Simple question: how do you sell beats?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Honestly I hate the idea of selling "beats" I don't like making things like that. I will produce a track with an artist and craft music to perfectly fit their lyrics. Sometimes this means I do compose a bunch of tracks for them to choose from but then I always customize once we have vocals laid down. Also I want to create new audio experiences and having a bunch of cookie cutter "beats" for sales doesnt fit with this goal. I know some people make some decent money this way, but its not my path.

Honestly I hate the idea of selling "beats" I don't like making things like that. I will produce a track with an artist and craft music to perfectly fit their lyrics. Sometimes this means I do compose a bunch of tracks for them to choose from but then I always customize once we have vocals laid down. Also I want to create new audio experiences and having a bunch of cookie cutter "beats" for sales doesnt fit with this goal. I know some people make some decent money this way, but its not my path.
Thats exactly where Im at too. I have a large stock of beats that some get used from time to time.
But I usually end up composing specifically to the lyrics so that the music and lyrics mesh together as well as its possible for me to achieve. I like the final results better that way.
That said though, there are some artists I have worked with that can breathe life into a beat and ride it perfectly off the bat. I usually give my beats to those artists because they finalise my vision of the beat in the first place. I feel a good emcee earns the beat just by being good.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Your all correct... A guy here in Dayton who did some early work on Jill Scotts first album with Jazzy Jeff. Said don't give him any beats without an artist on it, any kind of artist. With soo many people making beats now and you can go anywhere to download free tracks, its about submitting full songs now.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
What are some of your tips for selling beats? It could be to MC's or for TV and movies, whatever.

I connect with people who have budget. True, you can go anywhere and download free beats, but when you work with serious clients they look at the those downloads as proof of popularity, where the market is/s heading (in some cases)

Then, they pass it or them along as temp tracks to be remade or used for inspiration. Why? Because they don't have access to the stems and they want something similar.

I also affiliate with recording studios and mixing engineers. If they're still in business, it means they have paying clients.

members online