What Type(s) Of Microphone(s)

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Do you own and/or use and in what capacity e.g. tracking vocals, instruments, etc.? Asking as I'm researching large diaphragm condenser mics for recording rap (and occasional sung) solo female vocals and my budget is under and not past $1000.

For those who heard my voice in Showcase - July 13-29, 2020 (and this won't be my last track) drop some mic choices.

My interface is a Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen bought back in 2018 that I have yet to take out the box!

Last edited:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Ok I listened to your voice on that track, nice. Lets talk about getting you on a Drunk Pedestrians track, DM if you like.

I have used so many mics over the years, for your voice I would actually grab a dynamic mic first. I would start with a MD421 (one of my all time fav mics) Then a sure SM7B (NOTE I DO NOT MEAN THE SM57) Michael Jackson used this on his voice for thriller so pretty solid mic. Also the RE20. Those would be the first three I would try on your specific voice. Dynamic mics just get forgotten about for some reason but man they are perfect for rapping.

That being said for 1k or less you can get the slate digital modeling system https://slatedigital.com/choose-a-vms-product/ thats what I would go with and it is on my buy list. Talk about giving you a ton of options. What do you have for audio interface and pre amp?

Ok I listened to your voice on that track, nice. Lets talk about getting you on a Drunk Pedestrians track, DM if you like.

I have used so many mics over the years, for your voice I would actually grab a dynamic mic first. I would start with a MD421 (one of my all time fav mics) Then a sure SM7B (NOTE I DO NOT MEAN THE SM57) Michael Jackson used this on his voice for thriller so pretty solid mic. Also the RE20. Those would be the first three I would try on your specific voice. Dynamic mics just get forgotten about for some reason but man they are perfect for rapping.

That being said for 1k or less you can get the slate digital modeling system https://slatedigital.com/choose-a-vms-product/ thats what I would go with and it is on my buy list. Talk about giving you a ton of options. What do you have for audio interface and pre amp?
the sm7b was my recommendation for the next mic for the studio

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yea I missed that at first, looks like a lot of sm7 recommendations there as well. Hard to go wrong with that one. The other reality is this, I used to spend months getting opinions and trying to find just the perfect gear. Agonizing between two different things. Then I worked at Sweetwater and could use anything I could ever dream of and I realized I would have liked anything I had picked. It’s far better to just make a damn decision and get back to work recording and writing. Gear is just a tool and that’s it, no more no less. That’s one reason I don’t go on gearslurz to often as the music comes first, gear a DISTANT second. A lot of guys over there can forget that. Even though there is a lot of good info on gearslutz.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
+1 on the SM7B. Especially if you're working in a room with no or little accoustic treatment...

With the extra money, you may want to consider all the accessories (antipop filter, mic stand, cable, reflexion filter).
The quality of these accessories will improve the overall sound way more than the mic itself.
Expensive mics often get sensitive and you start catching noises from everywhere if you haven't spent the money on accessories and room treatment first.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Thanks @YannFer but I'm in a not so ideal scenario where room treatment is a no-go as I don't live alone. I decided on the Rode NT-1 and a K&M 21075 stand.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Thanks @YannFer but I'm in a not so ideal scenario where room treatment is a no-go as I don't live alone. I decided on the Rode NT-1 and a K&M 21075 stand.
I understand, I also cannot properly treat my room(s)... That's why I went for a reflexion filter (Aston Halo Shadow) which helps a lot.
About the mic, I haven't used the NT-1, but from what I heard, it's a solid choice.

members online