What role does melody play in 2020???

(Instrumental melodies, not vocal melodies)
A lot of people say that melody is dead, but I disagree…. I think what we emphasize in melody has just evolved... I feel like the timbre/design of the sound playing the melody makes a bigger impact on how a melody is perceived than the actual sequence of pitch and rhythm that makes up the melody. What do you guys think??? How important is the sequence of notes in a melody compared to the quality of sound used?
It also seems like melodies are used less as the focal point of songs, but used as less emphasized elements that add character to a song, especially in hip hop. Once the drums and bass come in, it’s sometimes hard to even hear the melodic elements of the instrumental.
I guess what I’m asking is what power does melody, regardless of timbre, play in music today (In your opinion)??
I'm asking, because I’m trying to gauge how much time I should put into understanding how to create melodies based on scales, chords etc… If it only has minimal importance I’d obviously rather spend my time on more important things.

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
I think rhythm is more emphasized than melody in hip hop...but learning music theory it's not all about melody, there is also harmony...I don't think you are waisting your time with this...but it can be boring if you are focused on just that.

The way I do things to educate myself is this:
I divide my focus in to different categories:
1.music theory/piano practice
2.sound design
3.composing/making 4 or 8 bar loop
4.arranging
5.mixing and mastering
6.listening to other peoples music
Now I think that each of these element are equally important and they should be equally developed.

I think rhythm is more emphasized than melody in hip hop...but learning music theory it's not all about melody, there is also harmony...I don't think you are waisting your time with this...but it can be boring if you are focused on just that.

The way I do things to educate myself is this:
I divide my focus in to different categories:
1.music theory/piano practice
2.sound design
3.composing/making 4 or 8 bar loop
4.arranging
5.mixing and mastering
6.listening to other peoples music
Now I think that each of these element are equally important and they should be equally developed.
Awesome advice! Thanks!

members online