Voice Synth (2pac - California Love, Kool G Rap - My Life)

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Anybody know how i'd go about getting the voices like those used in the chorus's on these songs?

Help appreciated...

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Called a Vocoder...

ill o.g.
Im pretty sure Korg arent the only people that make them, but Korgs vocoder is pretty good.

I used the one on the MicroKorg and it was pretty tweakable.

X

-xs-

the Orange Vocoder plug-in was pretty good, i forget who makes it

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
much props on helpin me out people!

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
The vocoder is a more modern / computer version of what they used. If you want the real deal it's called a Dunlop Heil Talk Box it was made for Guitars but people started using it with synths. I personally have one. It's basically a guitar pedal with a tube in it. Hook your module / keyboard up the the pedal and the sounds comes out of the tube. Stick the tube in your mouth and mouth the words while playing a note / melody. In order to record the sound that's coming out of the tube you need to have the mic right next to your mouth. It sort of complicated but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. Oh yeah one more thing it's best to use a keyboard or a guitar amp to boost the instruments vol level.

Attachments

• talkbox.jpg
    talkbox.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 221
X

-xs-

MadScientist said:
The vocoder is a more modern / computer version of what they used. If you want the real deal it's called a Dunlop Heil Talk Box it was made for Guitars but people started using it with synths. I personally have one. It's basically a guitar pedal with a tube in it. Hook your module / keyboard up the the pedal and the sounds comes out of the tube. Stick the tube in your mouth and mouth the words while playing a note / melody. In order to record the sound that's coming out of the tube you need to have the mic right next to your mouth. It sort of complicated but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. Oh yeah one more thing it's best to use a keyboard or a guitar amp to boost the instruments vol level.

how does the Talk Box's sound compare to that of a computer-based vocoder? Does it sound much better/different? just curious

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I have the orange vocoder and fruityLoops... Can someone put on how to use them... anyone of those two?!

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
-xs- said:
how does the Talk Box's sound compare to that of a computer-based vocoder? Does it sound much better/different? just curious

It just sounds different. The Talk box has more of that natural analog sound. I like the Talk box better then the vocoder .... It sounds less computerized and more natural. Like that sound could possibly be really coming from your throat. It wouldn't hurt to have both and layer them to get a better sound. That's what I would do.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
korg's vocoder in the microkorg and ms2000 is suppost to be based on the VC10 vocoder korg used to make, simple to use and you get that nice analog sound good for making robot voices etc

def my fav vocoder, software sucks for this IMO

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
a talk box was used on california.. a vocoder isnt as warm, best to get a talk box, then you can throw in some fx on the recorded pattern if u need.

AHXBEATS

AHXIMUS PRIME
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Dj Swivel

djswivel said:
how do you use the vocoder in reason?? im too lazt to read the manual lol

for me when i attach it to a nn-xt or whatever, the ony thing that wor on the vocoder is the EQ.....but when you got the vocoder selected, it doesnt make any sound....i dont get it

It's really simple, and the manual don't tell you shit. Definitly one of the worst manuals I've ever had for a peice of software.. Any way here's the run down>>

1) Open up a new track: Mixer, NN19,NNXT and the Vocoder.

2) Load a sample in to the NN19, something with just words in it,A Hook, speech.etc..

3) Next Load up the NNXT with some Guitar or Strings, I like the BIG STRINGS.

4) Now make sure you Vocoder is set to VOCODER not EQUALIZER.

5) Hit TAB to flip the rack around, here's the wiring>

a) Disconect the Right Output From the NN19, and connect the left output into the modulator on the back of the vocoder (has a Little Microphone Symbol).

b) Now disconnect the right and left outputs from the NNXT (1/L and 2/R), now reconnect them into the CARRIER INPUT on the back of the VOCODER (has a Little Keyboad Symbol).

6) Flip the rack back around and press play, you will now see the Modulation levels moving.

7) Just hit any key on you keyboard to here the vocoder, the sound changes with every key you hit. (Not your Computer Keyboard, Your Reason Keyboard).

8) If you still don't have any sound, check to see is you Vocoder is wired in to the mixer, check you mixer volume, if that don't work retrace your steps....

(Bonus) Try switching you band settings on the vocoder, for better results use 32 Band.

There You have it. I don't use it personally but I was messing around with the wiring one day and figured this out. Pretty simple, they have all the little pictures on the back of the rack to guide you. Plus knowing how to read a wiring diagram could also help.
Good Luck. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

X-RAY
"aka"
Jewel Avenue OX

Frictionbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 51
Rogers Talkbox Sound

By far the best way to go is the Talkbox! I own a talkbox I made myself. I have a keyboard with Rogers Parameters. This thing is off the chain!! after a couple of years looking for the Roger sound...I aqquired it! Then I figured out how to make my own, A'la Roger Troutman. for that layered sound You just overdubb your vocals like a normal singer would in the studio. You have to get the hang of the tube and wording your words correctly, but a little practice should do it. Also it isn't just the talkbox, Its a mic trick as well.

I would recomment the Banshee, because it already has an amplifier built-in & a bypass switch.

If want a sound sample or more info, e-mail me.

Frictionbeats@cox.net

Stay up!!!

Im out!

-Friction