Beat This! Beat This! Competition - May 1-2, 2024

In theory you can sample anything for trap and boom bap. When it comes to one shot samples, you can absolutely do that. Same goes for sound effects or a dialogue for instance. With melodies, Boom Bap is more easier because of it's history with sampling in production. Lots of Jazz, Funk and Soul samples have been incorporated into Boom Bap beats. Trap Producers could also do the same thing but I haven't heard a trap producer sample something from John Coltrane yet. It is also because trap is often associated with a synthetic style of beatmaking (the process of making your own sounds and melodies) that sampling is not often used in trap compared to boom bap. Overall it depends what you are sampling.
yea but you don't feel the same self-worth renew for using one shot samples, as opposed to using some coltrane thing for a boom bap melody. both are essentially the same, but fsr the latter not only sounds more delicious and is worth more, and also there's more credit given to it. there's absolutely no way I'd use a pre-made loop by some other retard living in my age for a melody and feel proud of that. unless I sell the beat. cuz then I'd be proud of how much of a charlatan I am, getting paid for other people's work. (which I actually do all the time lmfao)

BUTTTT I would be proud of making a beat with some jazz sampled in it, be it boom bap or trap (which 90% of the time is bap cuz that shit's just easy).

also sfx & dialogue is the same everywhere, I don't consider that as part of the beat except in rare cases (like the "LOOK AT CHA" on runaway) really.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
BUTTTT I would be proud of making a beat with some jazz sampled in it, be it boom bap or trap (which 90% of the time is bap cuz that shit's just easy).
Exactly. Most jazz samples usually get incorporated into Boom Bap Beats.

there's absolutely no way I'd use a pre-made loop by some other retard living in my age for a melody and feel proud of that. unless I sell the beat. cuz then I'd be proud of how much of a charlatan I am, getting paid for other people's work. (which I actually do all the time lmfao)
If it's royalty free, I wouldn't hesitate to use pre-made loops but I still try to make it unique by chopping, time stretching, pitch-shifting and layering. However I'll sometimes be bold and sample something from a real song if I'm confident enough that no one's going to figure out where the sample came from.

btw @crog85 congrats on reaching ur 100th battle. you have a 27% winrate so far, which is impressive as fuck considering that 86 of those battles are Beat This'. even 2GooD and iron aren't pulling rates like that. that's some andrei claudiu shit.

speaking of which, @V.J. Retro congrats on overtaking andrei claudiu cuz u just did that. you probably don't know him but he used to be a god on here before I was able to speak english. he had swayboogie numbers (AND a battle that W) before swayboogie OR numbers were a thing. ancient stuff.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
btw @crog85 congrats on reaching ur 100th battle. you have a 27% winrate so far, which is impressive as fuck considering that 86 of those battles are Beat This'. even 2GooD and iron aren't pulling rates like that. that's some andrei claudiu shit.

speaking of which, @V.J. Retro congrats on overtaking andrei claudiu cuz u just did that. you probably don't know him but he used to be a god on here before I was able to speak english. he had swayboogie numbers (AND a battle that W) before swayboogie OR numbers were a thing. ancient stuff.
Austin Powers Nerd GIF

Delta Nine - Bird

Sampled Radiohead - Everything In It's Right Place.

If any of you are piano players it's one of the funnest and sexiest songs to play on a baby grand.
that does actually sound sick. I must've skipped it somehow, greatly wicked.

members online