which workstation/drum machine???

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i rememebr i started a thread here recently on the shit i wanted to get...but over time i realized that for a mutehrfucker who could abrely put out beats on acid pro, i was perhaps going to waste my money on shit i didnt really need.....so all that expensive shit like the mpc 1000 (yes to us po folks, its still fucking expensive...the price of a fucking used car) is out of the equation for now....i was even looking at a DAW, but i dont really want that now

my friends dad recommended that i start with something basic, so i was thinking of getting the sp 505....has anyone on here used this product and can perhaps give me all the pros and cons.......recommendations for other worstations/drum machine along this range is greatly appreciated.....im looking for one that has good sample editing features

whatever shit i get, im also gonna get a portable synth/midi controller...maybe like that microkorg

thank you for helping this newbie

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ive been checking out that roland sp 808 too and its mad cheap on ebay, should i cop that as well? rofl @ everyone dissing rolands customer support

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i have consdiered a software setup but i need something that is portable....i wish someone would fucking turn acid pro into a hardware unit, lol

man...i would really like some input on the Ensoniq asr-x pro and Yamaha SU700 and the Akai S2000.....i cant decide between taht ensoniq and yamaha...some of y'all gotta gimme a recommendation for a tie-breaker

ill o.g.
TachyonFresh said:
i have consdiered a software setup but i need something that is portable....i wish someone would fucking turn acid pro into a hardware unit, lol

man...i would really like some input on the Ensoniq asr-x pro and Yamaha SU700 and the Akai S2000.....i cant decide between taht ensoniq and yamaha...some of y'all gotta gimme a recommendation for a tie-breaker

SU700 INFO:
http://www.vintagesynth.org/yamaha/su700.shtml

Mercury Waters uses an ASR X i think.

What do you wanna know about the S2000?

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what i would like to know is, can u add effects to ur samples on the s2000 and is teh sample editing pretty good? and can i use it along with either the su700 or the asr-x pro?

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Electronic Music Magazine just printed an article about this. I have yet to read it though. If I see something worth passing on, I'll drop it in here....

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo TachyonFresh if u want any info on the sp505 im the cat to ask, cos ive been rockin it since 2002, has its faults but its a sampler that has the basic tools needed to make decent beats with.

to get an idea of how it sounds peep my site, www.offpegbeats.net bare in mind my more recent stuff more polished in general,( esp. in terms of clarity and drum programing, mix)

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
The article is about comparing affordable drum synths to workstation drum machines. They review about 13 of them. I am still finishing the article.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
yeah. i have an asr-x pro. i love it. it has deep editing functions, effects, great filters and a simple sequencer. if you plan on doing live performances, then i would stay away from it. the sequencer can skip if you're editing samples at the same time as playback. you can check out my site on the songs/beats page for some samples of what it can do. www.mercurywaters.com

oh yeah!. plus if you have a scsi card on your computer you can transfer your samples to the computer and edit them there and send them back to the asr. basically the asr is pretty comparable to what the mpc series can do. the time stretching on it is slow as fuck though.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'd love two rock an asr for the fx and filters but i aint got time to fuck with a floppy disk for storing samples (or perhaps u use scsi?) and i aint wanna mess with that two line screen when chopping samples.

ensoniq or emu need to update that machine, but the closest thing to that for me right now is the korg esx-1 but the screen aitn quite right.

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hahaha, i jsut seen mercurywaters picture....dawg were u high that shit was taken?

yo..whoever mentioned the esx-1...i did a little reaserch on it at www.harmony-central.com, and damn, it seems like an ill system...definitely better than su700 or asr-x pro, but a little more expensive

i jsut readt this about the esx-1 : "Phrase samples can also be “Sliced,” or divided up at the rhythmic peaks of the sample. Once sliced, individual samples can be muted to generate new grooves. "

can someone explain wtf phrase samples are? ive heard this time before but dont know what they are

and can someone tell me what they mean by "the rhythmic peaks"?

members online