Interviews Interview With Montreal Beat Maker Pug

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Even though I've known Pug for a few months now, there's still a lot I don't know about this guy. He always goes, "hahhaha" in his posts, which leads me to believe that he has a sense of humor. But then he tells me he likes horror movies and he's stuck doing "darkside" beats right now. So all of this tells me that he's probably one twisted individual. Do you want to find out more about this up-and-coming Montreal muzik maker? Keep reading.

Sup Fade!

Yo Yo. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Well I reside in Montreal, Canada. I've been a fan of music for quite some time now. I started listening to HipHop beginning at around '91. Ever since then the craving for the music has only excelled. Other than music, I enjoy all things artistic like drawing, photography, watching tv and collecting things.

How long have you been making beats?

I would say 3 years ago, I started with Impulse Tracker on my computer. But seriously, about a year and half ago I bought myself an ASR, thats when I became more serious about it.

Have you always been interested in the technical side of music? I mean, is this a life-long dream of yours?

Like most people, I've always had ideas of creating music in my head. It doesn't really take much to make music, all you need is strong motivation and willingness to take the time to create a good, solid track. I love making music, but right now I see it more as a hobby rather than a dream. Hopefully in the future things will shift more towards the dream aspect.

Name some of your musical influences.

Musical inspirations include Blacksheep, Souls of Mischief, Gang Starr, the whole Boot Camp click, De La Soul, Def Leopard, Herbie Hancock, and a slew of other artists.

What kind of setup do you have?

As of now I have 1 Gemini XL-500, 1 Numark Bluedog mixer, and an Asr-10 Keyboard. For my computer setup I use Sound Forge, and on occasion, Cubase.

How do you feel about the whole software vs. hardware debate?

Well the whole debate is out of hand. The way I see it, just use what you're comfortable with. Myself, I like using pieces of both worlds. Using only hardware or software really limits your possibilites to make better music.

Do you think that in the future, producing music will end up being strictly computer-based?

Na, I think that there will always be hardware enthusiasts, however with computers making things that much easier, a lot of hardware heads will convert to computer software.

What's the production/HipHop scene like in Montreal?

Right now it really sucks. There's a lot of talent out there, but there isn't enough support for the artists out there. Dubmatique did really well with their first album, but their second album barely sold. The way I see it is, if you want to make music it's best to go to another city/country.

Making beats in the winter is the best for me, what about you?

I love making beats any season, as long as I'm in the mood, I'll make a beat!

Do you have some kind of signature sound? What are some key elements you include in your tracks?

For the most part, a lot of my tracks are dark. I've tried making other kinds of tracks but it's hard, very hard. I'm stuck on the darkside. Hahaha.

LOL. Are you stuck on the darkside because you have some sort of "darkside" influence? Or are you naturally evil?

I would have to say my love of things occult and evil have some influence. I love horror flics and old satanic books. Check out Dawn of the Dead, it's got an outstanding soundtrack.

Yeah I'll check that out. Right after I check out Serendipity. How about KFC? Regular or crispy?

Screw KFC it's all about Chalet BBQ. KFC has farms where they produce chickens with only bodies. No legs or head. Watch out for KFC!

OH SHIT. Okay, so are there any production tips or tricks you'd like to share?

Firstly, PRACTICE. Learn your machine to DEATH. It will help you in the long run. No point in making tracks and not know how to add reverb. Listen to a lot of other artists and see how they do things, it really helps. As for records to sample from, use anything you can get your hands on. There's no limit to your imagination. Oh here's a good resource for production tips - I L L M U Z I K.

Yeah I'll check that site out, never heard of it.

I'm not sucking up.

Any other forms of music you'd like to eventually produce?

I would LOVE to learn to play the bagpipes. Or have someone to sample from. That instrument always gets my emotions going.

That's interesting. Most people would love to learn the piano, or guitar. Why the bagpipes? Are you Scottish?

Nope, I just like the sound of them. They hit key emotions when they're played. For real.

Are there any projects that you're currently working on, or are you trying to perfect your skills?

Right now I'm trying to perfect my keyboard's sequencer, it's a little limited but I'm sure with some practice I'll get there eventually.

Any last words?

Fo sho, to all comic book heads, be sure to pick up Battlechasers for some jaw dropping artwork!

Hahaha, I'm waiting for the day when someone answers that question with "no".

Me too! Hahahahah.

Last edited: