Why the hell are these songs good???

This song right there was a whole lotta excitement to me, until I played it on the piano for the first time. You see, I have a 1 hour process to just learn any piece i like, then improvise it on the piano the way I like it. to learn this song, I needed 30 fucking seconds and i didn't even watch any tutorial or anything! it's obvious as fuck! 50% of my songs use the exact same progression and probably 60% use a similar one to this. the rythm is the typical latin piano rythm, u can hear this on any j.lo classic, the harmony is basic as a flying fuck and the texture is the most basic thing on a latin song. the singer is nothing special, its just camila. although the vocal melody is quite impressive, we ain't talkin about that, we're beatmakers.

OH MY FUCKING GOD this one is abhorrent. I'm fucking outraged. 3 fake synth piano notes, boom boom boom, boom bim boom, boom boom boom boom bim boom, the simplest fucking hi hat pattern and snare pattern, and NOTHING ELSE needed to cook this bag of fresh fucking Kush. For Kim kardashians asses sake...

Alright imma just stand quiet for this one...

the next one though is the OG of these type of beats

I can go on and fucking on with nagging about these songs, but one thing stays there.

Why?
Why are these so good?

That's the one secret, the essence they try to sell us on YouTube but they themselves don't know anything about it. the one thing that makes dre dre. Dre Never releases a bad beat or a song with bad vibes. Never. Why? He knows dope to the core, he knows the atoms in each molocule of it. That, I suppose, has been gained with experience, But if this skill could be written, even if the text doesn't fully explain it because not every detail can be explained through the english vocabulary, What would the nearest text to that piece of skill be?

P.s Don't you dare say "It's just experience/talent from his papa/...". 19 year old dre was better than all of us combined yet many of us have been making beats for decades.

Thank you for reading.

Edit : Dayyyyym this dre jam is too good. if one day I get succesful in any field, imma put my foot on the other foot, lay down and play this shit.

Last edited:

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I'd venture sayin' it's an innate ability to tell dope from crap. Successful producers or even DAs just know what works and what doesn't. More often than not, artists need this kind of person just to know the right direction. And pay them a lot of money, even though it seems they don't do much. Because this kind of people who have "the ears" are rare and precious.

With experience we can get closer to this decision making skill but we're never quite as sure. I watched an interview the other day of the DA and friend of French electro band "Phoenix" maybe you know of. One of the guys in the band doesn't know anything about the synths, the technique and all that. He arrives late to the band sessions and tell them "drop this, keep that, stop that here, start this there...".

I think Dre has a team of producers (like Focus) and he just bosses the whole thing telling what is dope, what's missing in the beat and all that... Maybe not in 1999.

If the alchemy works between the DA and the artist it makes for great music and consecutively long careers.
If the DA is asking the artist to do something that is not natural to him, it doesn't work on the long run... One hit wonders.

Generally speaking, making decisions as a group rather than individually tends to lead to better decisions taken.

I wish I had one of them... Maybe that's what I am looking for in this forum... Maybe it doesn't require a skillful set of ears to tell my beats suck. :blackeye:

Last edited:
I'd venture sayin' it's an innate ability to tell dope from crap. Successful producers or even DAs just know what works and what doesn't. More often than not, artists need this kind of person just to know the right direction. And pay them a lot of money, even though it seems they don't do much. Because this kind of people who have "the ears" are rare and precious.

With experience we can get closer to this decision making skill but we're never quite as sure. I watched an interview the other day of the DA and friend of French electro band "Phoenix" maybe you know of. One of the guys in the band doesn't know anything about the synths, the technique and all that. He arrives late to the band sessions and tell them "drop this, keep that, stop that here, start this there...".

I think Dre has a team of producers (like Focus) and he just bosses the whole thing telling what is dope, what's missing in the beat and all that... Maybe not in 1999.

If the alchemy works between the DA and the artist it makes for great music and consecutively long careers.
If the DA is asking the artist to do something that is not natural to him, it doesn't work on the long run... One hit wonders.

Generally speaking, making decisions as a group rather than individually tends to lead to better decisions taken.

I which I had one of them... Maybe that's what I am looking for in this forum... Maybe it doesn't require a skillful set of ears to tell my beats suck. :blackeye:
this is one of the reasons I'm So frickin excited about JIK II. Kanye has Really shitty songs and Really beautiful songs, in fact if you compare Dre & Kanye's top 10 beats, Kanye would win most of the battles, but on the other had Dre's bottom 10 beats are far better than Ye's bottom 10.

Your opinion is quite a theory, yet one question remains unanswered. if we analyze those songs musically, what is it that they share? you can add shape of you and 50% of dre songs to the list too. I mean still dre is heavy compared to these, but still it's just 3 simple chords. why is it so fuckin dope?

YannFer

I wish I knew... But if we assume it is something we can analyse, crack and define a receipe for then anybody could have a computer to make it instead of us humans.
Maybe it is possible. But do we really want that ?

Also it is a very interesting matter and there are many books trying to decode that secret receipe for "dope".
I recommend reading "the addiction formula" by Friedemann Findeisen also it is not specifically about hip-hop and does not apply to it very well.

I wish I knew... But if we assume it is something we can analyse, crack and define a receipe for then anybody could have a computer to make it instead of us humans.
Maybe it is possible. But do we really want that ?

Also it is a very interesting matter and there are many books trying to decode that secret receipe for "dope".
I recommend reading "the addiction formula" by Friedemann Findeisen also it is not specifically about hip-hop and does not apply to it very well.
I've a theory
We're not the first ones who thought of this. they thought More than us, and Did analyze it, thus, they started making these lightweight effortless songs With the computers, Using the formula, and that's why billboard is full of light bullshit music that all sounds the same. BUT our use of it is not gonna be That, we're gonna put Effort on the formula, we're gonna be the next Dre, Ye, ecte...

So yea, we do want that, because it's already there but only the ones who "Made it" can use it now.

YannFer

Haha... You may be right.

Scam alert !
Send me your banking details, I send you Max Martin's phone number.

Seriously, I don't want to know the truth then ... Let me live in the alternate reality where music is all about magic.

On the other hand, I could use a billboard bullshit lightweight music hit or two, moneywise.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
You @ArvinArmani think too much, just make dope music and don't worry about algorhythmic, or is it algo-non-rhythmic music.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Because of feel

when it comes to making music, a lot you might use "thought" instead of "feel."

You think about how your music should sound as opposed to feel how it should sound.

The other aspect is less is more.

complexity doesn't necessarily = enjoyable. The less elements there are to your music, the more your key elements can shine.

That means you need to make sure sounds, hook or main elements are spot on.

You might play something that musically sounds okay, right or fine, and then make the next part. Instead, does that part get you moving? Does it catch you? "Feel" it before moving on.

Musically speaking, it's just timing and space.