Why do you believe in religion?

T

The Arkitekt

To mods: Yes, I know the rules are there is no race or religion discussion allowed, but in my point of view we are not children and I do think we can have a civilized conversation about it. If any of you still feel you should close the thread then by all means go ahead and my bad for posting this. If this thread stays open... then anybody, please don't get into no B.S. rants ( "YO ARK, SATAN WILL TAKE YOUR SOUL AND BURN YOU" ..... "I LOVE JESUS FUCK YOU" ) and just keep it civil. If you can't do that then please don't post here.

If you do believe in religion... why? Is it just because you grew up around it? For the people that believe in god, do you actually do religious activity or do you don't do anything religiously and subconsciously refuse to not believe in god just because the fear that's already burned into your mind of the bad things that happen if you don't have the faith. Do you really think there is someone living in the "heavens" or sky's that is all knowing, and some red dude living underground? Can anyone really say they got an answer back from god after praying? (if your response is "he didn't talk to me but certain events/etc happened that gave me an answer happened" or something like that, does it happen all the time, or just happened once or twice?) There are different cultures with different religions that have different ideas of a supreme being(s), if you don't believe in those "god(s)" (in others religions), you will get punished in the afterlife or during life... so wouldn't everyone go to hell in that case since you only believe in your god and not someone else's god?

Some people look down on me sometimes simply because i'm an atheist... which I think is very ignorant. I do not look down upon people if they have a religion,,, from my p.o.v., it's not there fault they are brainwashed like this.

gimmie your input... why do you believe in something like this?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I guarantee this thread will go nowhere dude. Most cats on ill are either offended or afraid to touch this subject, aside from the obvious rule against religious dialog here on illmuzik...

Were basically the minority in the world homie. Most people are religious in some nature so asking this question is typically like talking to yourself with no one else around.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I can already see this thread getting out of hand.lol.

I guess without anyone bashing the others beliefs this question could actually be an interesting subject. So here goes.

For me, I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that he was the son of God, and that he was God in the flesh. I believe that he was sent as a sacrifice for our sins and through him and only him, we are forgiven for our sins. I also believe in the Holy Spirit. I believe God gave us this as a gift to help guide us after Jesus. Along with that I do believe in Hell.

I see and get heat whenever I let people know my faith because of the stereotype of a Christian. That is why I don't like saying I'm a Christian right away because people get this funny image in their head of what a "Christian" is.

I wasn't raised in church at all, but my Mom always told me who Jesus was and so I always kinda knew. When I started to read and study the /history/culture/life of the bible times, that is when I came to my decision that there is no denying it. I found everything that they said to be true and it just felt right.

I have never heard God speak to me directly [though my father in law says that he actually hears him talking to him and that God literally told him to do things} God has only answered my prayer through actions and other people. There have been many times that God has answered me in prayer, but it has always been through actions and people.
One time was when I needed rent money. I was short exactly $100 dollars and I was stressing about it(at this time I was praying alot, and really into ministry) Just when I was going to call one of my friends to ask to borrow some cash, I was looking through my wallet for a phone number for my wife, and tucked behind my divers license was a folded 100 dollar bill. I thought my wife borrowed it and put it there as a joke, but she said she didn't, and I was trippin.
Another time wasn't a prayer as much as it was me being sarcastic towards God. I had never been baptized and it seemed like whenever there was a time to do it something happened. I was talking about it with my wife and she was saying not to worry that it will happen "in God's time" I was like "You need to hurry up God." sort of joking but serious. Well that night we were invited to a church and we decided to go last minute... they had a special service that night and called out anyone that wanted to get baptized in there clothes in front of everyone. I felt like it was God calling me out directly.

Those were just small things. I've seen miracles happen to people that I know that there is no other explanation than God.

I honestly have fallen back within the past 3 or so years, but am slowly trying to regain the faith I once had. I never stopped believing, but I just haven't given God the time/attention he deserves and have putting my self first.

this is getting to long, but I hope I answered your question. Why are you an atheist if I might ask? What led you to believe that there isn't a God? Was it the actions of other people who are religious, or was it the way you were raised?

T

The Arkitekt

this is getting to long, but I hope I answered your question. Why are you an atheist if I might ask? What led you to believe that there isn't a God? Was it the actions of other people who are religious, or was it the way you were raised?

I was actually raised religiously in my very early years (from when I was born till around the age of 7 when my parents split, I went with my mom). My dad's side of the family was very religious (they're fuckin Greek lol) and my mom was not so religious although I do recall her having small faith in god which slowly faded away and I think it was me that actually enlightened her into not believing in god, but thats a different story, ill get back on topic. So growing up I had the idea of religion burned into my head from church, family, etc. I was on and off searching for the truth in my early-mid teen years and absorbing some of it through movies, internet, etc. When I was 17, about a year ago, i'm driving around with this girl and we are just smoking and whatever and the topic of religion comes up some how and I said I believe in god but im not really religious. So she goes, "So your one of those just in case people?", after a few seconds of thinking about it I just said "I guess you can say that". Later on that night I really thought about it and came to the conclusion that I really was a "just in case" person (meaning I don't do anything religious but I believe in god just in case I go to hell or something).

So the next 3 days or so it was on my mind a lot, then I just had a moment of clarity. Just seemed so obvious to me that there is no god.*

*There's people living in cardboard boxes, war, the thing I said in the first post about how religion just contradicts itself from being multiple religions with different gods (Vice, i'd really like to hear your views on that), thought about how stupid I was to believe someone lives in the sky, ok I could go on for line after line about this shit.*

This moment of clarity that made me an atheist helped me out a lot in life. Before that I was some lazy ass weed smoking alcohol drinking school cutting dude that wasn't going anywhere. I really think because in the back of my mind I thought god would help me out eventually. So in turn I automatically changed my mentality and it was that absolutely nothing will help me in life and everything I do will be a result as myself. I have to succeed on my own. Since then I smoke like only once a month now, I'm going to college, working out, etc.

that went way off but the main point of that paragraph is just god or what ever you believe in won't do shit and you have to do it on your own. You might see that whole thing as maybe a miracle from god. However I don't, I just think of that as just a good decision with proper action taken. I not believe in miracles, I call it a coincidence (they do happen, just not often, so because that, it might seem divine or whatever). I do not believe in luck, I believe in talent and proper action, and again... coincidences. I am not superstitious either. All that I just explained in this paragraph just seems more logical to me than miracles, luck, things like that.

My faith is in science, not magic. Science and religion are the complete opposite and do not mix in any means. Math and science is always right (not talking science theory's or whatever, talking about things that are proven), so i'll go with something that works and not waste my time with a fairytale mentality.

That's just the story behind my believe (non believe rather haha) and my views for your question Vice. So much more I can go on about but iv'e typed enough for someone to not wanna read it lol. If I offended anyone then my bad. And sorry if the post goes off, I didn't look over it.

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm an aetheist. Got one question though; how do religions explain the geographic ties of a religion?

The religion people choose to follow is usually determined by what religion their parents follow, ie where they're from; if you're chinese ou'll most likely be raised buddhist, north african then islam, Ireland then catholic etc

Surely this kinda shoots down the idea that your religion is chosen by 'divine intervention' and is more a local cultural thing.

And since all the major organized religions have some pretty fundamental disagreements, how do explain why the 'god' you're following is the one true god and not just the result of your background?

Why am I atheist? Various reasons, upbringing, having enough free will to realise there are some seriously fucked up flaws in organised religion (I'm more than capable of living my life in a moral way without needing a code to follow), realising those things that others take as being a miracle/act of god are merely coincidences that are more than possible in a universe that has infinite possibilities; coincidences do happen.
And I've found most religious people I've known have been the most intolerant and incapable of reasoned argument without resorting to some religous rhetoric.
No disrespect intended.

T

The Arkitekt

On point savage g. That falls into what I was talking about before with the religions going against itself. Just doesnt work.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
We can post religious threads as long as everyone stays level headed and doesn't bash others beliefs. We have had religious threads before where cats were arguing and that caused the threads to chill wit the god talk.

Personally, I don't have a religion and was brought up Roman Catholic. I think Jesus and the rest of the "messiahs" who were born from virgin mothers were more then likely made up. I think the scriptures of all holy books are nothing more then science fiction. I think that there is no divine god who cares or loves you. Honestly, I see religion as a form of control. Don't get me wrong, I have faith,,,just not in anything "man-made". My faith is in "man" itself. We can be so much more then what we are now, but instead of believing in ourselves, we are too busy following man made laws/commandments/amendments,,etc, Feel me?

I'm an aetheist. Got one question though; how do religions explain the geographic ties of a religion?

The religion people choose to follow is usually determined by what religion their parents follow, ie where they're from; if you're chinese ou'll most likely be raised buddhist, north african then islam, Ireland then catholic etc

Surely this kinda shoots down the idea that your religion is chosen by 'divine intervention' and is more a local cultural thing.

And since all the major organized religions have some pretty fundamental disagreements, how do explain why the 'god' you're following is the one true god and not just the result of your background?

Why am I atheist? Various reasons, upbringing, having enough free will to realise there are some seriously fucked up flaws in organised religion (I'm more than capable of living my life in a moral way without needing a code to follow), realising those things that others take as being a miracle/act of god are merely coincidences that are more than possible in a universe that has infinite possibilities; coincidences do happen.
And I've found most religious people I've known have been the most intolerant and incapable of reasoned argument without resorting to some religous rhetoric.
No disrespect intended.

I feel u 110%

T

The Arkitekt

My faith is in "man" itself. We can be so much more then what we are now, but instead of believing in ourselves, we are too busy following man made laws/commandments/amendments,,etc, Feel me?

worddddd

For me, that's one big thing about atheism... the ability to think for yourself and pave your own road instead of falling into "the matrix".

and wow, even though its just a few so far, didn't expect to see this many "enlightened people" on the forum comin out of nowhere haha

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i think people who believe do so because their parents did. its rarely someone turns to god without being braught up with faith.

My faith is in "man" itself. We can be so much more then what we are now, but instead of believing in ourselves, we are too busy following man made laws/commandments/amendments,,etc, Feel me?

not so sure about that anymore. the readiness to fight is in us, a heritage of evolution.
how come so many million had to die in the name of god, while the essence of any religion is so positive?

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
My Grandma is a 7th Day Adventist, my Dad a Baptist, my Mom a Catholic, my Aunt a Muslim, my best friend is a Yogi, one of my Brothers was a Atheist, and the other was a Mormon.

I believe in a higher power... i just don't know exactly what it is.

So i just call it GOD.

My problem with religion is I do not trust man because man can be corrupt. But... most of what I hear from the bible from a Christian stand point is all positive and I agree with about 80% of it. But I cannot ignore certain facts like how religion is passed down and how it is interpretated. Most religions are always adapting and changing their rules. Certains part of the bible have been left out, etc.

I just operate under the idea that something GREAT enough to create our existence, called GOD, can understand why I am skeptical of the "record keepers" and as long as I shoot as straight as possible and try to help people while I live and breathe, I should be good to go when I die. Most religious people, no matter what the religion, will tell me that isn't good enough. I say, that is the dice I am rolling.

I can't be an Atheist because I think life is too amazing to not recognize something is behind all of this... also known as Devine Design. Even Scientists say the same thing. For all the science there is, it comes down to the same question... what created all this to begin with and it is too precise to just be evolution.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I can't be an Atheist because I think life is too amazing to not recognize something is behind all of this... also known as Devine Design. Even Scientists say the same thing. For all the science there is, it comes down to the same question... what created all this to begin with and it is too precise to just be evolution.

I agree 100%.
I am on the same boat as you about the feelings of man being so corrupt, and not being able to trust in church's because of it.

to be honest, lately I been feeling like i'm just zoning out the world, and just living kinda empty. I didn't feel this way when I would pray and seek God, and study the bible. So I don't know If I feel comfortable enough to talk about my beliefs when I'm not even living my life the way I believe I should be. Meaning I'm not doing what he created me to do.

The crazy thing is Church, is the reason I started falling back in the first place. I seen alot of people who were two faced.
I never wanted to be like those people, so when I realized how evil actual religion can be, I went more with the relationship aspect towards God.

and to answer your question Ark, my feelings towards other religions and the many different Gods is that there have always been false idols and religions. Even Christianity has different denominations, and that use to bother me as well... people have free will to believe what they want, which is proven through this thread.lol. I have studied other religions, all of them seem to fall short at some point or another.
I came to realize, it's not about the religion or church, but about a relationship with God and people, to some it up in one word, it is Love.(I know it sounds corny.lol) It is the teaching of Jesus though, and something that is stronger than any science or magic.lol.

I would get more into it, but I'm not trying to preach or thread jack so I'll leave it at that.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
"YO ARK, SATAN WILL TAKE YOUR SOUL AND BURN YOU"

Yes, did someone ring
upsidedownpentagram2.gif

im agnostic and i can tell you why i believe in religion. Not that i practice it but there are hundreds of reasons why religion was invented and each one has a specific purpose. Imagine the world if there was noone to answer to. Some people lives are so fucked up that all they have is a hope that life will better when there dead. Some people have done such terrible things and need something to make them think they will be forgiving for these acts. More people have died in the name of religion than anything else combined. It is '09 and look at the total iq level of the world.

i'll give these up for now, i dont feel like sitting at this keyboard forever.
but it you all want to get deeper into the rabitt hole, we can start on freemasonary, and the christian crusades with the link with democracy.

eldia
FIREdevil.gif

divineaspex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I believe in Yashiyah our lord and savior, and Eheyeh the most high. I was never the most religious person, and I don't goto Church, but I believe.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
atheism seems so illogical, agnostic seems a bit more honest.

Atheism is the essentially the denial of absolutes. That is a hard one for me to wrap my head around.

Bingo. Atheism is like a religion for not having a religion...?? whats the point.

If GOD or Jesus Christ can make you a better person then good for you. For me I believe in logic of the mind and obvious.

Faith in Religion to me is a way to manipulate people into following a certain path that may not always be right. A portion of America voted for bush not on his political stand point, but on the fact that he praised Jesus Christ...and who's being investigated for torture???

To each his own just be blessed with each day you have cause god or no god. After life or not we all die one day and its the time spent doing good or making Earth a better place that really matters.

Read my quote from Albert Einstein

"My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
f[/IMG]

im agnostic and i can tell you why i believe in religion. Not that i practice it but there are hundreds of reasons why religion was invented and each one has a specific purpose. Imagine the world if there was no one to answer to. Some people lives are so fucked up that all they have is a hope that life will better when there dead. Some people have done such terrible things and need something to make them think they will be forgiving for these acts. More people have died in the name of religion than anything else combined. It is '09 and look at the total iq level of the world.

See, keyword, "Invented". By who? Humans. We are not divine, or at least not at this stage of evolution. I think this just shows some validity to my point how religion points to controlling of the masses.

"Be good, or you will burn in hell for eternity" Now that sounds really silly doesn't it?

When you step outside the "normal" way of thinking, and truly dissect the world and the way it has been working for the past centuries, we are still just cavemen too afraid to leave the cave.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Wisdom from the Stressful One. Couldn't agree more.

Too true, I believe the reason for so many different beliefs, (which do have a common thread running through them), is that they are human interpretations of the one truth, (whatever that is), filtered through their own personal and cultural filter. The reason they all claim to be right is lust for power from those running the show, (the pope will say you're gonna burn in hell so he can keep you under control. Used to work a treat in the middle ages and Al Qaeda are doing wonders with the same sort of approach, (You know you're doing well when dudes will kill themselves for you))

Not a big fan of "religion" but to completely close yourself off from the "infinite possibilities" in the Universe is pretty crippling IMO. Science, by it's nature, can only prove so-called objective truths. What about subjective truths? Do you love anyone? (family, partner, children, friends). Would you admit love exists? Can it be proven scientifically? No, absolutely not. Science can only observe how love manifests itself in peoples actions or reactions. Most of us know love is real because we have experienced it for ourselves. It's a subjective truth. Maybe there are other subjective truths that can be experienced that you shouldn't be closing yourself off from by insisting that science will provide all the answers. It can't.

Geez I talk some shit.

members online