features are not as in depth as I want it to be, but then again that's just maybe me wanting a screen.
    So it doesn't get used much, only for live performances.

I'm definitely aiming to get to that warm vintage sound, so I was thinking of recording into the sampler, chop and process then track it out into my SP404SX then dump them in my DAW.
    Ableton will still be the brains and my main tool.

So with that being said, I have a lot of options, which makes it harder to choose. Rack, Samplers, or probably just buy a VST ( Akai RX950 )

The most logical way would be to go the VST route.
    But a part of me says go hardware.

Have you been able to check out the MPC Live?

4. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    So you want something to make your beats on as a standalone? I would go with an MPC then. Me too, I always track out to Ableton at the end but all the beatmaking is on the MPC.

I saw the RX950 plugin. Looks good, lots of good reviews, but it's STILL not hardware!

If you're just looking for samplers, you can go the 12-bit route (S900/950) or other samplers like the 1000. There's others too of course like some old Zoom samplers.

The SP404 doesn't look good for a main unit but I'm interested in it to play with. It seems to have some great features like the effects.

I didn't check the MPC Live hands on but I was really close to getting that instead of my 2500. It looks really good. But when I did my research last year on all these products, I went with an old product because they were just better made (everything back then!). I don't trust the newer stuff right now, especially since I went through three Maschine units.

Check out some James Wiltshire videos, it's always fun to see what he's messing with:

Plus check MAARTN. So much gear!

https://www.youtube.com/user/REALHIPH0PHEAD/videos

5. Bugsy

Bugsy

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    Omg, you made the switch to Ableton? since when? How are you liking it?
    my Maschine doesn't get much love either, only when I travel. what happened to yours?

Thanks Fade, Ill check those out.

If any one else has any experience, let me know :D

6. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Yeah I still use Sonar but Ableton is easier to set up when I'm tracking out from the MPC. It's a great program but I'm still adjusting to it since I've been using Sonar for so long.

I had the Maschine MK1 - crapped out. Random stuff happening. Sent it back and got a refurbished unit.
    I had the Maschine MK2 - crapped out. It was much better than the MK1 but after a few years it started to bug out with random things that had a mind of its own.
    I had the Maschine MK3 - didn't like it. I just didn't like the feel and plus the audio interface inside didn't play nice with my set up so I sent it back. Then I got the MPC!

7. ILL-GREEN

ILL-GREEN

Monster One
    I have a rule at my dojo. If you aint grimey for real or Mr. Clean for fake then you never gonna have that dusty vintage sound. You gotta be it to produce it.

Another thing is that you can achieve that sound with any sampler. For my tastes, I always prefer the latest and the greatest out there. Its all about what you sample and where it came from. 75% of my catalog is CDs sampled into an MV8800, people still think I utilized an SP1200 and vinyl.

Fade likes this.