The Godfather of Hip-Hop took my demo.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
This was probably one of my biggest highlights of being a producer. I met the man himself, Russell Simmons. His was in Little Rock, AR, on a promotional tour for Def Jam University and Phat Farm clothing. He had a party, down town Little Rock. His was accepting demo's for his new label RSMG. I got a rapper in down here in Mississippi that needs to be heard (of course ya know he is rapping over my beats), so I took my ass to Little Rock, AR to drop off the demo. When I got there, the shit was packed. Cats from Memphis, Texas, Louisiana, etc., was in that mug. The party started at 8 p.m., Russell didn't show up until 10:30 p.m. (icons) When he got there, he set up a booth, where he sat at to accept demo's and meet people. Niggas flooded to the table. I stood in line like an hour. When I got to the table, I shook his hand and gave him my boy's demo. He asked where I was from, I was like Mississippi. He was like you came way over here? I was like, when is the next time you coming to Mississippi. He just laughed and said," thats grinding, I will make sure my A+R's listen to this". I was like I would appreciate that. I just wanted to share that with my ILLMUZIK fam.

Oh another thing, Russell was turning cats away because they shit wasn't copywritten, niggas was hot as hell. So niggas get ya shit copywritten and try to join ASCAP or BMI, that shit really helps out. :shoot:

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Cool . . . By the title of the your post I thought you meant he stole a track or something.

It's cool to hear he was doing that, most people don't do that and hate being handed demos. It's a 1/1,000,000 shot of them actually remembering your cd and actually giving it a listen out of all they probably recieved and another 1/1,000,000 for them to call you back but you never know right . . . good luck

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Equelizer said:
Oh another thing, Russell was turning cats away because they shit wasn't copywritten, niggas was hot as hell. So niggas get ya shit copywritten and try to join ASCAP or BMI, that shit really helps out. :shoot:

Definitely good stuff, I had some of Rich Harrisons camp over, I am good friends with his partna, they heard a couple tracks they wanted to send to him but that was the first thing they said, please make sure you copyright it first....there are actually people that not only because they dont want be liable but sometimes they try to do the right thing where your music is concerned.....but you know sometimes its a subliminal melody that someone can hear....and not intentionally they construct a beat with a melody that is similiar so they do not even want to hear the unsolicited uncopywritten music.....for fear of simply possesing it when a song might get written even coincidentally but bears a resemblance to your work....it really is not that serious you might think but, it can happen then all you have is the story to tell about how so and so jacked your beat or concept after you find out you cant afford to even begin a case to win.....again good luck man I know it will work out for you!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
www.uspto.gov form SR....that's a start, even a composition containing samples that have been altered enuff from the original can be copywritten...I have certificates to a lot my beats just in case of jackers that want to sample something close enuff to my concept...copyright your music, remixes and originals if you are sending out beat cd's and samplers......

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
H&R said:
Cool . . . By the title of the your post I thought you meant he stole a track or something.

It's cool to hear he was doing that, most people don't do that and hate being handed demos. It's a 1/1,000,000 shot of them actually remembering your cd and actually giving it a listen out of all they probably recieved and another 1/1,000,000 for them to call you back but you never know right . . . good luck

lol...oh he will remember it...i had a picture of one of the baddest bitches in the delta on the demo....then a again he might not.....but i was trying to make sure he remembered me and my cd....but you are right....it is 1/1,000,000 shot.

but you will never know unless you try.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
He came to Milwaukee too But I couldn't make it, I was PISSSED!!!! My guy handed him a cd though and some of my stuff is on there but not the type of stuff I would present myself with...

Good Luck with that man, sounds good..

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I thought Kool Herc was the godfather of hip-hop, but either way good looking out.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Glad to see you doing things man, but yeah, it's a 1/million change that he'll go back and listen to that demo himself and call you up, but yo good luck man. Just sit tight.

And about the copywriting, when it says it costs $30 bucks for a sound recording, do you have to pay $30 for each beat you want to copywrite? How does it work?

KNivez

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Seoul P said:
Glad to see you doing things man, but yeah, it's a 1/million change that he'll go back and listen to that demo himself and call you up, but yo good luck man. Just sit tight.

And about the copywriting, when it says it costs $30 bucks for a sound recording, do you have to pay $30 for each beat you want to copywrite? How does it work?

I guess since every track you make iz technically a different sound recording..yes.
But since its all on 1 cd it might you might not have to do that.

For more info check it out here http://www.copyright.gov/

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
Seoul P said:

nall man....just put as many as beats as you can on a disc. It only cost $30 for each CD. I had that same question, so I called them and thats what they told me. Just make sure you put the tools you used to make the beats and it helps that you record the date and time that the beat was made or finished.