You ever used the Akai S20?

ill o.g.
Anybody ever used this thing? Ive seen them on Ebay a lot and was planning on coppin one but i thought id ask my homies at IllMuzik first.

o yea, i just got the specs kinda:

Everything you need for building your own groove library!

Gives you extreme tools to easily loop, edit, and synchronize phrases. Trance or dance, drum 'n' bass, or jungle -- the pro-quality S20 does 'em all. Its full MIDI implementation makes it a powerful multitimbral sound module. Built-in Beat Loop matches any phrase to the tempo of your mix for slammin' tight pro grooves. Also features a built-in disk drive for saving samples and sequences to floppy disks, memory expansion with a standard 72-pin SIMM, and a built-in 4-track sequencer for recording your performances.

Attachments

• s20.jpg
    s20.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 694

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah I used to own one. You have to be careful though because some of their description can be deceiving.

I got it years ago when I first started getting into producing and I thought it would be on the level of an Akai S2000 or something like that.

First of all, it's a very good BASIC sampler. It has a sequencer in it but it's not that good. Those 16 buttons you see on there are just that, PLASTIC BUTTONS. If you're looking for something to chop some samples with ease then get the S20. I used it a lot to chop up a sample and loop it endlessly while I scratched over the loop, LOL.

I only had the basics of the machine, I never got the upgrade so that's something you should definitely consider since the basic memory is limited. The cool thing is that you can save all your samples and loops on a floppy disk.

Bottom line:
If you want something to chop samples then this is a good machine. If you're looking for advanced sampling/chopping features, get something else. You have to realize this machine is basic, but it really does kick ass for the price.

What price did you see it for on eBay?

ill o.g.
Thanks Fade,

You got all my questions answered.
I saw it on Ebay a bunch of times for about $55-$140. I won't get it if its over $99. But Thanks.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah don't bother if it's more than $100 because you have to remember that it's an old machine.

Another thing is I had such a hard time with the MIDI on that thing because the manual sucked big time. I called tech support and even they told me that the machine is somewhat limited in certain features.

ill o.g.
I dont use midi, it only confuses me. Id only be using it to make some beats at my friends house and/or program tracks for practice.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
the sequencer isn't really a sequencer. all you can do is make loops. the sequencer just starts all the loops at the same time. even if they are set to the same tempo they run out of sync with each other. i don't advice buying it. if you have an outside sequencer and a midi controller it may be worth the purchase. i was upset when i bought it and saw what it can do. of course i was used to using a asr-10. be aware

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I have one. The thing to do is to slave it to a drum machine to trigger it from the drum pads. Your drum machine becomes your sequencer. It's atight little unit if used correctly.

ill o.g.
Alright, im not 100% sure if i got it yet, but im in the lead on one on ebay for $50 and there's 30 minutes left to go. They not sure if it works but i got a lot of people who could fix it if it dont.
Anything i should know about this before i flip out when somethings not workin right? Any glitches or something that usually goes wrong?

PEACE

ill o.g.
Im pickin it up tommorrow. And im gonna be goin somewhere for a while. im bringin a disk of some sounds with me, but i got a question for anybody who might know.

The Akai S20 says its 16-bit, but the samples i saved to the floppy are 24-bit. Is it still gonna work or do i need to convert ['em?

Holla Back ASAP.
PEACE

M

Monacle

convert it man.

if it SAYS its 16 bit then its 16bit. simple.

its an OLD unit and they didnt even have 24bit technology back then, so use common sense and convert those samples. in theory it wont even recognise the samples, if it does, it will play back harsh noise.

if youre really "5000 per beat" why are you playing with toys? get the MPC1000

ill o.g.
DAAMMNN MAN.
5000 a beat is a joke, you should see the PM's i get about that. I never do more then $50. Thats pretty funny.
But i forgot how old it was, ill switch it up to 16.

And the reason im playin wit that is cuz it was $50, and i thought it would be good to teach my friend drum programming after i get done with it, and give it him. He wont be able to afford or understand the MPC yet. So im gettin this for now.

ill o.g.
I just got it. And guess wut.
I plugged it in and it dont do nothing. Usually you can tell when theres current of power going through, but nothing happens. Its like when you got a receiver, and you blew a fuse. I took it apart and i think it might be the transformer but im not sure. Anybody have this problem?

PEACE

B

beatbanga2

never had that problem bt the s20 sucks i got sucked into buying that crap i caant even get rid of mines now

ill o.g.
Its in the shop and it should be done in a week (they gotta send it out).

beatbanga,

sell it on ebay. Or if you dont believe me, go to ebay every once in a while and type in: 'akai s20' and watch how much money they go for.

dae_rawk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
does anybody know if it's possible to run this machine through a pc so that i could use a program like fl or acid for the sequencer?

S3oulC1ty

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 351
Kev Brown actually had one starting out, he told me that like an SP 1200 you had to do a hell of a lot to get it to do the things you want to do it. He said as soon as he got a credit card, the MPC 2000XL was the thing he bought

members online