What are your music-related regrets?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm just curious what some of you could have done and regret not doing. Music related. It could be you wish you had of learned how to play the piano at an early age, or you wish you had of bought that software/hardware, etc.

For me:
  • I wish I had of taken that audio engineering course. I did take a course later but that first school was the one I wish I had of taken.
  • I wish I had of competed in that '99 DMC. I was in it but didn't compete because my needle and record got fucked up earlier in the day when practising lol.
  • I wish I had of bought the MPC 2000XL when it came out. I didn't have enough $.
  • I wish I had of bought the Alesis SR-16 drum machine.
  • I wish I had of networked more back in the day. I missed some opportunities because I was stubborn.
What about you guys?

Probably smoking for like 3 years. For me it just killed workrate and creativity.
Then deleting my soundcloud account that was getting like 500 plays/day. I did this because SC was too expensive for me at the time but I learned if something is working keep it going, get rid of things that arent.
I don't have many music regrets. Music is one of the things in life I've done ok with. Now if we're talking relationships that's different story.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Not being interested in music at the stereotypical age(s) e.g. early childhood and/or early teens, now I want to make music and I can't even discuss w/my non-musical family how it would make me feel if I did.

What caused you to quit? How do you think your beats would be right now if you didn't quit?
After going all in promoting on myspace to get thousands of followers and then the collapse of myspace as well as everything I did sounding the same, I got disillusioned by the whole industry.
They say everything happens for a reason

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
- not having the opportunity to continie to learn guitar as a kid
- not learning piano because i didn't want to play "oh when the saints"
- not capitalising on some really good opportunities and contacts i had the fortune to meet/work with
- not taking the "lesser" opportunities that weren't in line with my desires because waiting for better opportunities, could have probably got somewhere fun with them by now
- not collaborating more or finding a way to do so comfortably (often found it awkward)
- should have made more effort to actually release stuff.

- not listening to my own thoughts, ideas and principles earlier on only to later realise that these things are advocated and practised by top people. (Would have been doing/making better a longgg time ago)

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
Goofing off at school (in my early ages) during music class. Would have learned so much more if I took more of an interest at an early age.

Goofing off at school (in my early ages) during music class. Would have learned so much more if I took more of an interest at an early age.
I was the same, music was so boring at school. But then so was history too. I have found a passion for both in later life. Was shit at drawing at school too, only realised I was decent once Id left. I made some really shit decisions in my education days that have cost me to this day. I would have liked to have got a degree in music engineering and production. But didnt know that when I was in education.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
I was the same, music was so boring at school. But then so was history too. I have found a passion for both in later life. Was shit at drawing at school too, only realised I was decent once Id left. I made some really shit decisions in my education days that have cost me to this day. I would have liked to have got a degree in music engineering and production. But didnt know that when I was in education.

It ain't never too late to brush up on some of the music engineering concepts. I'm looking into some supplemental material on coursera.com. They seem to have some decent options from a music engineering perspective to at least get the ball rolling if time and money are a concern (plus it's remote learning so that is a plus).

DezzzRAj

DezzRAj
I'm just curious what some of you could have done and regret not doing. Music related. It could be you wish you had of learned how to play the piano at an early age, or you wish you had of bought that software/hardware, etc.

For me:
  • I wish I had of taken that audio engineering course. I did take a course later but that first school was the one I wish I had of taken.
  • I wish I had of competed in that '99 DMC. I was in it but didn't compete because my needle and record got fucked up earlier in the day when practising lol.
  • I wish I had of bought the MPC 2000XL when it came out. I didn't have enough $.
  • I wish I had of networked more back in the day. I missed some opportunities because I was stubborn.
What about you guys?

For me:
What about you guys?

My primary regret was not exercising consistent self discipline during my musical journey. I had very bad habits and addictions that would hinder my productivity and distract me from my goal of making great beats that people would enjoy listening to. I should’ve kept the “main thing, the main thing”. Instead, I let my lack of focus pull me in multiple directions and drifted aimlessly, not accomplishing what I originally set out to do. I’m grateful for what I learned and experienced thus far, but I wish I would’ve given it my absolute best when I was at my prime and had the time to give. Now that I have a family, my work and providing for them gives me joy and music serves as my escape.

Other regrets:
  • Not marketing myself better.
  • Wasting money on drugs, alcohol, parties, and women, instead of investing in better gear. (Money management)
  • Picking the damn Violin to play instead of Piano when I was younger . Lol!
“There are two types of pain you will go through in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”
-Jim Rohn

“There are two types of pain you will go through in life: the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”
-Jim Rohn
Yeah thats true, I try not to dwell on the past that cannot be changed. The future is in my control