to my west coast heads?

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
what instrument makes that west coast sound like in the dope man song or in the beggining of menace to society, what instrument is that or what instruments could I use to make some west coast beats?

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Yeah, its often reffered to as a 'worm', the instrument used in the dope man song.
I'm not sure what exact synth it is, but I know its possible to recreate it using the 3x Osc if you use FL. Get the song Ohio Players - Funky Worm, and just tweak the 3x Osc until you get a similar sound.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
a lot of the mid 90's westcoast stuff had a really live feel to it...so if they weren't using an 808, they were using live sounding drums and often they had actual drummers/bassists/keys players in the studio with them (like dre still does). if you sample, look into groups like parliament funkadelic, zapp and roger, george clinton and those guys to get an idea of what to look for and for the vibe to go for.

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THERE YOU GO RIGHT THERe ...... in fruity loops got use the buzz effect adapter i know the sounnd is called a Theremin hold on let me look.........................................................................................................it's called the zephod voidsynth II and all you do is click import buzz preset and click the word Theremin thats the closest iv'e heard in FL

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Gangsta Whine, as its sometimes called, aka that worm thang. Thats about westcoast as i gets. Other than that, Mess with some deep dramatic ass strings, maybe some trippy delay shit, and mess with the timing on your hats. ie, dont always have em hitting on 16ths or 8ths or whatever, mess around with some stuff.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
that kid said:
what instrument makes that west coast sound like in the dope man song or in the beggining of menace to society, what instrument is that or what instruments could I use to make some west coast beats?

the worm is a continuous staple of west coast stuff.

if you're looking for the dr. dre piano sound go digging for some rhodes piano sounds on the net or in a music store...although needless to say you're not gonna have his exact sounds without some real knowledge.

another common dr.dre (and therefore west coast) technique is to pan sound effects as the drums drop to give a nice feel to the beat. check out been through the storm on busta's "the big bang" to see what i mean.

more than anything though west coast shit is just a certain vibe to the beat. definitely not quantized or crazy ass drums- if you listen to a lot of quik and dre they tend to use very swingy drums and in the case of dre tend to use very simple drum patterns (i.e. compare '2001' to some heatmakerz stuff to see what i mean).

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hi-Lo said:
in the case of dre tend to use very simple drum patterns (i.e. compare '2001' to some heatmakerz stuff to see what i mean).

this is a horrible comparison how about rza just blaze or premo somebody that is actually good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as dre........

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nuff B said:
this is a horrible comparison how about rza just blaze or premo somebody that is actually good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as dre........

i mentioned the heatmakerz because they use 3/4 drums most of the time which have a very different swing than the very simple 4/4 of dre. who said i was complementing the heatmakerz?

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hi-Lo said:
i mentioned the heatmakerz because they use 3/4 drums most of the time which have a very different swing than the very simple 4/4 of dre. who said i was complementing the heatmakerz?

could someone please give me an example where they use 3/4 instead of 4/4??

and for the worm sound/gangsta whine, just use a sine wave. play it in a high pitch.

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
thanks, I got the funky worm sample to use as a model it's been used mad times so I won't try and use it again. I wanna get that vst now also, just trying to make some west coast beats to change up my daily routine.

I've also noticed there is a difference of west coast beats from diego to the bay, the bay has different stlye so does San Diego way different then G-funk or L.a based rappers.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea, the so called westcoast sound is pretty diverse at this point. Its a lot of new stuff that you cant tell which coast it came from, or the south.