What did you have to give up when you moved out?

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
So my uncle rang me yesterday. He's moving out with his girl to her place, and he asked me if me and my girl wanna rent his current house. Since we're living out of one room at the minute in my parents' house and got a baby in the way, I said yes straight away. £400 ($600) a month rent, 2 bedroom furnished house. I know I'm gonna have to give a couple of things up to afford the house and baby, and I'm gonna have to put my gear search on hold, but what did you guys have to give up, if anything, when you moved out?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
So my uncle rang me yesterday. He's moving out with his girl to her place, and he asked me if me and my girl wanna rent his current house. Since we're living out of one room at the minute in my parents' house and got a baby in the way, I said yes straight away. £400 ($600) a month rent, 2 bedroom furnished house. I know I'm gonna have to give a couple of things up to afford the house and baby, and I'm gonna have to put my gear search on hold, but what did you guys have to give up, if anything, when you moved out?

I moved out when I was younger and I was single with no kids so the transition wasn't as difficult. I remember not wanting to take on any unnecessary bills such as cable, a pager (beeper), or anything of that sort, just the basics. I was able to save a LOT of money
which I ultimately used to buy my 1st round of studio equipment and downpayment for a house.

Bills and responsiblities always come first, if you can bang out a beat with your current setup, then don't buy anything new. Gear is not gonna warm your house in the winter, you can't wear a MPC outside in the winter, so focus on getting the house straight and you'll be good to go.

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Beer and weed.

Well maybe not give up, but cut down drastically. Definitely try and cut back on buying any gear unless its essential. You will regret buying a £400 mic when the heating bill drops in the letterbox...

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yes man - that kind of stuff you need to cut. I did the same and you end up with about £150-200 a month more than I thought.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
You'd be surprised how much stuff you think thats only a couple bucks can cost you ...
I go out everyweekend and spend about $60 clubbin and drinks on a fri and sat now
if I stopped that'd be $240 a month I save ... My phone bill is about $150 thats enough
to pay it off and have money left over ... Or the cable bill itself and etc.

Sadly I can't give that up ... lol school man, degree, get a good paying job is the
only way around not having to struggle and give things up.

I gave up going out clubbing, and nice warm dinners on the table for me.
Its taken me a few years to finally be able to pay the bills and have some money left for things I need.
Taxation is the biggest shock to the system, especially the council tax. Actually the price of rent is an even bigger shock, especially when all you can get is private accomodation.
Im in a studio flat and thats 550 a month, but then Im also in London and its so fucking expensive here.
Good luck in the big bad world.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I had to give up plotting to kill my then stepmom.
Which is one reason I faded off into the streets, stupid and full of anger. I gave up free living, an education and looking out for my lil bro too.
All in all it prolly wasnt the best decision, but Im not sure what viable alternatives there was at the time.

But I guess none of that is what you were really asking about.
When that baby comes your not gonna be able to afford much anymore and drinking and other vices are prolly the best thing to quit to save money.
Music will take a backseat too, but its only for 18 years or so dont worry about that! lol
OH and new clothes, all that goes to the baby.. A decent car, all that goes away untill later in life.
THEN one day after years of sacrifice your son or daughter will assume the "Fuck you dad, you dont know shit! Im outta here!!" attitude and the cycle starts anew.
I remember when I knew everything in the world, it all went away the moment I saw my daughter and held her and then brought her home.
That was when suddenly all my universal knowledge was zpped from me and suddenly my peeps weren't so damn dumb after all..lol (They still fail to see the bigger picture though lol.)

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Yeah right about the time your fumbling half asleep for a diaper in the 2am dark while the baby is colicky and screaming, you'll be there lol.
I remember I threw out w/e pj bottom she had on at the time cuz it was soiled and one of the grandparents fell out laughing asking me what was I doing throwing it away? Note: Your suppose to wash those things and reuse them even though they have crap on them lol.. Hell I was sleepwalking pretty much.

Hell I had to learn how to "play" again. That shit was a lesson believe it or not, I spent so much time being "Hard" and hanging with tough guys I had forgot.

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Oh Fasho!!

Whats a Council tax?

a crippling tax imposed by local government based on the value of the house you're living in, regardless of whether you own it or not. Basically fucks over anyone like myself on a lower income. Total bullshit.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah i just had my baby in feb, right before gettin my place.. theres a lotta shit you can give up that ain't
really necessary.. i started with my internet connection (you can always forum whore during your 9-5), cable tv, hell even buying your damn food in bulk raw products and cookin for yourself instead of all that pre-processed packaged shit helps.. then you've got other shit that some people deem necessary, like your clothing, your hair cuts, your good bad habits.. skimp on that shit and buy some bulk ass amounts diapers/baby ass wipes, you'll need em. all in all, that bout covers what i could think of off the top of my head, but you can count on your woman "needing" all sorts of things for the baby that you might see no practical point in, i suggest you keep her happy! (even if that means spending more)
anyway whatever you decide to cut out on, i wish you luck entering the world of fatherhood when it comes, it's tedious as hell but exciting.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Ya the MOST fun part is the post partum shit, everyone is happy that there is a baby except your babies mom aka wife / whatever.
Now as a guy I dont think that I will ever understand that, but believe its real and you best to pretend to be sympathetic and remember:
"WOMEN DO NOT WANT SOLUTIONS TO A PROBLEM..THEY WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT , SO SHUTUP AND LISTEN. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE TRY AND OFFER A SOLUTION."

Council Tax: Thats what we call a property tax here. Except you have to have some type of ownership going on. Like your car or house. They don't tax you for renting. By Jove if they tried that here in the Colonies we'd revolt!

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
you have to give up alot, but jus think, now you can determine which team your baby supports, and this is a once in a lifetime decision, and it must be made wisely *cough* hammers *cough*

members online