Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Michael Brauer

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
That's some SERIOUS gear as far as effects processors. I need to comprise a list of the software equivalent (as close as I can) for these.

adl670, ear 660 and fairchild 666...come on yo...

"It always amazes me that people think that it's the tools that make a mix great. Instead, people should understand that mixing is very much like a performance."

-4th paragraphh

Great read, dope post kontents. Always love people passionately talking about their process

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
"It always amazes me that people think that it's the tools that make a mix great. Instead, people should understand that mixing is very much like a performance."

-4th paragraphh

Great read, dope post kontents. Always love people passionately talking about their process

dude, for as much as dance or hiphop is concerned itb is the way to go, but when it comes to mixing something else those things make a difference. Most of the exotic outboard gear cater more to transcients in mid-high frequency range, having gear like this is like a palette of paint.

@dp, eh...duh ?! I was pointing at the ear and adl, the 666 is nice but not that highly regarded(not saying its crap either).

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
"It always amazes me that people think that it's the tools that make a mix great.

That's making "assumptions" of why you "think" someone makes a certain comment. Definitely not what I meant by mine. But of course that's the norm these days on ILL.....something or some way elses way ALWAYS has to be better than another. Dick joisting to the max.....

How quickly a thread can turn on it's head.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
That's making "assumptions" of why you "think" someone makes a certain comment. Definitely not what I meant by mine. But of course that's the norm these days on ILL.....something or some way elses way ALWAYS has to be better than another. Dick joisting to the max.....

Hes quoting Michael Brauer post, but honestly it makes a great point in keeping people from spending every dollar on the next big piece of studio equipment or VST. Its a way to try to find the sound you want with what you have.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Hes quoting Michael Brauer post, but honestly it makes a great point in keeping people from spending every dollar on the next big piece of studio equipment or VST. Its a way to try to find the sound you want with what you have.

U can quote the post without quoting thread participants unless you're trying to a make point. Brauer has endless gear to mix with. I just thougth it would be cool to see or come up with software that sounds similar. Of course you can't get that exact sound but there's no harm in seeing what u can come up with. Not to mention very seldom do I spend a dime on software...lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
dude, for as much as dance or hiphop is concerned itb is the way to go, but when it comes to mixing something else those things make a difference. Most of the exotic outboard gear cater more to transcients in mid-high frequency range, having gear like this is like a palette of paint

I was just pointing out what he said about gear, I know gear has advantages, its why people still use them. The quote (and the whole post) meant, mixing should be about getting the soul of the song out, not the gear, and yall went straight to gear lol. Just thought it was humorous and thought I'd share

....The point was: get the soul from the song and use what you have. "Just thought it was humorous (that the 1st response was interest in gear) and thought I'd share". Didnt think you'd get in your feelings and start making generalizations about ILL because of it. A simple quotation gone wrong lol

Exactly his point. While there are differences in compressors, and reverbs, at the end of the writing/mixing/mastering process, they play a minut role in the sound of the record compared to being creatively focused.

During my net wandering days, I stumbled across a post (dont remember where, prob gearslutz or KVRAudio) where the guy was mixing a beat and couldnt get what the sound he wanted. So he paid a pro/big name mix engineer to mix it. They both lived in the UK so they made an arrangement, where the engineer came to his house, mixed the record for him and showed him how to do it. The pro got pro results on his little setup (no big plugs, he posted the results). Same sentiment for this.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I was just pointing out what he said about gear, I know gear has advantages, its why people still use them. The quote (and the whole post) meant, mixing should be about getting the soul of the song out, not the gear, and yall went straight to gear lol. Just thought it was humorous and thought I'd share

Drums: Neve 1083, Urei 1176, ADR Compex, Pye & Chandler EMI compressors
Bass: EAR 660, Altec 436B, Dbx 160, Akai S612, Moog MKPE
Guitars: EMI Chandler TG1, Lexicon PCM42, API 525, API 5502, Roland Dimension D SDD320, Watkins Copicat
Keyboards: Urei LA3A, Focusrite 115 HD, Neve Portico 5014
Vocals: Waves Renaissance & Digidesign de-essers, AMS reverb, Zoom 1202, Lexicon PCM81, Watkins Copicat, Empirical Labs Distressor, Federal, Gates, Fairchild 666, EAR 660, Neve 1176 & Awa G7201 compressors

He used all that diff't gear while telling you the reader....ummm....yes I used all this gear BUT you should use the mediocore shhh you have and you'll be fine...just go for the soul.....ummm....rightttttt

NOW IF THAT'S ALL U GOT FROM READING THE ARTICLE IT'S EVEN MORE HUMOROUS THAN YOU FIRST THOUGHT...I'm jussss saying...he went out of the way to name each and every piece used,when,why and how much.

Besides...I never mentioned anything about gear.....last time I checked software was software..not gear.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Drums: Neve 1083, Urei 1176, ADR Compex, Pye & Chandler EMI compressors
Bass: EAR 660, Altec 436B, Dbx 160, Akai S612, Moog MKPE
Guitars: EMI Chandler TG1, Lexicon PCM42, API 525, API 5502, Roland Dimension D SDD320, Watkins Copicat
Keyboards: Urei LA3A, Focusrite 115 HD, Neve Portico 5014
Vocals: Waves Renaissance & Digidesign de-essers, AMS reverb, Zoom 1202, Lexicon PCM81, Watkins Copicat, Empirical Labs Distressor, Federal, Gates, Fairchild 666, EAR 660, Neve 1176 & Awa G7201 compressors

He used all that diff't gear while telling you the reader....ummm....yes I used all this gear BUT you should use the mediocore shhh you have and you'll be fine...just go for the soul.....ummm....rightttttt

NOW IF THAT'S ALL U GOT FROM READING THE ARTICLE IT'S EVEN MORE HUMOROUS THAN YOU FIRST THOUGHT...I'm jussss saying...he went out of the way to name each and every piece used,when,why and how much.

Besides...I never mentioned anything about gear.....last time I checked software was software..not gear.

lol cool, its not that serious. Take what you want from it, and apply it, no need to explain yourself to me hahaha Its all good

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

members online