The next step after fruity...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I want to have a more professional sound to my beats. I do use Fruity (and probably always will) but I cant seem to be satisfied with the sound it gives off. What would (should/could) be the next thing I'm aiming at?

By the way, don't take the beats I have in SoundClick as reference. I dont have an internet connection (I will in a while...), so I put those beats on the net at my cousins house who only has the basic sounds of fruity in his computer...

XpLiCiiT

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I say Maybe the Next Step Might be Reason and Master That This Program Will Take You A WHile To Get Used To But It Is Worth It....Pz

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
I want to have a more professional sound to my beats. I do use Fruity (and probably always will) but I cant seem to be satisfied with the sound it gives off. What would (should/could) be the next thing I'm aiming at?

By the way, don't take the beats I have in SoundClick as reference. I dont have an internet connection (I will in a while...), so I put those beats on the net at my cousins house who only has the basic sounds of fruity in his computer...

FLStudio aka Fruity Loops can make real professional beats.

I'd recommend trying to get the most of the progeam before moving on to something else and the same problem occuring.

Some advice to get the most out of FL, get some good sounds i.e. samples or VSti, the qaulity of your sounds and samples = the qaulity of your beats

good luck

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
well then, I i stick with fruity, what i like are sf2... quality wise, it's what i really like, but i dont want to pay for sounds (Ima cheap SOB)...

And if i dont, where should I go software or hardware... cuz it looks like most big producer don't use software except for the final mixing of voice w/ beat...

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
well then, I i stick with fruity, what i like are sf2... quality wise, it's what i really like, but i dont want to pay for sounds (Ima cheap SOB)...

And if i dont, where should I go software or hardware... cuz it looks like most big producer don't use software except for the final mixing of voice w/ beat...

yeah, that is starting to change though as Software becomes more prominant.

The first thing I would recommend is buying the full version of FLStudio if you haven't already done so. Once you do that, you get access to an excellent FL forum, lifetime updates and access to about 2 gigabytes of quality samples!

also sample your own stuff too - vinyl, Tv, movies, outside noise, live instruments etc.

yo know 9th Wonder uses FL right?

if you do decide to use something else instead of or as well as FL, make sure you do it for a GOOD reason. Find out EXACTLY what advantages it will give you and your production

holla

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
changalang said:
i used to use fruity loops but when i switched to reason my production sounded a lot better

whattup changalang,

I'm glad to hear that your productions are sounding better, but the reason for that is most likely because Reason comes with excellent samples.

if you had the same quality samples in FL, the results should be the same

good luck with your production anyway playa

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^ I agree

im a GREAT users at both

but my things come out better in REASON since I had great REFILLS

well im back to fruiity and using Hypersonic and Sample tank 2 xl...its a whole new ball game

and i got MAD drum kits(mpc, bangin beats, big fish audio) and im learning how to use intakt to step up my sampling game...

if i upgrade anything it would be my midi controller and some sound modulers..and maybe a mpc 1k for show and the road...

but FL doesnt make your beats better..neither does reason

its you

listen to BLownuprecords on soundclick

he does EVERYTHING on a motif rack + sample tank + Fruity loops

and he is better then alot of mainstream producers

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
N.U.G. said:
whattup changalang,

I'm glad to hear that your productions are sounding better, but the reason for that is most likely because Reason comes with excellent samples.

if you had the same quality samples in FL, the results should be the same

good luck with your production anyway playa

I'm glad everyone's giving Big ups to Fruity Loops because I have once doubted its capabilities, later learning that is was my lack of the software's knowledge that didn't make my beats "hot". Collect samples anywhere you can and create your OWN directory of hot shit, man. It seems that most people (including myself) are starting to use FL to "show the hot producers that they don't need groove boxes and other hardware hanging from their ceilings" to make a hot product. Fl is a very convienent software package that should really start getting its deserved credit. Assess what you have and what you need, then buy equipment accordingly.

My broke ass is still usin FL demo (can't save shit but i can export my beats for I shut down) but best believe I'm coppin that sucker this weekend! HOLlA

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You can get a clean sound out of FL only on a 16bit/44kHz if

1. You have good nearfield monitors.
2. Know how to use the plugins, how to apply effects and dynamics in general.

You can get a better/pro sound out of FL if

1. You have good nearfield monitors.
2. A farmcard that I/O's at least 16 Channels, or a ADC+DAC with 16 I/O. 24 channels are better.
3. A good 24 chnl console to route FL audio channels via farmcard I/O.
4. Know how to use the plugins, how to apply effects and dynamics in general.
5. Get some hardware dynamics and effects to replace the plugins.
6. Make a dead room of the place you have your setup at, use absorbing materials and make tilted wallsurfaces, this diffuse's audio waves bouncing through your room, killing the reflection of audio is a priority reference for polishing your tracks.

Ez

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
yea reason has a lot of nice sounds that come with it, but for some reason in fruity loops my drums just didnt sound right. maybe its because i was using version 3.4 or something, i didnt really want to switch to studio. now that im using reason i do notice that i make less beats than when i used fruity, but theres more quality than quantity

T

The Bastard

nah nah, switchin to reason wont make your beats better itll jus make em sound like under water farts from outta space right xplicit, nah but for real make sure u have pro sounding samples to begin with and remember its had to make pro beats if your a beginner,pros make pro beats so become a pro at the program,the drums can be tricky cuz yur programing them using visual guessing but if partner up the fl with a mpd 16 youll be better off

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^ Word making good libraries ( kits of samples ) is half the good work and makes the whole production phase a LOT easier. You just have to dedicate time so just editing your libraries.

A

Akademik

I'm still working on fruity loops, but i plan to upgrade on reason as soon as possiable

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Akademik said:
I'm still working on fruity loops, but i plan to upgrade on reason as soon as possiable

I'd recommend trying Reason and seeing if you prefer it to FLStudio but honestly the best thing to do is MASTER one if them.

Mastering ANY production equipment (hardware or software) = DOPE BEATS

shiiiit, cats used to make beats using a tape recorder and the pause button...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Shit, I master both, you'll find your preferences when you squeeze out both programs. I made my conclusion so far... FL's the way to go for me, I use reason on occasion at somebody elses studio, I mean, I dont care, I work the lot, If I'm in the modus I'll use anything at hand for the sake of getting the idea's out of my head. Learn all I say, be versatile, eventualy it's about setting a product, anywhere.

sadamz85

ill o.g.
Sup Illmuzik fam.. i've been a lurker on these boards for a LONG ASS TIME.. but i thought I had to post on this question. I've been using FL studio forever and I gotta say that it takes awhile to really be able to use the program to make anything good. My advice to you is to: Try and break FL studio. Use it in ways that you aren't supposed to. See what happens when you take a hi hat, apply every effect the program has on it.. change it's pitch, it's pan etc. Because if you look strictly at the face of the program, you're going to be stuck in a box (just kinda like the little boxes on the step sequencer). Also, don't think "i'm only using fruityloops.. that's why my beats sound like this." Using FL Studio, there isn't much you can't do. If you can't tell yet, i'm pretty passionate about this shit. Also, I reccomend that you focus on the SOUNDS of things. Don't be satisfied with corny sounding shit like using "Plucked" without any effects. Aiight.. im'a chill.. if you have any questions.. post them here and i'll be happy to answer them. peace.

members online