Showcase - March 7-9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
@toryhooks- dope soulful as hell, all the change ups and shit sounds so dope ive always wanted to make a beat just switching the sample have 10 mini beats in one haha, very nice, loved the drums by the way, it all sounded very good together. haha around 5 mins in your beat those violins come in i forget the sample but ive tried flippin that before lol

heres mine, soulful as well, just a quick flip for the sample, but a couple drum loops messed and chopped and whatever..

http://soundcloud.com/just_ripe/deeper-sights

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Here's mine http://soundcloud.com/ironkeys/hardfunky (might record the guitars again, change the sound slightly)

I got another one to come too.

Toryhooks - loving the pattern and the sample. Something that's not sitting right with me though, not sure why. Ooo, just got to a little change up, loving this part. I think it's the drum, I think maybe they sound too dry, I think it's the hi-hats, sound a little too dusty. Love the rest of it, the hi-hats need to be sorted in some way though. Nice stuff

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Just ripe - liking this, I'd say maybe cut some of the boxiness on the low mids on your sample - is a bit ear jarring to me. Dunno if anyone else finds this. I don't like the boxiness, remove the boxiness it will sound a tonne better! Loving the vibe though!

RCbeats

tory- I love soul samples so this is right up my alley. I love the varitations throughout the beat. The drums are very crisp which is a big plus also. I have to say I really am digging this stuff.

Justripe-whoa dude!! this shit is banannas. seriously though, you know i love your shit but this track is very impressive. i really like the boxiness actually, gives it that rugged feel. drums are on point and hit hard, and i think the shaker smoothes everything out. good stuff man.

ironkeys- this track sounds dope bro, im not sure i would touch the guitar if i were you. it sounds nice and clean. a full spectrum of sound. I really like the vibe i get on this one. I think it would easily sound 10x better with an mc on it. I like it though to be honest.

This is a crazy vinyl i found yesterday at the shop. I bought about 15 LP's but couldnt wait to put the needle to this one first. Im guessing it is from the 60's, but eveything is written in Korean on it, so cant really tell. lol. not mixed or anything but just putting the finishing touches on it now.

http://soundcloud.com/robc88/the-island

toryhooks

Battle Points: 122
@toryhooks- dope soulful as hell, all the change ups and shit sounds so dope ive always wanted to make a beat just switching the sample have 10 mini beats in one haha, very nice, loved the drums by the way, it all sounded very good together. haha around 5 mins in your beat those violins come in i forget the sample but ive tried flippin that before lol

heres mine, soulful as well, just a quick flip for the sample, but a couple drum loops messed and chopped and whatever..

http://soundcloud.com/just_ripe/deeper-sights
Oh my Lord! Bro that is dangerous right there. I love that intro, had ya boy on fire on this one. I also like how you did at the 1:06 point. What is the effect called and how did you that. Bro Im in the opffice over grinding after that beat. UGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
tory- I love soul samples so this is right up my
ironkeys- this track sounds dope bro, im not sure i would touch the guitar if i were you. it sounds nice and clean. a full spectrum of sound. I really like the vibe i get on this one. I think it would easily sound 10x better with an mc on it. I like it though to be honest.

Mad love, glad you feeling it. Tonnes of various people are feeling it, so I'm feeling good 'bout this one. My rapper has his bars ready, I might take a third verse. Just gotta find a time to record!

RCbeats - really feeling this one. Quite dope in my honest opinion. I tell you what you need to do though... the levels, the drum pattern is really tasty, slick groove with the shakers. All you need to do is adjust the levels correctly... with the levels/balance perfect, this track would sound a million times doper than it already is. You'd be surprised at how much a glued together mix can make a track sound tonnes more amazing.

Really dope track though musically, brother.

RCbeats

Mad love, glad you feeling it. Tonnes of various people are feeling it, so I'm feeling good 'bout this one. My rapper has his bars ready, I might take a third verse. Just gotta find a time to record!

RCbeats - really feeling this one. Quite dope in my honest opinion. I tell you what you need to do though... the levels, the drum pattern is really tasty, slick groove with the shakers. All you need to do is adjust the levels correctly... with the levels/balance perfect, this track would sound a million times doper than it already is. You'd be surprised at how much a glued together mix can make a track sound tonnes more amazing.

Really dope track though musically, brother.

thanks for the input. I am always open to others opinions and i will most def. look into what you told me and try to make the mix a little cleaner. i want to take my music to the next level and any input from other fellow beat makers trying to help me achieve that is greatly appreciated. thanks again.

toryhooks

Battle Points: 122
Here's mine http://soundcloud.com/ironkeys/hardfunky (might record the guitars again, change the sound slightly)

I got another one to come too.

Toryhooks - loving the pattern and the sample. Something that's not sitting right with me though, not sure why. Ooo, just got to a little change up, loving this part. I think it's the drum, I think maybe they sound too dry, I think it's the hi-hats, sound a little too dusty. Love the rest of it, the hi-hats need to be sorted in some way though. Nice stuff
Bro i appreciate the input! It was a quick mix, didnt get to put the waves plugins on it like wanted to and tweak them.

Heres a track from me, I should really remove the composed name as it does have one sample from Diamonds Are Forever in it. But anyway...
http://soundcloud.com/2good-productions/composed-track-23-uses

Toryhooks. I like the idea and variation of the track, but the drums lack any variation at all. The groove of the drums does not match all of the samples used, I think you could tweak them to fit a little better. A breakdown here and there would have been nice too, just any variation on the drums. Some real nice samples in there. The chop on one of the samples was a bit dodgy but aside from that, the others were good. Just add some soulful groove and variation to those drums and its a really hot track.

JustRipe. This is really nice, I like this. The only thing I would consider adding to this is a bassline. Great variation.

Iron Keys. I dropped feed on your soundcloud, but Ill say basically the same thing here. The advice on mixing you have been getting is really working well, I have always liked your composition style, but this is probably one of the first where I have liked how the instruments sound, nothing really sounds midified. Good shit.

RCBeats. I have to agree with Iron Keys here, if the samples were a lot louder in the mix this would sound a whole lot better. I would add a little funk to the drum pattern at some points too, but yeah I agree this is a nice track even tho its simple, sometimes less is more.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
thanks for the input. I am always open to others opinions and i will most def. look into what you told me and try to make the mix a little cleaner. i want to take my music to the next level and any input from other fellow beat makers trying to help me achieve that is greatly appreciated. thanks again.

No worries, brother, mixing had always been such a nusance when I didn't have a proper grip on it - still not great, but a better idea of what I'm doing,

Your sounces sound nice and rich and also sound clear on the mix, some more even balancing of levels and perhaps some compression to glue it together would help it sound more perfect.
Again great music, idea is great, an amazing mix would really make this track very epic!

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
@ iron keys- idk what u mean by boxiness haha, all i know is i got a loop and flipped it, left the sample raw for most the part.
hardfunky-clean mix much better then i could do lol, im not really feeling this beat but the quality is good and the sounds go very well together, i like when the synths really start to come in, gives it more life, nice stuff yo!

@ rc beats- thanks a lot im glad your feeling this haha i got more attention for this beat then any i have in a while.. and thanks i used like 6 different drums loops for creating the ruggedness haha, throwin hipass drum loops aver the sample to make it feel like that is part of the sample i guess...
the island- the sample is very quiet, love the feel of the beat tho man if it was louder id say fresh , love the bass oh shit! haha dopeness homie.
Perfect Timing-god dayummm!!!! this is my kinda ish! those drums are so fire whered u get em haha, that sample is so fresh, sounds mad simple, but to the dopest degree. props

@ toryhooks Around 1:06 like the intro i just switchted the sample back to that same pattern, but i cloned my channel twice, filtered one bandpass and turned it up a little loud, but threw a EQ on it and got rid of most the lows, so it was like a hipass/bandpass mix, then the other cloned one i lowpass filtered and kinda brought the lows out a little more, and i left the main one playing and dropped the velocity of each chop so it just blended into the bandpass/hipass and ,lowpass channels. if that makes any sense lol.

@ 2good-really wish i knew how to use vst's and eq better i know bass and mixing are my 2 weaknesses im trying to learn best i can, thanks for the feedback man, theres some bass just from the sample on there but it doesnt stand out hardly at all...
"Composed track 23 with diamond sample" lol- dam, very clear sounds, i dont usually like bass with that type of feel to it im not sure what to call it really, but then it sounds like another type of bass or a higher pitch comes in, sounds so sick man, the build ups and drops are literally too perfect in the structure, very sick man deffinately made me wish i could compose and i never really want to, good mesh of composition and sampling, love it!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@ iron keys- idk what u mean by boxiness haha, all i know is i got a loop and flipped it, left the sample raw for most the part.
hardfunky-clean mix much better then i could do lol, im not really feeling this beat but the quality is good and the sounds go very well together, i like when the synths really start to come in, gives it more life, nice stuff yo!

Thanks for the feedback.

boxiness. Get any sound playing, and boost its 200-500 region. It's quite an annoying region. I just find sometimes (dunno if it's your tunes) tend to have a boxiness sometimes and is quite fatiguing on the ears I find. Tho you make some really nice beats.

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
see i know nothing about mixing idk what 200-500 region your meaning, the sample has the bass on it and i just chopped it and flipped it, so the lows are what was originally on the sample i did no tweaking on the main flip. but i wana understand what u mean so i can try an do it differently on my next beat or somethin, thanks for breakin it down with me too appreciate it

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
2 Good - (Posted on sound clour too) Really feeling this, my brother. Really good sound quality. Love the snare and the groove. Love it all, only one thing that I do have to comment on, is one of those notes the bass plays seems to stand out too much, maybe reigning its level back a little or attenuating it with eq could solve this? Otherwise, real dope.
~Iron Keys

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
see i know nothing about mixing idk what 200-500 region your meaning, the sample has the bass on it and i just chopped it and flipped it, so the lows are what was originally on the sample i did no tweaking on the main flip. but i wana understand what u mean so i can try an do it differently on my next beat or somethin, thanks for breakin it down with me too appreciate it
Most welcome, bro. I hate when I don't quite 'get' something regarding mixing/production, even worse when I 'get it' but can't seem to do anything about it.

What are you listening on when you mix? I find sometimes with some of your sounds (It might not be just you, just I remember you posting a lot so could be), there's often certain sounds that just seem to be too demanding on the ear, and personally I wanna reaaally turn down the volume when I hear them, I'm not sure what frequencyis doing it, but it wouldn't be anytjing too complicated, would just simply mean EQing a certain frequency down by 1-3db I imagine, or a harder cut if necessary. Do you mix/eq/compress your beats or anything?

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Most welcome, bro. I hate when I don't quite 'get' something regarding mixing/production, even worse when I 'get it' but can't seem to do anything about it.

What are you listening on when you mix? I find sometimes with some of your sounds (It might not be just you, just I remember you posting a lot so could be), there's often certain sounds that just seem to be too demanding on the ear, and personally I wanna reaaally turn down the volume when I hear them, I'm not sure what frequencyis doing it, but it wouldn't be anytjing too complicated, would just simply mean EQing a certain frequency down by 1-3db I imagine, or a harder cut if necessary. Do you mix/eq/compress your beats or anything?

i have rockit krk 5's sometimes i just make beats on my headphones there AKG k-44 cheap probably sucky headphones but all i could afford..
i dont know much about mixing, i dont EQ or Compress the "master" like the entire beat but i do throw an eq on some channels like if im not just flipping a beat i will clone my chops and eq each set different so i have lows, hi's or at least thats what i think they are, i think my technique and beat making routine is very unorthodox and probably done a very wrong way. i have no idea about frequencies or decibals, i pretty much move the knobs and faders random till i hear it the best i can get it and then i usually remember what i did and just apply it next time i make something too which is bad because i might have just developed a bunch of bad habits. but i think i get what u mean sometimes i have hi pass samples that are annoying cuz they go to high compared to the rest, and sometimes i have muddyness on my lows and i cant get rid of it so when i compress it just gets worse or creates a unclear sound i guess.
also my room isnt that big so i sit pretty close to the monitors, maybe thats why it sounds a little clearer when im making it because i can really hear every little thing but im not sure what it is really.

Status
Not open for further replies.