Singers Better Than Mariah Carey

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Feel free to add to the list:

James Brown; Billie Holiday; Ella Fitzgerald; Etta James; Aretha Franklin; Marvin Gaye; Stevie Wonder; Isaac Hayes; Erykah Badu; Hank Williams; Ralph & Carter Stanley; Patsy Cline; Nasret Fateh Ali Khan; John Lennon; Rufus Thomas; Neneh Cherry; Chaka Khan; Bebel Gilberto; Horace Andy; Bob Marley; Alison Goldfrapp; Severa Nazerkhan; Shara Nelson; Beth Gibbons; Sheila Chandra; Yungchen Lhamo; Omara Portuondo; Robert Johnson; Otis Redding; Betty Davis; Sade; Skye Edwards; Alicia Keyes; Curtis Mayfield; Kelis; Les Nubians; Ibrahim Ferrer; Johnny Otis; Della Reese; Wilson Pickett; Nancy Wilson; Mavis Staples; Percy Mayfield; Ruth Brown; Gladys Knight; Ray Charles; Solomon Burke; Percy Sledge; Jackie Wilson; Barry White; Ronald Isley; Al Green; Tina Turner; Luther Vandross; Tammi Terrell; Martha Reeves; Dionne Warwick; Ofra Haza; Pavarotti; Mario Lanza; Domingo; Carreras; Michael Jackson; Lauryn Hill; Amy Winehouse; Me'Shell Ndegeocello; Lisa Stansfield; Diamanda Galas; etc etc etc

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
lol dam any others? I'm not up on mariah sooo...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
damn.... back in 93 Maria Carey was dope! i've never listened to RnB so i'm not up on this, but people age and shit happens.. i haven't been up on her music in decades but back in the day she could outsing anyone.. probably can today too!!

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I think 90% of old school singers couldnt really sing at all ..... It just sounded good for their time and we bought into it just like people are buying into all the garbage that comes out now adays ...

this is the most uninformed and hilarious thing i have ever read

and a bigger sign of a non-digger

please post a list of your top 50 singers

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i cant do 50... but the one's that stand out to me are in not particular order:

patti labelle
chaka khan
mariah
young whitney
christina
stephanie mills
freddie jackson
luther
micheal jackson*
pink

*notice how Mike is on the list now... very underappreciated.

da relic

The Pop Idol/X Factor winner not sure which one, I lose track.
But Leona Lewis, is the only recent female artist I have heard with a similar spine tingling talent for belting out the notes.
Beyonce is good, but I think she goes over the top.
Alicia keys? Good yes but better than peak Mariah? Im not so sure.
Im no Mariah fan, but I aint gonna knock her talent.
Especially since Im in no position to do so.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
this is hilarious .. some of yawl need shit to do.. sincock u should just rename the list into what it really is:

singers hatin as sincock would rather listen to than Mariah Carey:

cmon man this list is 100% subjective.

mariah was a great singer. Nobody here is sayin shes the greatest, but shes def up there in her prime years. and u got some crazy suspect names up there too lol. ur first line def is on point but things get iffy after that. Kelis? really? We dont believe you you need more people.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Word...Kelis??

Mariah NOW can sing better than Kelis on her best day...

Mariah's range back then was unmatched by any artist at that time....only person who can probably take Mariah in that aspect is Christina Aguilera in her prime...

And to put opera singers in there is kinda ridiculous...their job is to have that range...it's the fucking opera!! ...let them use their range on a song from 80-100bpm....and still stay on beat....

Ray Charles was an awesome singer....but range? Mariah has him beat on that..... I don't know if your list is just on the way they sound or their technical merit....

You do have some great singers on that list...I can't deny that but FEW if ANY have/had the range as Mariah....

But Kelis? You gotta be fucking kidding me...that bitch can hold a tune...but other than that she's not good at all...

I'm actually disappointed this thread even came up..it's taking up space that could be used for another more important thread....So yeah...close this.... thanks!

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Dude! Mariah! You do have some good names on the list, but Mariah is one of the best ever. No one can touch her range (7 octaves at her prime!), she's hot, she writes her own shit, and she's owned the charts for years!

H

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I don't recall saying anything about range. That's you retards that think range = great singing. You shouldn't be making music if that's how you judge talent.

If Kelis is the only one you pick on out of the list then it's a pretty fucking good list. I'd still rather listen to Kelis than Mariah anyday.

Word...Kelis??

Mariah NOW can sing better than Kelis on her best day...

Mariah's range back then was unmatched by any artist at that time....only person who can probably take Mariah in that aspect is Christina Aguilera in her prime...

And to put opera singers in there is kinda ridiculous...their job is to have that range...it's the fucking opera!! ...let them use their range on a song from 80-100bpm....and still stay on beat....

Ray Charles was an awesome singer....but range? Mariah has him beat on that..... I don't know if your list is just on the way they sound or their technical merit....

You do have some great singers on that list...I can't deny that but FEW if ANY have/had the range as Mariah....

But Kelis? You gotta be fucking kidding me...that bitch can hold a tune...but other than that she's not good at all...

I'm actually disappointed this thread even came up..it's taking up space that could be used for another more important thread....So yeah...close this.... thanks!

You don't decide when to close a thread. Watch your manners: wouldn't even have that "B" if I hadn't voted for your beat.

Dudes, I insinuated that Mariah was not one the greatest singers of modern times and y'all got your noses bent out of shape. If I can come up with that many singers that are better than Mariah in a few minutes off the top of my head then she probably isn't. There's real quality singers out there and you're sticking up for that soulless mannequin.

Why don't Opera singers count? I didn't know you had decided that only singers from certain genres are relevant.

members online