Stop using reverb on your snare.

Use delay with a fast timing and very tiny feedback, bandpass filter the feedback and pan it left, then do the same again for the left channel. Make the right one slightly later than the leftone and adjust the bandpass frequency. Man it sounds so good. So mucg better and cleaner than reverb, you have so much more control over it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's interesting because I've used reverb countless times on my snare but over the past while I've brought the amount down even more. I hear some guys that use tons of reverb. I think reverb makes a big difference but only to accentuate the snare and not be over the top.

That looks like a good delay trick. Does it give it the same sound as reverb or do you hear a tiny snare feedback?

no, I plan to set up a fl template at some point, but right now, Im doing the work. FL Studio makes it very quick and easy, and some of the stock plugins are perfect for the job, the fruity limiter is a beast, I love the visual interface and I use it for all the side chained compression, the stock parametric eq2 is great too has a great visual interface. And fl makes routing to busses so simple and fast. I can achieve in a few minutes what would take a while before in Cubase, and Id be put off doing it because of that. The whole mixing process in FL in so easy. Also for one of my beats I had so many plugins running and was only at 50% cpu, if Id tried than in cubase I have run out of cpu processing about halfway through, maybe even less.

Heres what I said to Fade, so if you are using fl studio you should be able to follow this more easily..

Right you need to use fruity delay 3, two of them. One for the left slap back and one for the right.
On the snare fx inserts add them there.

Switch off tempo sync on both of them pan one hard right and one hard left, i think it goes to the opposite of what you set in ping pong whiich you need to use, you need to use milliseconds.

The left one should be close to 32 ms, a little under and the right one should be a little over, the higher the ms the later the slap back, you dont want it too late though, tune to taste. You have to be careful for phasing, tune until its not phasing, its really obvious at lower ms settings.

The left one set to have bandpass feedback and set the level to around 3.5% and set the cutoff to around 3100hz, the right one the same but have a higher cutoff freq say 5000hz for arguments sake, but Im sure those numbers change depending on the snare being used.

Once they are done it will sound too much, so then just in the snare fx insert panel, turn them down until it sounds just right. Thats what Ive done and I love the result.

i still put a reverb on hi hats, I used this same method on a kick too, but you have to be careful in the low end, its hard enough to keep tamed as it is. I just made sure I hi passed it to avoid mud. This can be used for anything that you would like to widen, it doesnt just have to be used on snares.It makes sounds sound bigger.

I get nice crispy hi hats by hi pass filtering the absolute fuck out of them, and then a tiny amount of reverb brightens them and makes them sparkle.

members online