Showcase - September 29 - October 1, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heez Magnif

ill o.g.
Is this the new version of being Rick-rolled?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Heez, love the sound/vibe of this one. Love the photo that goes with the track too.

Only thing I find, is that the main sample gets a bit annoying fairly quickly, very possibly because of it's strength in the upper mids... when i turned my speakers down, i felt i still needed to turn them down... it just kinda irritated my head.

When it comes back in it doesn't as sound as much as an issue, and everything sounds like it 'gels' more, at the beginning the drums/sample didn't seem to gel to me.

but otherwise i quite like it. If those bits were sorted, it'd be helluva beat ;)

Heez Magnif

ill o.g.
@skid - 3 letters W - T - F?...lol

@Heez - I'm feeling the beat but it's over compressed! Or were you shooting for that?

I wanted the snares to be subdued, didn't want the snap/crack to it. That may be why it sounds overcompressed, I actually didn't compress the track.

Heez Magnif

ill o.g.
Heez, love the sound/vibe of this one. Love the photo that goes with the track too.

Only thing I find, is that the main sample gets a bit annoying fairly quickly, very possibly because of it's strength in the upper mids... when i turned my speakers down, i felt i still needed to turn them down... it just kinda irritated my head.

When it comes back in it doesn't as sound as much as an issue, and everything sounds like it 'gels' more, at the beginning the drums/sample didn't seem to gel to me.

but otherwise i quite like it. If those bits were sorted, it'd be helluva beat ;)
I hear what you're saying. The reason it doesn't sound quite as prominent when the sample comes back in the second time is that I have the bass playing with it. In the beginning I didn't play the bassline with it until the chorus. So i should either turn the level down on sample or EQ the sample to dampen the highs?

I'm taking all the beats/songs for this project to a studio to get everything mastered and mixed, are these things they can alleviate through that process? If so, I'm not going to worry about it & let them earn their money, haha

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I wanted the snares to be subdued, didn't want the snap/crack to it. That may be why it sounds overcompressed, I actually didn't compress the track.

Ok, I was really judging by your waveform...it just doesn't have room to breathe. It looks like your volume is at a good level but you can barely see any peaks where the music varies in volume, almost like everything (highs, mids, lows) are all the same. I circled the changeup, where you have more separation in volume, you can see and hear the difference, that part actually sounds better than the first part (on my system).
[URL="

This is the Pharrell joint that you did (dope ass beat...) but here you can see how much more room/separation this track has to breathe and it sounds damn good on my system.
[URL="

No hating or anything, I luv the beat...just trying to give you a good review on it. =)

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I hear what you're saying. The reason it doesn't sound quite as prominent when the sample comes back in the second time is that I have the bass playing with it. In the beginning I didn't play the bassline with it until the chorus. So i should either turn the level down on sample or EQ the sample to dampen the highs?

I'm taking all the beats/songs for this project to a studio to get everything mastered and mixed, are these things they can alleviate through that process? If so, I'm not going to worry about it & let them earn their money, haha

Yeah, I was thinking dampen the highs, it's (probably) around the 2-4khz range, I tend to never boost (and often cut) things in that range, as it's a range our ears are very sensitive to (because of human voices) and where I usually would boost a vocal.

If you're taking each track/channel/whatever to the studio to be mixed then that's certainly something they'd handle (or so you'd hope!).

Tasty stuff though, man. I'll be well interested in hearing the final mix/master of it!!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Skid-I'm sure this is one of your experimental jointz. Can't say I like it...can't say I don't.

Heez-that joint is "UNPLAYABLE", Very unwelcoming to the ears. It has a some what cool melodic feel to it but the mix is OUT OF CONTROL even at a low volume. I couldn't listen to it all the way through. What's loud is too damn loud and what's soft is too damn soft. I have a pretty nice listening evironment on my end so when I can't play something you got problems!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Thats not skids page!

EDIT: OK I wont fugg with yall anymore...click the bottom link on skids post and you will find the song...LMAO! damn...hahaha!

@skid - I'd rock this...FRUIT (FLOWIN) has got that NC sway to it. Dope!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Initally, hated that beepy sound. Just the tone/sound of it. Not sure why. Nothing personal.

feelin the bounce to this track though, it's got a proper nice bounce. Royce could have a decent flow on this.

Could see this being used on a streetball video.

Heez Magnif

ill o.g.
@LDB - "Unplayable" that's a powerful word. What is your system setup, what are you listening on, out of curiosity.

@ironkeys - good start, I'd like to hear you get funkier with that bass synth instead of just that one stab.

@dacalion - i think when I was sampling into the MV I had the analog input gain up pretty high, maybe resampling at a lower volume will even out the sound on it. Wow, I have no idea how it's looks that compressed, when I record into protools I let it slightly clip this time unlike other times. Maybe that's it and I should record it in at the level i usually do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online