Interviews Interview With Vancouver Producer Rip

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Vancouver's own Rip recently won the Beat This! Competition, after placing 2nd in the previous two. With a simple production setup, good digging skills, and a solid DJ background, this producer has just recently started working with up and coming MC's. Be on the lookout!

So you're in Vancity, or nearby?

In the heart of downtown, all day. Literally.

Cool, are you near any vinyl spots?

Funny you mentioned it, my block alone has 2 spots with 50 cent bins, luring me on the street. I can't leave my own hood it seems.

The 50 cent bins are the best, lots of good finds in those, so do you go digging?

Actually, I've been able to use most of them, I'm a picky digger still.

What do you look for when you're digging for vinyl?

After the genre, soul, blues, jazz, folk, rock, whatever. I look for the year, like 1971-1980 preferably, then if they have instruments listed on the back.

Do the album covers attract you, like a Black dude with a huge afro?

Half naked hippie chicks mainly.

When did you get into producing, and why?

I started in '95, when my friend who was an emcee, did beats and moved in with me. I got into it for a year then didn't touch a drum pad until '99 or so.

Well what kind of setup are you working with right now?

My main choice of weapon is the Yamaha A3000 sampler with a Motif rack, running through my O1V into my PC, and lots of Acid.

So what do you work with mainly, samples, synths, or both?

Mainly samples, but I'm just now implementing the Motif, so I'm looking forward to lots of possibilities.

Can you explain a bit about how you put together the winning beat, or is it a secret?

Let's see... I was just diggin real hard and slapped something together one night. That's as deep as I can tell you. I guess it just comes out from there.

Ahhaa cool. What kind of mood do you like to have going when you're working on beats?

When I make beats, I just sort of phase everything else out, and just whatever kind of energy I'm feelin, I try and let it out.

What kind of style would you describe your music?

Definitely underground, hard hitting and smooth.

What or who, are your musical influences?

Number one influence is Hip Hop since '86, then all the old school jazz legends next.

Do you try to sort of emulate what you hear on those old records, or do you just do what you do?

I try and understand those records mostly, like what they're getting across, and how they're generally doing it. Like how to channel your own musical ideas and expressions.

Approximately how many records do you have?

A few thousand probably now, I've sold lots.

Damn, that's a lot! How long have you been collecting?

I've been diggin on and off since '95. I bought every Hip Hop record I could from like '87.

What about your beats, how many have you made?

I've made a ton of toss aways, so I'd say around 500 since day 1.

Have you sold any, or worked with any MC's?

Just last year I started up officially, so I've been really busy as of late.

How do you go about that, hooking up with artists and producing stuff for them?

I've been lucky enough that some serious emcees have approached me. I haven't had to put too many CDs out, mainly through the 'net and word of mouth.

Do you network at shows?

I've hit up a bunch of shows in my area but the talent is thinly distributed here I've found.

Which do you find better, hooking up online, or in person?

Online has proved more profitable, and I'm working with emcees that can crush local cats here. So yeah, definitely the 'net so far.

Really? I didn't think hooking up with artists online was that profitable. Are there a lot of rappers online looking for beats? And how many of them are serious enough?

It's 95% bullshit I've found and a lot of people could agree, but the more your beats get heard, the more the numbers will work for you if you have heat. So far I've been able to link up with established emcees and take on some serious projects.

I figured that. It seems like most of these "rappers" want beats but as soon as you tell them your price they get all pissed off, does that happen to you?

Ha, yes it has. I've seen the funniest reactions too, "C'mon, my boy sells 'em for $40 bucks!!". I try and weed out the netcees nowadays.

What about DJ'ing, what have you done with that?

I started off as a DJ. I used to do all the jams, parties, halls. Man that was fun back in the day.

Were you into just mixing or did you get into any scratching?

Yea, I used to compete.

In which competitions, DMC?

Never did the DMC's, though I mentored a DMC champ.

That's cool man, I did the DMC's once and it was a lot of fun.

Word, enter next year and I will.

Ahahh nah, I'm done with that. It's too much dedication!

That could be a serious spark plug to the beats career, flexing as a DJ and all. I hear you though.

So what do you think of the whole hardware vs. software debate?

If I could afford it, I probably wouldn't use much software at all. I would record to DAT or tape and use all rackmount dynamics.

Do you have any words for up and coming producers?

Yes. Be original, dig for all your own sounds, drums, and put your all into it.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Just a shout out to my man Devan the Dogen and Lord Cyrus, be on the look out!!

Aight thanks for doing this interview.

Yea man thank you!

Last edited:

members online