Schedule/ routine

P.A.U.L_E

Strickly Rich Ent.
Battle Points: 6
What's Up Beat makers and producers,

My name is Paul aka P.A.U.L_E from Richmond, Ca. I'm 23 years old and I have been making beats for about 9 years as a hobby. I'm sure like most of you, you are tired of working a 9-5 and thought about taking beat making a little more serious. I wanted to know what's every bodies routine? I work 6-2:30 everyday, I wanted to ask what everybody suggestion on how to schedule my time because i am having a hard time balancing work, beats and family. How many hours do you put in and is there certain days that you work a little less and still be able to get some work in? ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED!

Keep making Bangers,
P.A.U.L_E
OF STRICKLY RICH ENT.

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
http://www.camillastenmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/tumblr_ni7imr7gRs1s78fmmo1_1280.png

What's up man? I'm in a similar situation as you. I came across the image above after having a discussion with my dad when I went back to visit home for the weekend. I've got it as my phone lock screen as a daily reminder cuz I know I get off track at times and "waste" time doing other things. Sometimes you need a break though.

I work in consulting so the hours aren't a strict 9-5. There's always time though. You just might have to cut out time from other activities like movies, TV shows, hanging out with friends. If you really want it, you'll make time for it.

P.A.U.L_E

Strickly Rich Ent.
http://www.camillastenmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/tumblr_ni7imr7gRs1s78fmmo1_1280.png

What's up man? I'm in a similar situation as you. I came across the image above after having a discussion with my dad when I went back to visit home for the weekend. I've got it as my phone lock screen as a daily reminder cuz I know I get off track at times and "waste" time doing other things. Sometimes you need a break though.

I work in consulting so the hours aren't a strict 9-5. There's always time though. You just might have to cut out time from other activities like movies, TV shows, hanging out with friends. If you really want it, you'll make time for it.

What's up koey,

Yeah that's what I heard, I'm just having a hard time to disipline myself on sacrifice. I would go strong for a week or 2 then I fall back into old habbits. Did you have this problem as well? I really appreciate the response, I seen that photo before but thanks. Hope your having good day.

Keep making bangers,
P.A.U.L_E

P.S. how is consulting? Is it time consuming?

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
What's up koey,

Yeah that's what I heard, I'm just having a hard time to disipline myself on sacrifice. I would go strong for a week or 2 then I fall back into old habbits. Did you have this problem as well? I really appreciate the response, I seen that photo before but thanks. Hope your having good day.

Keep making bangers,
P.A.U.L_E

P.S. how is consulting? Is it time consuming?

Haha I know what you mean. That's always the biggest problem when trying to kill out certain habits to make way for new ventures. Honestly, it's something that's personal to everyone since it's more of a mental limitation more than anything. It's hard to give advice on how to overcome it since self-discipline is mostly mental. The one piece of advise I can give, even though I still struggle with it at times, is to make it gradual rather than completely making the trade off at the start. Also, reevaluate and ask yourself if this is truly what you want to do cuz if you truly do want it, you'll find, physically and mentally, the energy to make the sacrifices and time for it.

It might seem a little weird, but sometimes I'll just talk to myself and tell myself like "What the fuck are you doing wasting time on these other things? You told yourself that you can't work a corporate job like the one you're in for the rest of your life. You told yourself you wanted to do music for a living so stop fucking around and put the work in and works towards that." Most of the time it works haha, but we always need breaks from time to time. It's all about balance.

P.S. It's been a good learning experience, but definitely time consuming and draining at times. I studied it in school just cuz I really like problem solving and figuring out how things work and trying to make them better.

P.A.U.L_E

Strickly Rich Ent.
Haha I know what you mean. That's always the biggest problem when trying to kill out certain habits to make way for new ventures. Honestly, it's something that's personal to everyone since it's more of a mental limitation more than anything. It's hard to give advice on how to overcome it since self-discipline is mostly mental. The one piece of advise I can give, even though I still struggle with it at times, is to make it gradual rather than completely making the trade off at the start. Also, reevaluate and ask yourself if this is truly what you want to do cuz if you truly do want it, you'll find, physically and mentally, the energy to make the sacrifices and time for it.

It might seem a little weird, but sometimes I'll just talk to myself and tell myself like "What the fuck are you doing wasting time on these other things? You told yourself that you can't work a corporate job like the one you're in for the rest of your life. You told yourself you wanted to do music for a living so stop fucking around and put the work in and works towards that." Most of the time it works haha, but we always need breaks from time to time. It's all about balance.

P.S. It's been a good learning experience, but definitely time consuming and draining at times. I studied it in school just cuz I really like problem solving and figuring out how things work and trying to make them better.

That's crazy, I talk to myself like that too. I be Giving myself guilt trips, sometimes it works. I like problem solving too, its frustrating but sa tidying when you figure it out. I really appreciate it, I didn't think I was going to get a response. You're good people's bro, I'ma just keep tryin til it sticks.

Keep Makin bangers,
P.A.U.L_E

LbrT

I really like that picture Koey ! I am having the exact same struggle as you two lately and I have been thinking and researching a lot about changing habits and working towards a goal. We all share that goal of getting out of the 9-5 haha! Here are a few practical tips that I have found helpful:

- A great way to achieve a certain goal is to actually write it down as clearly as you can and visualize exactly what you want. So, P.A.U.L.E., I think you can definitely clarify your goal and see exactly what it would be like if you took your beat-making more seriously. What are the specific changes that would arise in your life? For example, do you want to make money off your beats ? If so, how much ? Do you want to collaborate with famous artists ? What's your motivation ? Visualize it, then write it down and place it somewhere where you see it everyday, ideally every morning when you wake up and every night when you go to sleep. This technique is old and, although it might not seem practical, I truly believe that once you have decided where you want to go, the steps will come naturally.

- The other thing that has helped me tremendously in growing habits is taking an incremental approach to it. Just like you, everytime I want to try something new or implement a new habit in my life, I start out strong and then just stop after a while. What ended up working for me was starting with really small steps that are almost ridiculous, but doing them consistently (like, every day). For example, instead of going all-in and producing 4 hours a day for two weeks but then needing a break, try just 30 minutes a day. You will find it easier and you will actually grow your habit naturally. It also helps if the time is consistent.

I hope this post helps you P.A.U.L.E. and don't give up !

P.A.U.L_E

Strickly Rich Ent.
I really like that picture Koey ! I am having the exact same struggle as you two lately and I have been thinking and researching a lot about changing habits and working towards a goal. We all share that goal of getting out of the 9-5 haha! Here are a few practical tips that I have found helpful:

- A great way to achieve a certain goal is to actually write it down as clearly as you can and visualize exactly what you want. So, P.A.U.L.E., I think you can definitely clarify your goal and see exactly what it would be like if you took your beat-making more seriously. What are the specific changes that would arise in your life? For example, do you want to make money off your beats ? If so, how much ? Do you want to collaborate with famous artists ? What's your motivation ? Visualize it, then write it down and place it somewhere where you see it everyday, ideally every morning when you wake up and every night when you go to sleep. This technique is old and, although it might not seem practical, I truly believe that once you have decided where you want to go, the steps will come naturally.

- The other thing that has helped me tremendously in growing habits is taking an incremental approach to it. Just like you, everytime I want to try something new or implement a new habit in my life, I start out strong and then just stop after a while. What ended up working for me was starting with really small steps that are almost ridiculous, but doing them consistently (like, every day). For example, instead of going all-in and producing 4 hours a day for two weeks but then needing a break, try just 30 minutes a day. You will find it easier and you will actually grow your habit naturally. It also helps if the time is consistent.

I hope this post helps you P.A.U.L.E. and don't give up ![/QUOTE

Thanks alot! I will try that, it blows my mind that there are good ppl on this forum that are cool to help out. How long have u been don this as well as Makin beats?

LbrT

I have been making music and DJing for 5-6 years now on and off. And I have started a 9-5 in may so that got me questioning where I wanted to go and starting to put up a plan !

JCFAX81

Beatmaker
Hey guys, I make beats purely as a hobby but I too am in the same boat. 9-5 job, wife, and 2 kids - that's a lot of time not making beats. So what I try to do is 'study' beats on my lunchbreak at work - this could be just listening to beats, watching YouTube tutorials/videos etc, or reading books.
Also I then try to cut out other hobbies such as Playstation, TV etc.....but that can be hard because we all need a little downtime.
What I'm trying to do at the minute is to wake at 6 or 6.30am (before the kids wake up), and make beats for 30 mins or so. But its just so damn hard to drag myself out of bed, and so damn easy to hit that snooze button!

Peace from the UK
JC

LbrT

It's nice knowing we are not alone ! :p Yeah I can listen to music at work so at least I can find samples / get inspired / study beats all day

A

Alvaro

Love the picture Koey..haha now Im in two minds...write a resposne or go and be productive.hmm I'll be back and write a response.

Southpaw Slim

Slim but the beat is fat.
I, like most, work a ridiculous schedule. When I travel I bring my MPC studio and set up in any hotel that I can. I always carry a notebook...not a computer...a small book full of paper and a pen.
When setting up is not an option, I write down all my thoughts/ ideas in various forms and spend time revisiting each when I get seat time.

LbrT

I, like most, work a ridiculous schedule. When I travel I bring my MPC studio and set up in any hotel that I can. I always carry a notebook...not a computer...a small book full of paper and a pen.
When setting up is not an option, I write down all my thoughts/ ideas in various forms and spend time revisiting each when I get seat time.
There's something incredibly powerful about writing ideas on paper...

P.A.U.L_E

Strickly Rich Ent.
I Wana thank everyone for ther response! Please, post your most proud beat so, I can check your work!

iLLest

hey guise! I'm new here, I actually stopped producing for the longest time and just started back. Previously I stopped due to a very bad work schedule, I was in consulting as well... most of my time I actually spent at work and recently I just changed job for about a year plus, this job gives some room to work on beats. I'm still stuck in 9-5 anyways and I'm 29 right now, gotta pay the bills. I agree finding time is really difficult especially when you have commitments which unfortunately I do, I'm just hoping I can find some motivations from here to get me started back.. sometimes I feel like am really too tired and can't be bother with making any beats..

P.A.U.L_E

Strickly Rich Ent.
You gotta make yourself feel better, I heard fixing you poster or even moving a little faster will give u a little boost of energy . It's been workin a little for me, I made 2 beats yesterday, hope it works for u.

TL Beats

DOPE BEATS ONLY
I like this topic. I find that to be successful with anything you have to be 100% dedicated.

An easier answer would be... make beats as soon as you wake up, that's when your mind is the sharpest. The same thing goes for writing or anything that's creative.

Also remember work as a producer like you work at a gym. if you do it once a week, I doubt you'll be doing it for very long. You should try to produce a little bit every day until you get in a sub conscience habit.

You can check me out at www.tlbeats.com I have a blog, I'm always saying useful stuff.

Peace