Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Screenshot_20231230-111613.png

How much are you selling your beats for? :LOL:

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Did he actually get his cut for his multiplatinum joints?

If not then the poor business practise makes sense.

Or there's something odd at play.
I don't know his personal situation but I'm presuming he did since I've seen posts from him countering the shit he gets for super cheap leases. He comes off modest, like he's made money doing this but not enough to be in a mansion but enough to live a good middle class life. He's pretty open about it being another revenue stream for him, how he realizes that's needed in this business (no employer benefits, healthcare, etc.). But IDK I don't follow him closely, but his posts like this catch my eye since I don't see any other "big" producers doing the beat lease grind publicly like this.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
No matter what his motive is, he's making it worse for all other beatmakers trying to sell beats. This has been the norm for years now where it's expected to buy beats so cheap. At this point if you tell someone you sell beats they'll probably think you're broke and homeless.

No matter what his motive is, he's making it worse for all other beatmakers trying to sell beats. This has been the norm for years now where it's expected to buy beats so cheap. At this point if you tell someone you sell beats they'll probably think you're broke and homeless.
But I am broke and almost homeless.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The thing is years ago when these beat selling sites came out (as well as social media) it was like a goldmine for beatmakers. There weren't as many people selling beats then compared to now.

But the biggest difference is everyone is all about marketing their brand now and creating sales funnels through cheap offers like this one. Grab the person's email and add them to your mailing list and slowly sell them more expensive beats. It works but it's greatly devalued the product for everyone overall. So now buyers are most likely going to just want 99 cent beats and see no reason to dish out $500 for a beat.

Then you can add AI to this soon...

Dusty B

ILLIEN
The thing is years ago when these beat selling sites came out (as well as social media) it was like a goldmine for beatmakers. There weren't as many people selling beats then compared to now.

But the biggest difference is everyone is all about marketing their brand now and creating sales funnels through cheap offers like this one. Grab the person's email and add them to your mailing list and slowly sell them more expensive beats. It works but it's greatly devalued the product for everyone overall. So now buyers are most likely going to just want 99 cent beats and see no reason to dish out $500 for a beat.

Then you can add AI to this soon...
This is every industry though, and AI is starting to see some "data poisoning" risk. Since a lot of LLMs foundation is the internet itself, there's the risk of the "well being poisoned" as more creative professionals do anything and everything to distinguish themselves from AI by making sure their work doesn't become free training data.

That's just a temporary thing though and eventually the tech will scale (if it's a benefit to humans) just like all tech.

While I think from a music perspective tech advances and social media has eliminated almost all barriers of entry, resulting in the "oversaturation" we hear about, I still think only the best music still climbs the charts though. Ultimately you can only buy so much of your fanbase, a true artist still and I think will always be able to influence others to willingly keep listening to their music. Obviously a bigger budget makes it easier to market your product, that's how it is in every business too.

One concern I do have though is how the incentive structure has changed. For example, I feel like it used it be pretty much accepted that you either make it or don't. Sure, there are a lot of support jobs at labels, and if you really wanted to stay in the music biz there are plenty of jobs if you didn't make it as an artist. But now we see a lot more people with a pretty good fanbase who still live middle class lives, and in many cases may need to work 2x+ jobs or do a lot of different side hustles (like beat leasing) to make enough income to live off of. How does that shift the mindset of the future generations? Does it help bring us better art because there are now more options for artists to make a living, or does it actually lower the bar since there are more options to make a living, and accordingly there are less artists who fade away but more sub par artists who linger and lower the quality bar (especially with how audiences consume music continues to evolve and be more p2p and streaming)?

My philosophical thoughts in the moment anyways.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Yeah indont get it... maybe if he's that well known and has tonnes of interest then the minor fees maybe work.

But then I can't see how he would ever get any serious work from here on out?
If a big name even wanted a beat at that point ans you're like "yeah $10k please" and they're like. Nah we know your product is only worth 3.88

And yeah AI I figure people will start saying "ai make trap beat" sell trap beat 5 dollars. Etc

Trap, Fruity Loops and YouTube were the death of hiphop beat selling.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Yeah indont get it... maybe if he's that well known and has tonnes of interest then the minor fees maybe work.

But then I can't see how he would ever get any serious work from here on out?
If a big name even wanted a beat at that point ans you're like "yeah $10k please" and they're like. Nah we know your product is only worth 3.88

And yeah AI I figure people will start saying "ai make trap beat" sell trap beat 5 dollars. Etc

Trap, Fruity Loops and YouTube were the death of hiphop beat selling.
We may reach the point where it just becomes accepted as the norm, as part of the broader evolution of P2P everything. There are many pockets of the creative industry saying the same thing (e.g. YouTube killed it, "x" tech was the death of it, etc.).

I actually don't think anyone outside of other producers and underground rappers would even know that he has a YT channel and market where he licenses beats for cheap. If a song using a beat of his got mixed into someones daily mix on Spotify, very few people would know. I feel like most fans know who the likes of Dr Dre and other super producers, if they are hip hop fans they know of some of the bigger names now like Griselda and Metro Metro Boomin. But the rest of us are just schmucks.

Seems Pain wants to own as much of this lease/retail market as possible, and I get it since that's business and there are many segments to the market of customers looking to buy beats.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Read @Iron Keys the YT comment by Pain 1 where he spills what he charges major labels for his beats.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
DJ Pain 1 @Fade @Iron Keys has been offering Black Friday beat deals for 8 years

IMG_0932.png

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

members online