Showcase - November 23-29, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad

Battle Points: 8
I tried a new mixing technique. I think my drums have a little more clarity.

I like the technical prowess that your beat shows. The muting/ rest of individual instruments at certain points in the song and the use of low pass filters adds interest to a song that could still be good but less ear catching without them. I also found it interesting how the vocal sample changed pitch or went out of key towards the end. Good job

Here is mine:

Last edited:

Marc Duncan

The Black Man
Battle Points: 3

I'm dancing to this right now. Hitting the quan and everything. This is soft and hard at the same time. Absolutely amazing.
Hopefully mine is just as good.

Chad

Battle Points: 8

This is my beat

I'm dancing to this right now. Hitting the quan and everything. This is soft and hard at the same time. Absolutely amazing.
Hopefully mine is just as good.

I thought this beat was pretty good, I liked the strings they reminded me of some late 90s production and I liked how they became the main melodic material during the verse, it's a sound you don't hear very often. I think if the bells were mixed better into the beat, maybe with some more reverb, delay, or just a decrease in volume, it would be less distracting. Same with the hi-hats. they might need a little bit more compression. Only other thing that I can point out is that the synth towards the end is kind of overbearing in the mix. Overall it's a good job though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slag prod.

Chad, you got a good, original idea! I would look more into the mixing, I think some of them samples came in too loud. And the electric guitar was a little bit trashy to my ear. But the melodies, song arrangement and all that is covered! Good job!

Marc, you always do solid! I think you got the sounds and the balance and everything spot on! Except the ending where that massive synth came in. It is way too much. Anyway you did a good job, maybe if I were you, I would look into something different next time, you know. Outside the box and all that shit!

Here is mine! I really need your help guys! I cant tell is this really dope or full of shit. Give me your tips and honest feedback!

Zuance

https://soundcloud.com/ct_roet
Battle Points: 1

this is so spacey and chilled, great work with the cymbals aswell

Here is mine:

this is really crazy beat, reminds me off a beat that MF DOOM/Metal Fingers would do

some songs of mine, feedback is appreciated

This beat is amazing! The mix is great to because all of the drums sound really clear, nice job.

Can some people check out my stuff? I'm fairly new to this...

Last edited:

namesi

Battle Points: 4
This beat is amazing! The mix is great to because all of the drums sound really clear, nice job.

This is really chill and low key. I like the sound selection and subtly. I think the overall mix and master could be a little tighter. But the composition is really ambient and enjoyable. Nice work fam! I appreciate this joint.

I like the technical prowess that your beat shows. The muting/ rest of individual instruments at certain points in the song and the use of low pass filters adds interest to a song that could still be good but less ear catching without them. I also found it interesting how the vocal sample changed pitch or went out of key towards the end. Good job

Here is mine:

I would recommend working a bit on mixing. A lot of the samples are all out of whack and come in too loud or too soft. The drums also sound a bit dry. I would add some reverb to liven things up a bit. Good work bro! Keep learning. Thanks for the feed earlier.

J

Jay Jackson

One of the instrumental interludes off my most recent self produced project Set In My Ways

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
@namesi It sounds like you added some Limiter and Compression to those drums as they are nice and crisp. I do these with mine and it makes a big difference.

@toma Really feeling your work too - I hopped over to your SoundClound page and listened - that is definitely my kind of hiphop, soulful boom bap is where it's at!

Slag prod.

First things first, thanks for the feedback!

And nice job Tomkillsjerry! This is amazing beat! I was thinking, did you try it without the vocal sample? I mean it was really dope at the beginning, but I would have left it off from the verses or something. But its just me. Anyway, that beat was really good, I just hope that I can produce that good shit some day!

Zuance I liked it! I listened that one without the raps, and I thought that it is a little bit boring. But with those raps it got hot! I like how original it is! None of that trendy trap sounds, or cowbells. But same time it was fresh, and didnt sound too much like some old beat from 90s. It was still little bit too loopy, if you get me. And it reminded me more of a album intro than a whole song. Anyway thanks for that!

TheUnexpected indeed! You said that you are "fairly new to this" and I thought that okay here we go... But that beat was really good! shit, it was like really really good! But I always want to say something more than just "you did a good job", you know, so here we go. That "rise" sound before the chorus was a little bit a cliche. I dont know where you got that one, but try to think outside the genre a little bit. Use a vocals and play with them, or some horns, I dont know. That rise sound was also a little bit too quite, I think. Secondly I think that the bass should have been there from the beginning, it was so dope! Gotta give it to you tho, the hats, and the piano and all! Really good job!

"></iframe>

Shit, Jay, you left me speechless. But im not sure do I mean it in a good way. The vocal sample was panned nice, and sounded so crisp, which I like. Strings were good, but those drums were way too far away. Those strings were on my face, and the drums were on a background. Usually it is just the other way around. But on the other hand, it didnt sound too amatuer. I was more like that you wanted to do some provoking shit, you know. Anyway thanks for the instrumental, and welcome to the showcase! Remember to give feedback! (I did a exception, when I gave you a feedback, cuz you hadnt commented to anyone. I trust you know, bro!)

Ooohh man you killing me with that French! It sounds really good! You got it all man! You know what you are doing and the sounds are there! It feels stupid to say anything to you when you are in whole different level than I am. But anyway that flute which is playing that melody, is a little bit corny. But Im sure that with the raps it will fit just right in! In the other hand, that vocal sample may be too loud for rapper to flow top on it. I dont know, depends on a rapper, I think. hell of a good job anyway! Thumbs up!

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
First things first, thanks for the feedback!

And nice job Tomkillsjerry! This is amazing beat! I was thinking, did you try it without the vocal sample? I mean it was really dope at the beginning, but I would have left it off from the verses or something. But its just me. Anyway, that beat was really good, I just hope that I can produce that good shit some day!

Zuance I liked it! I listened that one without the raps, and I thought that it is a little bit boring. But with those raps it got hot! I like how original it is! None of that trendy trap sounds, or cowbells. But same time it was fresh, and didnt sound too much like some old beat from 90s. It was still little bit too loopy, if you get me. And it reminded me more of a album intro than a whole song. Anyway thanks for that!

TheUnexpected indeed! You said that you are "fairly new to this" and I thought that okay here we go... But that beat was really good! shit, it was like really really good! But I always want to say something more than just "you did a good job", you know, so here we go. That "rise" sound before the chorus was a little bit a cliche. I dont know where you got that one, but try to think outside the genre a little bit. Use a vocals and play with them, or some horns, I dont know. That rise sound was also a little bit too quite, I think. Secondly I think that the bass should have been there from the beginning, it was so dope! Gotta give it to you tho, the hats, and the piano and all! Really good job!

Shit, Jay, you left me speechless. But im not sure do I mean it in a good way. The vocal sample was panned nice, and sounded so crisp, which I like. Strings were good, but those drums were way too far away. Those strings were on my face, and the drums were on a background. Usually it is just the other way around. But on the other hand, it didnt sound too amatuer. I was more like that you wanted to do some provoking shit, you know. Anyway thanks for the instrumental, and welcome to the showcase! Remember to give feedback! (I did a exception, when I gave you a feedback, cuz you hadnt commented to anyone. I trust you know, bro!)

Ooohh man you killing me with that French! It sounds really good! You got it all man! You know what you are doing and the sounds are there! It feels stupid to say anything to you when you are in whole different level than I am. But anyway that flute which is playing that melody, is a little bit corny. But Im sure that with the raps it will fit just right in! In the other hand, that vocal sample may be too loud for rapper to flow top on it. I dont know, depends on a rapper, I think. hell of a good job anyway! Thumbs up!

@Slag prod. Thanks brother, I appreciate the love! That was a chopped sample, so the flute is part of the original melody. As you can tell, I enjoy soul type samples, chopped up with my own patterns (similar to J Dilla and Pete Rock). If you are willing to dedicate some time, you can put some good pieces together. I don't know what you are using for equipment, but take some time to watch tutorials on YouTube. Find a producer that has a similar style to yours and watch videos. This is how I am learning to perfect my craft while adding additional elements that suit my musical interests. I also go back and forth between more contemporary beats and samples, but I admit, I will always have a love for the latter. Good luck!

J

Jay Jackson

@namesi First off i love when a artist manages to mesh a Trap feel with more traditional soulful hiphop. Il Say I love the way you automated the filter on Sanctuary, and Bright lights is dope because of the compression on the punchy drums love it!

5IVE GOD

One of the instrumental interludes off my most recent self produced project Set In My Ways

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

I Really dig this beat, I love the strings!

Here is one of my favorite beats off one of my tapes [ Tha 5 God Tape 1of3]

Zuance

https://soundcloud.com/ct_roet

thank you! peace, i have taken in your feedback and yes i agree it is pretty loopy, i sometimes have a bit of a sweet spot for repetition

5IVE GOD

im digging the over all feel of this track, but what really stood out for me was your drum arrangement. Keep up tha solid work my dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online