Week of March 11, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

open mind

???where da hell is everybody???

is this a hiphop forum or wut? nobody wanna flip a sample?....

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
that sample was wak. thats why i aint flipping it

True.. the sample may not be the illest thing.. or somethin i'd even choose if i was digging but.. part of the idea is to see how different producers go about creating something out of nothing.

OpenMind -- Truthfully, I wasn't really feelin it. The melody itself wasnt that catchy to me like it was missin that edge. The drums weren't bad necessarily, just how they were used didnt add much to the beat. I dunno, just my .02

As far as my flip goes.. i lost interest in it about half way through. wasn't up to arranging it as it should be done but.. left enough so you can hear the two different directions i was headed with my beat. just kinda threw em together.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5108702&q=hi

Hear me out.

O

open mind

5th seqeunce: i wasnt feelin the arrangment it didnt sound hiphop.i liked the drums that u got on there.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Openmind: not really feeling this tune. the arrangement doesn't seem to work very well. Drum work seems nice though.

5th sequence: very nice flip dude. I like the arrangement, everything seems to mix pretty well. The drum work is cool too. It seems like you can make almost anything sound dope.

My flip:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=663677&songID=5111786

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
bart 5 - i was feelin the direction you took it. it was a bit slow at first, but it worked in the end. i was diggin the filter work/wah effect thing u had goin on for the transition. plus the drums were sounded good with it, nice bro.

boneidle - you def put sometime into it man, it can be heard. quality flip man, has a story tellin type vibe thats kinda playful with that piano run you used. i like it, props.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
::: Keep it iLL :::

www.ominousred.com/audio/Ominous_Mar11a.mp3

www.ominousred.com/audio/Ominous_Mar11a.rps

5th Seq got my favorite flip so far in this exercise. I also checked out a few of your other beats. Very good sh*t. That's my flavor. 90s boom bap sh*t. Pete Rock had a song for iNi that sounded very similar to your Casablanca flip because of that phaser effect sound.

Brt 5 was a close second. I do the same thing you did, slow it down and chop it up. I just slowed down a different part of the cut. You came with a different sound all together.

Boneidle, props for how you chopped it. You tied for second in my opinion. It took a minute to grow on me but the beat is good. I just don't like the part of the strings you used because it reminds me of elevator music. But they way you lined up the keys right after the strings was tight. You had the best drum kit so far. Nice snare hits.

I had a hard time with this sample. I listened to the whole song looking for something that stood out that I wanted to chop but I had nothing bro. So I just pulled clean sounds and experimened for an hour until I had this. Ohh well, maybe I'll cut better next go round.

Props to everybody who tried to flip this sample.

O

open mind

bart5: best flip so far the loop is like hypnotic after a while nice drumsamples uhhhhm yeah the changeup is also nice.i could imagine de la soul in this joint.great work.

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Just passing through thought I'd leave some feedback:

open mind: sounds to me like something that would work as an interlude but I couldn't imagine an MC over it really

5th sequence: It's dope man I like it, nice drums and arrangment. Sounds smooth like some Hi-Tek/DJ Spinna kind of shit. Only thing I'd say is I imagine the horn cutting out first time the synthy noise comes in to give it a bit of space, maybe not but that's how I heared it in my head. That's definetley a usable beat though

bart 5: again, sounds like something that would work as an interlude or maybe with some spoken word over it. Or maybe as an instrumental track if you built up more layers. It's nice though, easy on the ears and I like the use of filtering

boneidle: dope, like the arrangment, maybe it's just the speakers I'm using (they're terrible) but the drums sound a bit harsh and kill the track a bit. I'd wait to see what others say about that though, 'cause maybe it is just these speakers. But that's a lush sounding beat man, good work

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
bonedile - the piano really worked well with this. the arrangement is good too. nice beat.

Ominous - i agree with you, this track was hard to flip. i took me a while to find something that worked. honestly, your beat kinda seems a little too intense. the scratching was nice though. i liked the direction the beat was going when it started to form a party beat, but the parttern was too dark.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
5th seqeunce: i wasnt feelin the arrangment it didnt sound hiphop.i liked the drums that u got on there.

Are you fuckin crazy?????
The arrangement is str8 hiphop...
5th the only problem is that the loop is very slightly off, but like you say you werent puttin all into it,,Good flip..

Bart5-I liked it thats the way your supposed to grab stuff and and fliup things..Very hypnotic.

South Africa-Really nice you took your time and went through the song.. :thumb:

Ominous- I feel threw the wu on it cool tuff..

yeah it aint the most bangin sample ever but like was said its an exercise..

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Ahh thanks to everyone for the reviews so far, forgot to say that in my last post. An yeah Relic, that shit is off by a good peice i really said fuck it after a while an just posted it lol.

Ominous - Thanks for the props man, i appreciate it thats definitely the sound I'm goin for. On to your review .. I see where you're goin with it, it's not bad but could have more to it know what i mean? The melody itself had potential, i could see just messin around with that an adding some variations you could take it somewhere. The drums were alright, i think they could have done more as far as setting a solid foundation for your beat though. The scratching was a good touch, it added an extra edge to the overall vibe i dig it. All in all it wasn't a bad beat, just it didn't have a solid direction/vibe that was its own (if that makes sense). Thats just my .02, but keep it up man keep doin you.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I would like to get in this.....only if the damn yousendit doesn't take the files off so damn quickly...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
yo I got the sample on my soundclick page www.soundclick.com/360onenation

I actually flipped this on the wack version of FL STudio its called "nada" but feel free to download the sample.

Shit Im lovin that "A kiss is just a kiss" do a brotha a favour and keep that up till I get to the crib!

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online