What Do You Guys Think About This?

B

BeatOff

This is from another site its a big argument about working In the studio Vs Working at home and bringing the tracks once they are finished. One guy uses software and they are saying you cannot make it if you dont use hardware because you need to go into the studio and make beats on demand. The times i've been in a major studio the producer just came in with the completed beat and the engineer mixed it right there then recorded vocals over it.

ETHANMAGNETIC
wannabe star
Reged: 09/25/03
8 Re: any producers out there? [Re: Dr. Truth]
#619815 - 09/26/03 05:02 PM Edit Reply Quote

See now thats how come i can tell you never even been in a real big time situation DR. There are many producers who work with the (Real Artist with the record deal) in the major studio creating the song right on the spot and finishing and mixing the song all in the major studio...while the Record Company pays for it. When i was in the studio with Timbaland he was not in his home studio...He was in this studio called (Record One) in Cali just sampling sounds from dvd's and creating new beats right in my face..working with Bubba Sparks and some new girl group on Elektra...Never once giving a cd to the engineer. He just simply had the engineer dude connect his Mpc and then he tracked the sounds right from there...Also he had some other writer chic writing the song on the spot in the studio. Listen the (Real) industry doesnt wait for you to do your songs at home. That shit moves very fast and it thrives on (On the spot) Writers write on the spot..and many times producers (well professional hit producers) are often in the studio on the spot making up beats and working right in the real studio with the artist. Niggas aint got time to go home and get cd's (they creating that shit there, tracking it there and getting the fucking song done ...because 9 times out of 10 the A&R needs that song by tomorrow.So they expect that shit pronto. You talking like a real amatuer right now. Only amatuer producers trying to sit in the major studio afraid of paying the fee's because he/she is only being paid 500 dolars to do the song... do shit the way you talking bout. And when you really getting paid a lot of loot for the track...the company 9 times out of 10 is also paying for your studio time..but if not you still dont mind paying the little $3,000..well maybe you would but to timbaland that shit is pocket money.

The way you talking about is done as well (BUT) you still never answered the very important question (What if the Record Company wants you to do another song) and they need it as soon as possible...Nigga you aint got time to go home and work with the artist (The Artist is there) in the major studio...them A&R's expect you to get ya shit together , have your equipment ready and create a whole new track..In the major studio as they stand around in front of every body , while vibing with the artist right there in their face. Fuck going to your home studio.

You home studio is supposed to be used when you are just trying to get whole songs done (With no pressure) to play to A&R cats and then hopefully get them open ..and then yes you would bring ya shit there on a CD-RW or a Glyph Hard drive...But if you that type of cat that dont like to be prepared then you will not be ready when the head of the company comes down and wants you to do 3 more tracks (Not on your already prepared Cd) Naw they might want Whole new ones..I Guess you will just look at em stupidly and say (Give me some more time i have to go home and get it on a cd for you) Now thats just Amatuer

Oh and about the DJ Quick Single..It wasnt that one it was some other shit...i have no clue what since i aint really feeling that bitch too much...But im glad you searched on google for that info. Bottom line is this ..Niggas that are being payed a lot of money to make New tracks in the studio dont mind spending time vibing with the artist there...But some amatuers might find that intimidating (Like yaself)

Face it..you aint really knowin how its done.. And about that other shit about about homegirl...She still spoke truthfully about the Biz. Now if she faking..then she doing a good job.
(Thats all ima say on this subject) Now ya'll just beating a dead horse because ya'll salty.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
damn that guy has some issues. The industry is too diverse to place everything into one context, and albums are never made the same way twice. As for doin it on the spot like that, yah you better be ready.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
ive also heard that timbo makes alot of his shit right on the spot..i heard he made that roll out beat for ludacris in like 10 minutes....u also gotta remenber that timbo cant play a fucin note on a keyboard, its not like he's doin evrything himself.....but as far as Every beat getting made on the spot..yeah right i dnt buy that bullshit...if im rymin i prefer to right my lyrics on the spot though

jclay12345

JClay
ill o.g.
It's possible to make a lot of beats on the spot. I've been practicing doing that and I have been successful. But wait, Timbaland can't play the keyboard? What does he do?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
This thread seems to have turned into a private message issue but I want to speak on the original topic. Doing ish on the spot is cool and it shows just how diverse a producer can and should be HOWEVER, if you had the option of any producer you choose making a beat for YOU on the spot or actually going home and taking some time to make you some dope ish, which would you choose? I would definately go for the second. To me the whole idea is making a beat that is tight and damn near perfect which I just don't think can be done on the spot UNLESS you have worked on it at home or some other time while in the studio. How many beats do us producers here have in the back of our minds? Beats that we have just played with at some point in time at home or where ever? I read an article on Snoop Doggs producer and he goes to several diffent studio's to make Snoops beats. He went to his own home studio, and he went to 3 of Snoops home studios, then he went to the BIG studio to do the mastering which included tweaking here and there. So my point is this, yeah it CAN be done on the spot but for the best results, you need more than 10 minutes to put together a true killer beat! Either way, it would definately depend on the situation.

holla,--dac

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I think it used to be like this, I know a few established cats that do move around from their home studio and they generally have a roland VS multi...and an mpc at least, that's probably what they are referring to...is like the in house producers that are already signed to some kind of contract.....now you will find debate on this coming mainly from the producers that got lots of money to throw at any piece of hardware so they don't think much about just using software that would be shortchanging themselves, even though you can just about match what you can do nowadays with software.....and plus from what I understand the scenario looks like for a come into the studio everyday type of producer they are in situations where they have to make tracks on the fly, say you got Ja or DMX in the studio and then in the middle the track they want to use they go .....aw fuggg man I aint feeling that track now for some reason....I need a different beat can you do one like the beat I had on album X or that was on this soundtrack thatz the situations they are talking about your not going to say ok man look let me go home and mess around with it like about a week or so like I do in the illmuzik beat this competitions, I can flip it in Fruity in about a few tries...LOL....what do you think is going to happen?????

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
1st, I would go to the studio with several banks of music...not just 10-12 or however many that usually make 1 album...if it were Ja I'd tell him to bite me and walk out cause I don't really like him...lol. If it were my man DMX, I'd have enough beats with me to either satisfy his need or if he still didn't feel anything that I played for him then I would just say "yo, you're not feeling my beats" and pack up my ish while offering to do some more beats at home so we can get together on another day. I'm kinda thinking that I wouldn't be in the studio with him if he wasn't digging my style. It all boils down to a matter of opinion on this type of thread. There are a million "well what if" scenario's so I don't think that any answer that can be given would be correct. So I'll stick with what I said originally..." I think it's better to take your time creating that monster beat rather than doing a rush job" and thats how I would do business with any artist, professional or not. Don't get me wrong, I also said " doing ish on the spot shows how diverse a producer can and should be, so it really would depend on the situation."

6 in one hand, 1/2 a dozen in the other...nahmean?

peace,--dac

E

Equality 7-2521

it seems to me like it is essential to be able to throw beats together on the spot in a studio when its needed. i also think that on-the-spot-beats are always going to be far from your best work. so i suppose that it depends what the task is. if you have an MC and he needs beats for a release quickly, then youd better be able make something quick smart. if you want to make a dope instrumental album or give an MC a dope beat i think its much better to go to the place where you are most comfortable and just block everything out and work on beats for as long as it takes

an on-the-spot beat to me is equivelant to a freestyle rhyme. takes skill but will never be as good as something which had work put into it.