The Easy Bake Era of Music Making

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Bring @Fade ya ass in here for this convo as I want to discuss the Easy Bake era of music making. I didn't own one but surely y'all remember the Easy Bake Oven toy that wouldn't get you mistaken for a chef. This is what I feel about those damned Unison MIDI chord ads, sample packs, etc. and while I don't think music making should be a pain in the ass to learn (I've been finding music theory vids to watch done by actual musicians who teach and/or have taught at various college, uni, etc. music schools and/or departments) there is a difference between being tactile w/your instrument(s) of choice vs. I'ma cop this drum kit, etc. and now I'm former hot non musical wannabe producer of the minute.

I get that many people are intrigued solely w/the image of a producer or beatmaker and not the actual work and that everyone does not have time or the desire to learn an instrument as it represents delayed gratification. But there is a cottage industry sending the message that modern music is largely a cut and paste, move some loops around and BAM! I'm dope but in reality you're average. Don't be that man or woman.

Last edited:

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
I personally dont use “sample packs” with pre-made melodies/loops... but for those that choose to use them, i feel like they should be treating them as samples and flipping them... chopping, changing tempo, changing pitch, etc. and also playing other instruments on top of the loops... if theyre midi packs, play around with different instruments, move notes around, add or delete notes, etc. I mean, it does seem a bit like “cheating” if u just grab a loop and throw drums on it... but to each his own.

Also remember those sample packs are created by other producers too, so if they cant sell many beats but are able to sell samples i cant knock them for that... Just my 2 cents...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I personally dont use “sample packs” with pre-made melodies/loops... but for those that choose to use them, i feel like they should be treating them as samples and flipping them... chopping, changing tempo, changing pitch, etc. and also playing other instruments on top of the loops... if theyre midi packs, play around with different instruments, move notes around, add or delete notes, etc. I mean, it does seem a bit like “cheating” if u just grab a loop and throw drums on it... but to each his own.

Also remember those sample packs are created by other producers too, so if they cant sell many beats but are able to sell samples i cant knock them for that... Just my 2 cents...
:this:

Those things are great and should be used as tools, not as a crutch. For me it's kinda like years ago when DJs would battle and some would use the line switch to do a scratch. It's okay for a certain effect but you still had to know how to actually scratch with the fader.

Bring @Fade ya ass in here for this convo as I want to discuss the Easy Bake era of music making. I didn't own one but surely y'all remember the Easy Bake Oven toy that wouldn't get you mistaken for a chef. This is what I feel about those damned Unison MIDI chord ads, sample packs, etc. and while I don't think music making should be a pain in the ass to learn (I've been finding music theory vids to watch done by actual musicians who teach and/or have taught at various college, uni, etc. music schools and/or departments) there is a difference between being tactile w/your instrument(s) of choice vs. I'ma cop this drum kit, etc. and now I'm former hot non musical wannabe producer of the minute.

I get that many people are intrigued solely w/the image of a producer or beatmaker and not the actual work and that everyone does not have time or the desire to learn an instrument as it represents delayed gratification. But there is a cottage industry sending the message that modern music is largely a cut and paste, move some loops around and BAM! I'm dope but in reality you're average. Don't be that man or woman.
Completely agree. If you're not thinking and challenging yourself you're not learning. It may sound sad but I like listening back to songs I made years ago because I feel a sense of accomplishment. Don't think I'd have that feeling if I just stacked a few loops in the same key on top of each other.