Reviews Milly Warbucks - B.S.O.T.S

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
cover.jpg

Milly Warbucks is an up and coming emcee from Brooklyn, NY. After a rough and tumble upbringing, he decided to focus on emceeing and develop a music career. He recently released "B.S.O.T.S" (which stands for Both Sides of The Story) on EQ Records in affiliation with Official Paper Records. The production on the album was entirely done by the Da IllFellaz (Nomics and DJ Deuce), who are also the label's owners. Scratches were provided by EQ's own Benny Blendz.

1. Intro (N/A)

A "male groupie" is praising Milly and wants him to have sex with his wife, funny intro, nuff said.

2. Who Is He (5 out of 5 Classic)

The theme is obvious here, Milly introduces himself properly. The beat features soulful strings and banging drums.

3. I'm from The Place (5 out of 5 Classic)

The track is a continuation of the previous. Milly talks about his hood. Another nice beat here: nice strings, powerful bass line and drums. Benny Blendz provides dope cuts.

4. Say Wadup (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

This is more of a club track, yet with a street sound. The "Say Wadup!!" hook is very catchy. The beat has an interesting minimalistic feel, with heavy percussions and light synth sounds.

5. Devil Music (5 out of 5 Classic)

This is probably the best track on the album. Milly talks about the dangers of street life. The beat is really hypnotic, it features a dope guitar sample, bassline and cuts.

6. Caught Up (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

This song is about the ladies. The beat is faster here, it features a nice guitar sample.

7. Freaks Anthem (3 out of 5 Fair)

The weakest track on the album. Obvious theme here, the beat is very clubbish, with synth sounds and energetic drums. My biggest criticism is that it doesn't really go well with the overall vibe of the album. However, this is not a bad track, the main melody is pretty good.

8. Momma (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

Milly pays homage to his mom. A nice emotional track, with a nice piano sample and subtle strings.

9. You're Mine (5 out of 5 Classic)

This song is about Milly's significant other and close friends. Another emotional track with a dope piano sample and banging drums.

10. F@CK,F@CK (4 out 5 Good)

Another freak song, the IllFellaz chopped up a classic sample used by the Wu Tang, the drums are a bit chaotic, otherwise no complaints.

11. Milly Interlude (5 out of 5 Classic)

Benny Blendz displays his deejay skills here over an aggressive beat with a chopped up chromatic sample. The interlude can almost be considered as a song as Blendz cuts up different phrases of Milly every bar to create a logical progression similar to DJ Premier's scratch executions.

12. I'm In Here (4 out of 5 Good)

Here Milly talks about the current state of Hip Hop music and his dedication. The beat features a solid electric guitar sample.

13. This Feeling (4 out of 5 Good)

A nice chill track about females. I really like the beat with its catchy piano sample but in my opinion the G-Unitish sung hook doesn't match the beat very well.

14. Whole Wide World (5 out of 5 Classic)

The final track is all about bragging rights. Milly sounds really aggressive over the nice soulful beat which features a dope vocal sample. Well Done!

Conclusion

My two conclusions are: firstly, Milly Warbucks is very convincing on this album. He has a good voice with an excellent diction and it's clear he's confident on the mic. Maybe because of his BK origins, his style is somewhat reminiscent of Jay-Z's. His subject matter is varied and never boring; secondly, Da IllFellaz have done a great job supplying the beats, creating an eclectic, soulful yet cohesive ensemble. The album is near classic status and I strongly recommend it to anyone who's into good music.

Score: 4.5 / 5