Attack of the Beats! - Battle #199

@Fade thanks for the feedback. The bass is a sub, it's an 808 sample. I though it would make it more old school! Yeah you're right about the limiting, pushed the L1 maximizer on the drum bus too far, and I guess the mix buss too.
I try to avoid limiting on the drum bus unless the kick is really standing out.
My go to's on the drum bus at the moment is Puigtec EQ-1A, then a T-Racks 5 Bus Compressor, sometimes I have the Compressor first.
I mix my 808 separate from the kick, so I can sidechain them and get the most out of both.
I use the T-Racks bus compressor because it has a high pass dial that stops the bass affecting the compression so much.
I also have the puigtec eq and bus compressor on the master bus too, in slots 1 and 2.

Try dynamic eq instead of limiting, it can target the offending frequencies more accurately and transparently.

I try to avoid limiting on the drum bus unless the kick is really standing out.
My go to's on the drum bus at the moment is Puigtec EQ-1A, then a T-Racks 5 Bus Compressor, sometimes I have the Compressor first.
I mix my 808 separate from the kick, so I can sidechain them and get the most out of both.
I use the T-Racks bus compressor because it has a high pass dial that stops the bass affecting the compression so much.
I also have the puigtec eq and bus compressor on the master bus too, in slots 1 and 2.

Try dynamic eq instead of limiting, it can target the offending frequencies more accurately and transparently.
I like limiting the drum bus, just for basic dynamic control. But I'll try your method instead and see if I can get a more subtle control. TBH I just wacked up the gain reduction on this track because I wanted the drums crunchy, maybe I should have sent the drum bus to a send and put parallel compression and bitcrush on instead.
I actually have that Puigtec EQ-1A, didn't even realise I did!
I sometimes sidechain the 808 but recently I have been getting lazy....

I like limiting the drum bus, just for basic dynamic control. But I'll try your method instead and see if I can get a more subtle control. TBH I just wacked up the gain reduction on this track because I wanted the drums crunchy, maybe I should have sent the drum bus to a send and put parallel compression and bitcrush on instead.
I actually have that Puigtec EQ-1A, didn't even realise I did!
I sometimes sidechain the 808 but recently I have been getting lazy....
r bass on the kick and r vox on the snare is how i get my drums punchy, and I ALWAYS sidechain my kick to bass. It just allows me to squeeze the most out of each of them.
I dont often use parallel compression because reasons lol. I use parallel saturation on low bass to try and make it translate better on limited frequency range devices, and to add some crunch to the drum bus sometimes. Everytime I use parallel compression it just seems like I over do it, so avoid it, but do it when i really have to. Ive always been lazy lol.
Do you use templates for your daw? It can really help with the workflow when a template has most of the hard work done of setting up mixing plugins, busses and effects before you even start.

Cool I'll try the Rbass Rvox tip. I also use parallel saturation on bass, my go to is camel crusher.
I love parallel compression, fab filter pro c is great for it.
I don't need templates for renoise in terms of signal routing because it's super easy, you can also apply a side chain or lfo to any sound or track using the lfo or signal follower tool. When I used logic I had templates though.