Where are all the Mpcs????

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
No seriously. On every studio guide im looking there arent any mpcs or something similar does anyone has any idea why most producers i see dont use them???? I mean beats that are made with samples are some of the best! Why not to use an awsome device like this???

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Definitely the MPC was a cornerstone when it comes to any kind of Hip Hop beat, but times have changed and now it's about software like @thedreampolice mentioned. MPC Renaissance and Maschine are at the top. I haven't messed with the Renaissance but I don't see why anyone would want to stick with the old MPC instead. Software based has a much better workflow.

Last edited:

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I'm a Maschine user but if the MPC workflow was as quick as Maschine's I'd go back to an HDR (I used to have an Akai DPS12i way back when) and an MPC in a second.

I spend far too much time computing rather than beatmaking. But the workflow on Maschine is just so damn quick I still think I get more done on Maschine than I would an MPC.

That said... I'm constantly watching eBay (UK) for a Roland MV8800 and loading shit up on them is hella sluggish!

Last edited by a moderator:

OriginalNoGuru

Maschine with a built in audio interface and internal hardDrive running its own OS is what I want... Able to run the software without a laptop, ability to plug turntable directly to it. Headphone port so I can flip a sample on the sofa when the baby's sleeping and can't get in the attic!

Duffy

Wordslinger, Beat Bringer
Battle Points: 1
I've got an mpc 2500 with a dvd drive, and a 40 gb hard drive running jjos. I feel like it's the best thing you can get to produce beats and music without a computer. I just can't put my trust in my shitty laptop when I'm doing a show or live stuff. I'm probably going to get a macbook and a maschine at some point, though. The workflow is just sooooooo much smoother.

Maschine with a built in audio interface and internal hardDrive running its own OS is what I want... Able to run the software without a laptop, ability to plug turntable directly to it. Headphone port so I can flip a sample on the sofa when the baby's sleeping and can't get in the attic!
For real though, man. If native instruments could pull off a stand alone maschine, that would be a genuine mpc killer. I'd sell my shit and just upgrade.

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
Any version of the Maschine is where it's at. The workflow is perfect for hiphop beatmaking. In my opinion, a Mac, Maschine, and some good drum samples/loops and melodic kits or samples is all you need to produce some dope stuff. The MPC was the cornerstone and still is a very capable tool. Check out @dubsbanger - he still uses the MPC and has some awesome beatmaking videos.

I've got an mpc 2500 with a dvd drive, and a 40 gb hard drive running jjos. I feel like it's the best thing you can get to produce beats and music without a computer. I just can't put my trust in my shitty laptop when I'm doing a show or live stuff. I'm probably going to get a macbook and a maschine at some point, though. The workflow is just sooooooo much smoother.

For real though, man. If native instruments could pull off a stand alone maschine, that would be a genuine mpc killer. I'd sell my shit and just upgrade.

@Duffy I think the Maschine Studio can act as a standalone unit.

OriginalNoGuru

Maschine 'Standalone' mode just means outside of being run as a VST in your DAW...

Maschine is software. It needs a CPU to run... The hardware is just a dedicated MIDI controller for the software.

Messy Beatz

Battle Points: 11
I started with an MPC 1000 years ago (the one after the one with the dodgy pads) i loved it AND hated it at the same time. Making beats on it was amazing but getting those beats into logic for the mix / lay vocals etc was just too damn time consuming... with that said i sold it on eBay.

I held onto the money for a while and was so close to getting a machine but pulled out of the sale last minute (pull out game strong son! :D)

I sat on the cash for a while waiting for the MPC Ren and Studio to come up to speed as there was a lot missing when it first dropped.

I finally got the MPC Studio over a year ago and it feels great to have an MPC back in the studio... i didn't have to spend too mach time learning new things as 80% of it was just like how i was used to it on the 1000.

So thats me now... MPC Studio > Logic Pro X = my powerhouse setup.

EDIT:

I would like to add... it doesn't matter what you use to make music just make sure you become a master of your equipment, i know dudes that have everything (money not an issue to them) and don't know how to use most of the stuff sitting in their studio but then you get regular dude down the road who has just a laptop and midi controller and know his shit inside out which allows him to make bangers.

Become a master!

OriginalNoGuru

I'd love to see a video on the MPC Studio's workflow if you ever get chance...

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
I work on both MPC25k and Maschine. I also do stuff on the MPCren. I think it is very clear that Maschine is great, maybe also the best option for many. But for me its not always about how fast i can do stuff. The feel when making music is for me very important. Thats why i love my 25K. Sampling or "not". Everytime i do something with it, i get this own "style"/"feel" that i do not get with the Ren/Maschine. Feel is impossible to explain so i won't start, but it is for me different hitting thin plastic pads(maschine), than the fat MPC`s.

I just did a making of video where everything is going into my MPC25k. If your interested:

Messy Beatz

Battle Points: 11
I'd love to see a video on the MPC Studio's workflow if you ever get chance...

If i ever get round to doing one i'll be sure to let you know. There is plenty of vids out on YouTube at the mo that show the workflow in the latest MPC Ren / Studio software update.

You could start here:

and then check out every other vid that has "MPC Software v1.8" in the title so see the latest workflow.