Interviews Da Dreak Is Helping Put Dallas On The Map With His Hip Hop Beats

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
dadreak_big.jpg

Hailing from Dallas, TX, Da Dreak has been steadily improving his creations with the hard work he’s put in from the productions he’s done. With an influence of both coasts, as well as the south, Da Dreak has also been making a name for himself with various producer showcases.

IllMuzik was able to get an interview with him and see what he’s all about.

Name: Da Dreak Location: Dallas, TX

1. What is your studio setup like?

Being fortunate enough to own a studio, my setup is like stepping into a creative cave. A bunch of electronic gadgets to exercise the brain when bored: abstract art on the wall, comfortable places to sit and warm lighting. But when it’s time to work I have Protools 11, KRK Rokits 10″, FL Studio, Maschine 2.0, & Axiom Pro 61 & a few random instruments.

2. What is the one software or hardware that you can’t live without?

My mind, and a laptop: I travel a lot so being able to get out any ideas I have on the fly is important to me. My photographic memory and the fact I play by ear helps me remember certain ideas until I’m in a place to exercise them.

3. What is a typical day for you?

Chopping samples, hitting the gym, stuffing my face with food, and watching any type of comedy movie or TV show. The gym always plays a variety of music so I get a lot of ideas for production and watching comedies keeps me relaxed. A laugh a day keeps wack beats away! LOL.

4. What is the best advice that you’ve ever received?

There isn’t just one piece of advice that trumps all ’cause I’ve received some good advice from Just Blaze, Alchemist, DJ Toomp, J Hatch (iStandard Producers) & my mentor Lee Stone who told me “There are hit-makers & there are innovators… choose which one you want to be”.

5. Do you have any tips for other producers?

Push your creativity. I listen to all genres of music and currently I can create about 4 different kinds. Never take advantage of being in a “zone” even if you have to ignore everybody for the next 3 days, they will be mad at you but you gonna make some BANGERS!

6. How long does it take to make a full beat?

It really depends on the zone I’m in, the longest I can remember is about 8 hours and that was due to how many ideas that kept coming. But on the average I would say about 3 or 4 hours.

7. Do you have any studio tricks that help you work better and faster?

Templates templates templates! They help your work flow, you can kill a moment of inspiration by spending too much time looking for a sound or plugin preset.

8. What’s in your near future?

Currently working on a project with Jean Grae as well as my own album with some dope features. Looking forward to working with my #Indie500 family Pharoahe Monch, Talib Kweli and 9thWonder teams as well.

More Information

To find out more information about Da Dreak, visit:

D

DJ Brotha Dre

I like the statement There are hit-makers & there are innovators… choose which one you want to be” #salute