Software or Mixing Board

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got an MPC 1k and Mo Phatt sound module I'll be running through a mixer into Cubase.

Where will I have the most mixing power, on my board or in Cubase?

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
..... definitely pc in my opinion unless you have a dickload of outboard gear (even then i'd be inclined to put that in sends from my computer. Sound on Sound has a pretty good subjective article on the sounds of analog versus digital summing....

definitely have more power in cubase (unless you have a more high end studio type board you will not even have led meters on every channel) and you will probably have poorer quality eq on your board (this would definitely be the case with say a mackie 24.4.2 desk)

itb all the way for me using analog compressors and tape delay also some guitar pedals and a good small tube amp with a good cabinet and micing that shit for effects as well (heaps of tones achievable here with just a few mics and a good amp)

analog mixing boards are becoming more and more redundant in my opinion in the studio most software now has some sort of freely assignable bussing system shich is very powerful

Evil Scientist

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
what 2_nice said unless you got some neve's or ssls lying around, i say using cubase (and maybe a midi control surface) is definitely your best bet

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
yeah, software for convenience, that about the only argument I read here but the summing of your mix would always sound better through an analogue console(even if its behringer it would sound better)and it doesnt need to be a class a discrete console (although that is better). Summing gear like Tubetech SSA 2A Summing amp are a perfect addition for those not wanting to lay down the money on a 50k+ console and still want analogue power (20->2trk) with their daw.

members online