Stupid Question..

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I think it just crossfades overlapping audio. I haven't found a way to stop this as i'm no guru, but it seems the best bet would be just to make another channel and put the new audio there, and make it a sub channel under the original.

Or just copy the channel with its settings and work that way, a bit more demanding of screen realestate but works.

38th||

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Dont use protools anymore so i may not be exactly accurate, but there is a tool for it. Put the overlapping regions where you want them then move the mouse to an edit point. If you use the mouse to hover over the bottom of a region near an edit point then the curser will automatically change to the crossfade icon. Then you simply drag the cross fade where you want it.

or

you can use the select tool to shade the section you want to crossfade, then I think its ctrl+F to bring up the cross fade dialogue box.

if i still had PT I'd get you the exact steps...hope this helps

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I dont think so, at least if Im understanding the question properly.
your trying to play 2 diff sounds on the same track without one cutting the other off...
You would have to play them at the same time if so... However if your needing to add more audio, mix down and bounce what you already have to the best of your abilty, then start a new session and import the bounced material to a new track and viola , you now have all that you did plus more tracks to work with ..

T

The Arkitekt

ugh. this is why i hate pro tools. and also because they don't have offline exporting. i mean, seriously, come on.

Do you mean saving the tracks instead of listening to it while it records to WAV/etc.?

Gearslutz Member said:
ProTools won't do bounces any faster than real-time partly because of external hardware like compressors. If you tried to bounce at say 2x speed while using an external compressor, the unit wouldn't react correctly. Attack and release would be twice as slow as what you intended. And time-related effects like delay would have the same problem.

I know there are DAWs that do double time bounces but they must be completely in-the-box.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
checkerboard.

easy example track 1 the sample/sound for say 5 bars.

track 2 the same 5 bar sample but it starts at the the project 4th bar.

back to track 1 and so forth repeat and rinse.

this is the method post production does for dialogue, foley bg etc where shit has to overlap without crossfades (especially when dealing with a hundred tracks of just for one scene).

also, do inline printing. save the mixdown within pt and than use the shortcut key to export the highlighted mix. not only do you get a near instant 'bounce' (really export) but you avoid pt screwing up the mix when doing the regular bounce to disk. it also allows you to come back within pt and allow you to reference the mix if it needs to be changed, even better if you've made stems or a bunch of mixes i.e. radio edit, dirty, tv mix, long version, bumper, tag, chorus, no chorus, etc all in one session (better yet save a new session as well with just the mixes)

members online