Let's talk about the Splice Problem

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin

I don't know if this video was posted on another thread here but I'm curious how other beatmakers approach this. Do you make your own samples or take the royalty free samples but manipulate them enough to make your own sound if you ever decide to post on YouTube?

I mean I always make my own melodies but I do sample hi hat loops. I haven't had any content ID issues using hi hat loops.

I make a sell a melody loop kit myself.. I think the key is to just make the best beat possible and/or have the most fun making beats. The more creative the better usually.

That's all I got.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
I mean I always make my own melodies but I do sample hi hat loops. I haven't had any content ID issues using hi hat loops.

I make a sell a melody loop kit myself.. I think the key is to just make the best beat possible and/or have the most fun making beats. The more creative the better usually.

That's all I got.
Yeah. Drums and one shots are hardly an issue with content ID. Even if that happens, you can easily beat the case. I've heard that it has happen to one or two people that I follow on YouTube and they've counteracted and won. I'm also trying to make my own sample and melody kit as well. Luckily I have a background in Music Theory so I can put that into good use.

I compose a lot of my stuff, when I sample I do it blatantly, I dont worry about clearing samples, if soneone wants the beat they can clear it. Had a couple copyright strikes on youtube, only one has been blocked completely before they usually just make it so I cant get paid off them, not that I get paid anyway. Most of the young producers at the studio are using splice, I just use arcade for vocals.

I compose a lot of my stuff, when I sample I do it blatantly, I dont worry about clearing samples, if soneone wants the beat they can clear it. Had a couple copyright strikes on youtube, only one has been blocked completely before they usually just make it so I cant get paid off them, not that I get paid anyway. Most of the young producers at the studio are using splice, I just use arcade for vocals.
Do you think copyright strikes or content ID issues affect views?

Do you think copyright strikes or content ID issues affect views?
no, not that Ive noticed. Its not like the videos have been shadow banned or anything. I dont get that many views, but when I do the ones that get flagged as breaching copyright get as many plays, sometimes more than the ones that havent been flagged. The only one Ive had taken down from youtube was Screaming Jay Hawkins "I Put A Spell On You" sampled track. Probably because the vocal was throughout the whole beat. Or maybe its just that some copyright holders will be over zealous and others will see a remix or a sample as a way of giving the original more sales and exposure.
Maybe Ive been pretty lucky, but thats how its gone for me so far.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This is why I never cared to use a service like Splice. It seems like a great service in theory but in reality there's issues like described in the video. When it comes to the legality then it's essential to use services like Splice since the sounds are royalty-free but that's if you're looking to sell beats or if you're on a label, etc. But you could also just sample from wherever and work with the artist to clear the samples.

I've written about this subject numerous times and that's why I think when it comes to sampling and the legality of it, it's always a gray area. Always. When you have producers taking an entire section of a song and using it as their own, that's not what I consider sampling. Puffy took the entire riff from The Police, for example, and to me that's not really sampling. There's tons of famous Rap songs that were just entire pieces of music and those need to be given a new name.

To me, sampling is taking a "sample" of music, a piece of it, a slice. Not a big chunk. I don't see anything wrong with taking pieces of a song and creating something completely new.

As far as Splice, it's like using the sounds from the same plug-in everyone else is using. Eventually your beat will sound like someone else's because you're all using the same plug-in with the same sounds, whereas sampling has such a wide range of sounds and sources to choose from.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
This is why I never cared to use a service like Splice. It seems like a great service in theory but in reality there's issues like described in the video. When it comes to the legality then it's essential to use services like Splice since the sounds are royalty-free but that's if you're looking to sell beats or if you're on a label, etc. But you could also just sample from wherever and work with the artist to clear the samples.

I've written about this subject numerous times and that's why I think when it comes to sampling and the legality of it, it's always a gray area. Always. When you have producers taking an entire section of a song and using it as their own, that's not what I consider sampling. Puffy took the entire riff from The Police, for example, and to me that's not really sampling. There's tons of famous Rap songs that were just entire pieces of music and those need to be given a new name.

To me, sampling is taking a "sample" of music, a piece of it, a slice. Not a big chunk. I don't see anything wrong with taking pieces of a song and creating something completely new.

As far as Splice, it's like using the sounds from the same plug-in everyone else is using. Eventually your beat will sound like someone else's because you're all using the same plug-in with the same sounds, whereas sampling has such a wide range of sounds and sources to choose from.
You made an excellent point Fade. That's what's frustrating about sampling is all the legal stuff one has to go through to clear a sample. The main problem that the video highlights is the YouTube Content ID system. According to distrokid, where I distribute my music, they have a list of items that I need to check if I'm uploading to Youtube. Basically, my work must be completely original. No samples from other sources, not even if the sample is in public domain; however, I'm pretty sure most of the music I listen to like Lo-Fi does have recordings that was definitely sampled. Probably because the artist uploaded their stuff before content ID became a thing. I'm also wondering if the ID system will still catch the samples in my songs even it I chop it, change the pitch or add effects to make it sound completely different from the original source.

As far as Splice goes, it's a fine system but it's great to venture out and find other services that offer royalty free samples. Usually I'll try to make a sample sound different from the origional especially if it's a melody type sample. Cymatics has a pretty good list of royalty free samples to use. I just got their Lo-Fi bundle last week and I'm eager to try it out.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
it's been a thing for decades.

It's probably just more refined now.

Also distro probably being funny 'cause of all the potential clashes etc. If your files are all legally usable they shouldn't have any real objection.
Oh I see. It's "refined" now but more likely that will change in the near future.

I think other sites like CD Baby and TuneCore have the same requirements if not all of the distribution sites so it's not just a Distro thing.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Vtrain56 I'm not surprised that Distrokid requires the same thing because they're just trying to cover their asses in case of anything legal popping up. Even in the 90's I did a mixtape and had it duplicated by a company (back when it was an actual tape!) and even THEY asked me if the content of my tape was all mine. When I said it was a DJ mixtape, they had me sign a waiver lol. And what's funny is I sold it in a small record store, and they didn't care. Ah, the good ol' days....

But all the sites where you can upload your music will require that your music be 100% sample-free. There's Audiomack, Audius, Bandcamp, etc. Speaking of Bandcamp, I saw this the other day:

The whole legal aspect of sampling has really ruined it for a lot of people, even big name producers. It's one thing for someone to sample a big portion of a song and make millions off of it, and it's another for a bedroom producer to sample a 1-bar piano and make beats for fun and no profit. However, the law says it's the same for some reason.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
@Vtrain56 I'm not surprised that Distrokid requires the same thing because they're just trying to cover their asses in case of anything legal popping up. Even in the 90's I did a mixtape and had it duplicated by a company (back when it was an actual tape!) and even THEY asked me if the content of my tape was all mine. When I said it was a DJ mixtape, they had me sign a waiver lol. And what's funny is I sold it in a small record store, and they didn't care. Ah, the good ol' days....

But all the sites where you can upload your music will require that your music be 100% sample-free. There's Audiomack, Audius, Bandcamp, etc. Speaking of Bandcamp, I saw this the other day:

The whole legal aspect of sampling has really ruined it for a lot of people, even big name producers. It's one thing for someone to sample a big portion of a song and make millions off of it, and it's another for a bedroom producer to sample a 1-bar piano and make beats for fun and no profit. However, the law says it's the same for some reason.

Damn. I hope that producer gets his bandcamp page back.

As far as Distrokid and other sites, It's only a issue when uploading to YouTube but not if you're uploading music with samples to other websites like Spotify, Apple, Etc...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I think it's tricky tbh.

Being a creator I think (for me anyway) you can sit on both sides of the fence --- I want more relax sampling rules so I csn be free to create and make collages of sound, however, I'd also hate for someome to use my work or a unique element I created make millions off it and I get no credit/money/benefit from it.

The only exception being when Stona/Dprezd stole my music and uploaded it to Beat This - my satisfaction being the only time he finished so high was from using my music :LOL:

unaufadox

ILLIEN
You made an excellent point Fade. That's what's frustrating about sampling is all the legal stuff one has to go through to clear a sample. The main problem that the video highlights is the YouTube Content ID system. According to distrokid, where I distribute my music, they have a list of items that I need to check if I'm uploading to Youtube. Basically, my work must be completely original. No samples from other sources, not even if the sample is in public domain; however, I'm pretty sure most of the music I listen to like Lo-Fi does have recordings that was definitely sampled. Probably because the artist uploaded their stuff before content ID became a thing. I'm also wondering if the ID system will still catch the samples in my songs even it I chop it, change the pitch or add effects to make it sound completely different from the original source.

As far as Splice goes, it's a fine system but it's great to venture out and find other services that offer royalty free samples. Usually I'll try to make a sample sound different from the origional especially if it's a melody type sample. Cymatics has a pretty good list of royalty free samples to use. I just got their Lo-Fi bundle last week and I'm eager to try it out.
Whats the deal with Cymatics? Just free stuff?? How do they make their money?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy