tempo tricks

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
.Just say my tempo is 84
.I will multiply 84 x 4 (the 4 represents the 4 count...you know 1, 2, 3, 4...)
.this gives me 336...so my tempo will be 84.336 for the beat
.I take 84.336 and divide it by 4 and come up with 21.084
.21.084 divided by 4 is 5.271
.from this point on I set all my levels by the numbers pitch, tone, etc

does anyone do this besides me?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
.Just say my tempo is 84

I don't........not exactly following what you're referring to when it comes to the pitch, tone, etc...I set levels by what I hear...not by any formula.....Any benefit to doing this?

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't........not exactly following what you're referring to when it comes to the pitch, tone, etc...I set levels by what I hear...not by any formula.....Any benefit to doing this?

Quite literally my thoughts exactly

Skid, elaborate please.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
.Just say my tempo is 84

HELLLL NO!!! i dont need any decimals in my tempos... lol just give me 84bpms... 100th aint really gonna matter, and im gonna hear slight tone differences... plus, that sounds like extra time n energy... lol

da relic

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
(with the example given)all Im saying is that I will set tones, pitches, and whatnots to 5.271=5, 10.542=11 and start from there and tweek them if need be...it seems to work somewhat....but at the end of the day the final say so comes from the "ears". Im just sharing a "method of madness" that I use alot. I hope I dont sound weird to yall...but this is what I do.

TheSol' Kidd

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Lol, That sounds too tedious.. Just gotta go with your ears man.. Not some formula.. Music's an expression.. an artform. It doesn't consist of formula's and equations, It's all emotion and feeling from the soul.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
It doesn't sound weird, a little unorthodox, but not weird in any aspect. Sometimes doing things a certain way gives you your sound...So definitely not a bad thing...

It does seem time consuming, though....But do what you do..keep bangin em out..

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Lol, That sounds too tedious.. Just gotta go with your ears man.. Not some formula.. Music's an expression.. an artform. It doesn't consist of formula's and equations, It's all emotion and feeling from the soul.
believe me though...everything is Mathematics...especially in music...I mean I have made a complete beat at the 84bpm...went back implemented the formula and had things sounding more cohesive...with a humanistic feel. Using math makes things more accurate...when you take mathematics out of something you get mistakes, discrepancies, gaps...which is nothing but human characteristics...which is NOT A BAD THING in music production. I think thats what makes the difference between a "Dilla (rip)" compared to a "Dre"...I mean I dont know if these men even used a mathematical formula to do things but Dre's sound sounds more cohesive mathematically, while Dilla's joints seem as if he felt his way through using the "ears".

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
skid can u sho us an example of the same beat w/ the formula implemented and w/o it...?

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
I think you would come out better trying it for your self...you could notice the slight changes that happen. Start with the tempo...whatever that may be x4...Notice the slight tempo pick up. From there dog its one of those things you ironically "feel" your way though applying the equasion to drum tones and pitches. Now I dont do this with every step...melodies, basslines...I use my ear and feelings to lay um down. Its mainly drums and tempo. Tempo is a most important part to track flow...alot of times just setting tempos at even settings takes away from the full potential of the flow....the "decimals" are there...to be utalized. But I swear I wish I had the patience to give examples...all my beats have this kind of method applied...I tried to look for beats without the method...but thats the first thing I do after I lay drums down...forgive a brother.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
And they said learning to adjust artillery fire wouldnt translate into civilian life.. I think you got something!
lmao! you crazy Relic...I sucked at math in school to...but its amazing what you learn by doing what you love to do. No one showed me this...this shit just pop'd up in my head one day and I tried it and I been doing it ever since....Im sure its nothing groundbreaking and shit....lmao

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
lmao! you crazy Relic...I sucked at math in school to...but its amazing what you learn by doing what you love to do. No one showed me this...this shit just pop'd up in my head one day and I tried it and I been doing it ever since....Im sure its nothing groundbreaking and shit....lmao

eh it may be actually. Everything operates at frequencies which translates to tempos etc. If you do the research you may be able to make people spontaneously combust or cure hunger or some ish lol

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
eh it may be actually. Everything operates at frequencies which translates to tempos etc. If you do the research you may be able to make people spontaneously combust or cure hunger or some ish lol

lmao thats funny.. i read some shit about certain music that helps people rehabilitate from memory loss... the frequencies made a part of ur brain grow back or somethin...

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
I know I half up tempos if a sample is at a certain "not cool" tempo
sometime putting a sample in a higher or lower octave will help...but first samples must be chopped where they loop correctly...you can do this by ear but I'd rather expand the wave form and see the correct spot where I need to start and stop my chops at the same time using my ear to make the final decision. If you use a piano roll...chop the sample correctly...set a tempo and metronome...move it up and down in octaves until the sample is in sync with the metronome...you can then build drums around the sample...thats one way I do it.

but if you lay a sample down at like 94 bpms and it sounds a tad bit to fast...drop the tempo to 93 and x4, it equals=372...your new tempo is 93.372. If it sounds a tad to slow, double the .372x2, it equals .744...your new tempo is 93.744. If it is still lagging a bit, divide the .372 in half, it equals .186, add the .186 to .744, your new tempo is 93.930. at this point its right at 94...but not quite. this lil bit of difference goes a long way as far as track flow.