The Akai MPC Touch Comes with a Touchscreen

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
mpctouch.jpg

Akai has just announced that they're set to release a new MPC. This one is called MPC Touch and you guessed it, it has a nice, big touchscreen.

What Is It?

When I first saw it, I immediately thought of the Native Instruments Maschine Studio with their dual screens, even though they're not touchscreens. Now, I'm not trying to spark a debate between Akai and NI and what both companies are doing to get ahead, but I'm assuming that the MPC touchscreen is inspired by Maschine Studio's screens.

Either way, this new MPC looks really good. From the specifications, it doesn't look ground-breaking but it certainly covers a lot of the standards, except for MIDI. For some reason they didn't mention any MIDI ins or outs, so we'll see about that (as of this writing, the Akai website is not loading).

Some Key Features
  • 7" color multi-touch Display
  • 16 velocity-sensitive MPC pads with RGB backlighting
  • 2-in/2-out audio interface
  • Step Sequencer with touch interface
  • XYFX control adds effects, adjusts sound dynamics in real time
  • Phrase Looper, enables connection of any instrument to create loops
  • Pad Mixer for setting levels, stereo panning and adding VST effects
  • Sample Edit control, for trimming, chopping and processing your samples
  • 4 new, performance-ready touch-sensitive control
  • Data Encoder knob, for push-and-twist control of display parameters
  • Includes MPC software with over 20 GB of sound content
The Guts

Here's where things get interesting. The touchscreen is a very good idea because for years I always thought it would be great if I could use a screen to actually touch a waveform and manipulate it. For example, I use Maschine, and even though the screen is good, and I can always look at my big monitor when fine-tuning a sample, but to actually touch a waveform could possibly make beatmaking a whole lot better. Maybe by touching the waveform it could allow the beatmaker to come up with different ideas.

The other issue I noticed from reading comments online is that the MPC Touch is not a standalone unit, as you need to have it hooked up to your computer running the MPC software. I get it. Hardcore MPC users are used to having an all-in-one box to bang out their beats, but on the other hand, it's sometimes good to change with the times. Software in conjunction with a hardware unit is so much more powerful than a standalone, since you can be limited by the hardware over time.

But having a standalone unit is also really dope as well. A few years back just before I decided on Maschine, I was contemplating grabbing an MPC 1000 because I was tired at looking at my computer screen to make beats. A standalone unit would have been great because not only would I not have to stare at the computer, I could also make beats on a plane or while taking a bath (although that could be dangerous!).

Conclusion

The Akai MPC Touch looks dope but it also leaves me wondering if Akai is either trying to play catch-up with Native Instruments, or if they're just stuck in between and wondering where to go next.

If you're a loyal MPC user (and especially if you use the Renaissance), then by all means the Touch would be a great addition to your studio setup. However, if you're looking to buy your first controller and software setup, take a good look at the Touch and other units as well.

More Information

For more information, visit the product page. The Akai MPC Touch is set to be released in November 2015 and the price will be $799 USD.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
For the last 6 months I've been working on an ipad because of several laptops crashing. I've been using a program called Beat maker 2, which is great, but i think the main appeal to me is chopping and producing on touch screen. ...which is amazing to me. With that in mind, I'll prolly be buying the MPC Touch even though I have not been an MPC user traditionally.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
For the last 6 months I've been working on an ipad because of several laptops crashing. I've been using a program called Beat maker 2, which is great, but i think the main appeal to me is chopping and producing on touch screen. ...which is amazing to me. With that in mind, I'll prolly be buying the MPC Touch even though I have not been an MPC user traditionally.
That's dope. I don't have a tablet but if I did, I would love to try doing that too. Although I love the workflow of Maschine.

Looks dope but I don't think I'll be getting one. Every year they come out with something that's supposed to revolutionize your work flow. But it's just another $800 light show.
So true. That's one of the downsides of all this new gear coming out, is that there's just too much of it. On one hand it's nice to have so many options, but it can also be confusing as well. And expensive!

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I dont know if I like it or not. Most of the new stuff are only software/midi controllers. Its cool if your just starting out and you don't have anything or restarting your setup. But once you have 1 or 2 controllers whats the point, since its the software that gives you the sound. Besides the touch screen whats the difference between this and the new MPD's akai recently released.

Just give me a hardware mpc one more time without the extra's

Last edited:

GratuiTous

Music Producer / Tutorialist @ itsGratuiTous.com
Watching the videos, I was thinking in the $300 -/+ range.. $800! Ya right! lol

Why not spend a bit more and get a Maschine Studio ?

I honestly find touch screens pretty finicky.. For example like when using a touch screen to edit text on a phone; can be a time consuming process, and you still sometimes don't get where you want!

With sample cuts you'd have to be just as precise, if not more.. (I'd say knobs are easiest for fine-tuning..?)

I agree with commenters above - a $800 light show.. yay! :p

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
I would have said the same thing u guys are saying about the touchscreen 7 months ago....but also while working on Beat maker 2 on ipad, I got this mixing and editing program called Auria and I live it. The whole being able to zoom via touchscreen thing is amazing.

$

$LANG GEMZ

if it was software based and standalone akai wouldve have cracked the market real well but since its another controller its basically the same software as the ren / studio with a touch screen and chopping samples on a touch screen isnt a next level workflow feature cmon akai. i was excited to hear akai making a new mpc hoping for that real best of both worlds standalone and software based a touch screen is dope for live effects etc but unless that unit gets some next level software update to make it standalone as well its just too over priced an lets be honest NI will beat akai to the some new standalone beast before them and price it better and supply better customer support since once numark brought akai there support for the mpc series went downhill real quick haha

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.

Beat maker 2 is the business.

MPC touch seems cool but i don't know how it will revolutionize anyones work flow really and I'm sure NI will have a touch screen in the next Maschine Studio just to spite Akai

On another note Needlz is a whore lol

GET2THAPAPER

Producer{CEO@Get2ThaPaper}
Might b amazing
I got the Beat Thang
Already made my money back 3x
Might get this akai Touch!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 477