Synthetic Substitution Is One Of The Most Sampled Songs Ever

1. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    A classic break used by many rappers over the years, Melvin Bliss' "Synthetic Substitution" is easily recognizable once you hear it in a track.

Melvin Bliss hails from Chicago and at six years old got involved with music, from Gospel to Jazz and Blues. As one of the most heavily-sampled tracks of all time, here is a review of five of the best-known songs to use this sample.

Ultramagnetic MC's - Ego Trippin'

One of the earliest uses of this famous break was by Ultramagnetic MC's with their hit song "Ego Trippin". They kept the break as is and added their own funk to it, whereas later artists would change things up by altering the break.

De La Soul - Potholes In My Lawn

A good example and use of Synthetic Substitution is by De La Soul when they released "Potholes In My Lawn". It blends in so nicely with all the other samples used, making this song one of my favorites with this sample.

Gangstarr - DWYCK

A favorite amongst hip hop fans is Gangstarr's "DWYCK", which uses the drums nicely along with DJ Premier's cuts and the vocals from Guru and Nice and Smooth.

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Cuttin' Headz

We now come to a more dirty, rough version with Ol' Dirty Bastard's single "Cuttin' Headz", off of his debut album. Of course the RZA had to take this break and make it dirty, to the point where it's kind of unrecognizable.

Naughty By Nature - OPP

Last but not least we have Naughty By Nature using this break for their biggest hit ever, "O.P.P.". Of all the songs that feature the Synthetic Substitution break, I think O.P.P. uses it the best, not necessarily from the way they used the break, but more from how they managed to take it and turn it into a massive chart-busting hit.

Finally, here we have the original song, Melvin Bliss' "Synthetic Substitution" single. Written by Herb Rooney, Melvin recorded the single in 1973, and since then everyone's been sampling it in one form or another.

Melvin Bliss - Synthetic Substitution

2. Warzone Beat Battle
  3. DJ Excellence

DJ Excellence

Burpman
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    classic indeed

4. Shonsteez

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Nice post Fade.

5. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Thanks. I'm hoping I can do more like this, you guys too if you want to do something like this let me know.

6. Big Tone

Big Tone

You done fucked up
    *** ill o.g. ***
    hell yeah. cant believe i just saw this but this is a must read and listen.