What mixers do you guys use?And do XLR connections or 1/4 inputs up sound quality?

• beat this! voting starts in...

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I have a Vestax 05 Pro that I don't really like. Yesterday my friend bought a Pioneer djm 707 and that mixer feels like a pimped out tank. It also has XLR outputs to use to send into my MPC so I was thinking bout buying one and selling my Vestax.

Do you guys notice the sound quality difference based on the mixer you use to route your sounds through?

E

Equality 7-2521

xlr is a balanced system. so it will reject noise (provided your cable, connectors & jacks are all balanced) better than the traditional rca connectors found on most dj mixers. this wont be very noticable if your cable run is under 3m though. im not farmiliar with the vestax 05 but if it has trs sockets, theres no point getting a new mixer for its xlr sockets because trs are balanced also.

another thing is that some mixers will have a lower noise floor which is better for obvious reasons.

why dony you do an a/b test with your friend mixer and your mixer and tell us of the results.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for higher quality sound sampling the biggest factor will be the preamp section of your mixer. This is highly variable and is most to do with the transformer used to match impedance to your cartridge. As i am not one to sample vinyl often at all this isn't of particular importance to me but.....

an over the top way of increasing sound quality when sampling

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/

a non-matching transformer will affect tone

(remember with noise floor (s/n ration spec) the weakest link in your chain will set the quality. From my knowledge any changes in thd and freq response will be culmative {pls. correct me if i'm wrong})