Whats up ILLMUZIK?

gt90

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 84
My setup is very simple, just using a M-Audio Keystation 49es as my MIDI input, I don't have an audio interface although I know I should get one but I'm ok with the 10ms lag I get from the ASIO4ALLv2 drivers I use, I have a decent pair of monitor headphones, Audio Technica M50's and I used Reason as my main DAW for many years but recently switched to FL Studio however I feel relatively comfortable making beats on both DAW's now. I also have some generic speakers, haven't upgraded to monitor ones yet.
Also forgot to mention in my intro I love love love sampling, not related to my setup but it's related to the style of the music I like to make.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's a decent setup. A long time ago I used a basic Soundblaster soundcard and even before that just the soundcard on my motherboard, so don't worry about an interface just yet. You could always grab one used too. Pawn shops are a good place to start.

And you're right - sampling is great.

CMac7

Welcome! I too just joined. Do you find any reason to still use Reason haha? I started on Reason for a couple years as well but switch Logic and have never really gone back or opened Reason that much. It was a great introduction, but i've found so many more possibilities in other daws

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Welcome @gt90 and what kind of music do you make?

gt90

Beatmaker
Welcome! I too just joined. Do you find any reason to still use Reason haha? I started on Reason for a couple years as well but switch Logic and have never really gone back or opened Reason that much. It was a great introduction, but i've found so many more possibilities in other daws

Hey, I've only been using FL studio for about 3 weeks now and I haven't used Reason to make any tracks since then but I do occasionally open old tracks I made with Reason and play around with them.
Overall, I don't do anything extra crazy on FL studio that I didn't do on Reason, I just really like SliceX hence the switch to FL studio for me.

Welcome @gt90 and what kind of music do you make?

Hey, I really enjoy making hip hop, almost always sampled hip hop, I write songs from scratch too but they're very basic 4-bar/8-bar chord loops as a melody and some bass so I haven't released any of these songs anywhere as I don't feel they're of a good enough standard yet.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@gt90 if it interests you you may want to learn theory/composition as sampling is a legal pain in the ass.

gt90

Beatmaker
@gt90 if it interests you you may want to learn theory/composition as sampling is a legal pain in the ass.

Hey, yeah I'm interested in learning music theory and composition. My aim is to eventually make around 80% of my beats be composed without samples and the other 20% be sampled, I don't think I'll ever be able to get away from sampling, I love it too much.

members online