Why Sample From Records

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This may seem like a kinda dumb question but why do so many of the professional producers in the game sample from records? Why not use wav files from cds? Is it just because good music is from way back before cds or what?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
First of all... The vinyl is the most raw form of the music u can have without it being performed live.

If u get the shit from the net, It was recorded by some dude wit a computer from vinyl, there for it is usually compressed and the quality is thus degraded (especially MP3s).

its pretty hard to understand till u just listen to some oldies off vinyl. I listened to Through the Fire by Chaka the other day and was almost tempted to try and sample it even tho Kanye did it.

Its just a different sound, its like the music's truest form

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
woah thanks for all the input but i cant afford any musical equipment, my rents wont let me buy it. thas why im wising up and opening a site and planning to use the money from ads on their to help me buy my stuff... this site is dope tho i like how nobodys shit talkin like how come u dont kno this or that - thanks

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This may seem like a kinda dumb question but why do so many of the professional producers in the game sample from records? Why not use wav files from cds? Is it just because good music is from way back before cds or what?

I don't know - they're probably stupid and old-fashioned :D

lol, have you ever listened to wax on a good system?

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
u get the rare stuff when u copp vinyl. The only problem is that u actually have to buy it most of the time. It can get expensive. I try not to spend no more than 20 bucks a month on vinyls.

I dig everywhere tho. The internet, thru CDs, and vinyl. Anywhere i can find a hot sample and its good quality.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
My main reason is cuz there are shitloads of stuff that didnt sell back in the 60s and 70s. You simply CANT find this stuff on cd, or on the net. If you got vinyl like that, aint nobody gonna be workin with the same samples u got, feel me? i got thousands of records, and i guarantee 50% of them you cant find anywhere unless u got it on vinyl.

And of course, the sound of vinyl is unmistakable.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
First of all... The vinyl is the most raw form of the music u can have without it being performed live.

i agree with this statement... why would u wanna get a file that mightve been converted many times, passin thru filters and such...

at the same time, i sample wtf ever is available to me... "mainstream public" doesnt care where it came from, only "we" do.

da relic

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
My main reason is cuz there are shitloads of stuff that didnt sell back in the 60s and 70s. You simply CANT find this stuff on cd, or on the net. If you got vinyl like that, aint nobody gonna be workin with the same samples u got, feel me? i got thousands of records, and i guarantee 50% of them you cant find anywhere unless u got it on vinyl.

And of course, the sound of vinyl is unmistakable.

thas tru and on vinyl the songs were recorded on a analogue system and alot of experts say the sounds quality is better..but i just like the crisp old sound to a record more than a cd cuz cd's our really clean and sometimes u want that grimey gritty sound

Sonorous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the sound you get from records sounds fuller to me and CD sound to clean i like my samples to be a little dirty

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
...If you got vinyl like that, aint nobody gonna be workin with the same samples u got, feel me? i got thousands of records, and i guarantee 50% of them you cant find anywhere unless u got it on vinyl.

That's the best argument for vinyls in my book. If you dig through CDs and mp3s only, the chances of somebody else using the same sample you are are big... I mean, if it's in mp3, most of the time, it's because it's popular and if it's popular... well chances are someone already thought of using the sample somewhere, somehow... specially if it's good!

But, I still use mp3s and CDs... and vinyls from time to time... I have the turntable and the vinyls, but I gotta upgrade my setup to ease the conversion of my loops in digital mode...

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Once you hear the difference between vinyl and CD, you'll understand. I've always been aware of a difference, and have heard the difference in the past, but nothing like when I went to sample a Sergio Mendes track from CD. I own the original recording on vinyl, but still sampled from a "greatest hits"-type CD via ripping the raw audio data on the CD. The track was ok, but then I pulled out the record and resampled it it came "alive". The vinyl sample had a warmth to it that the CD rip didn't. The added bonus of the occasional vinyl dirt pops and crackles made it even better.

When I have the original available, I sample from vinyl.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so the name of the game is diggin... got it.. i was checkin the styles of my 2 fav producers premo and rza and they both sample heavily in fact 99% of their beats are made by sampling. i sampled my first track to make a beat and it sounds much better than using reason factory preset sounds which sound not to hip hoppy. mayb one day i ll have enough money to buy a some LPs and a turntable.