Reviews Sadat X - Brand New Bein'

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
cover.jpg

Sadat X has been in the game for almost 20 years, enjoying a successful career both as a solo artist and a member of Brand Nubian. This year he returns with a new album on Loud Records. It was produced entirely by DJ JS1, who is known for his turntable skills and extensive production work in the underground Hip Hop circuit (Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, Kool G Rap, Masta Ace, Special ED, Ill Bill, OC, Planet Asia, ...).

1. All For One '08 (4 out of 5 Good)
This is obviously a remake of the classic Brand Nubian song. The beat is cool, it's somewhat reminiscent of the original. Sadat comes correct.

2. Nuthin' feat CL Smooth (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)
CL Smooth, Pete Rock's former partner joins Sadat over a smooth beat. The subject matter is the usual player hater theme but both emcees deliver strong performances.

3. Go Slow feat Jak D, Twan (4 out of 5 Good)
Nice beat with some cool mysterious strings. Sadat comes correct but the guests are average at best.

4. Blow Up Da Spot feat KRS One, Razhel (4 out of 5 Good)
A solid beat, it's a bit monotone but the strings are cinematic and quite captivating. KRS delivers as usual.

5. The Natural (3.5 out of 5 Fair)
JS1 sort of messed up on this one. The main sample is nice mix of wind instruments, but the drums are annoying (too complex with thin claps).

6. Lyrics feat Craig G (4 out of 5 Good)
Obvious theme here (the lack of real lyrics in hip hop these days). Strong performances from both emcees. Solid beat with nice cuts.

7. Bullseye feat Buckshot, Jak D (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)
Nice production here. The sampled strings are very soulful. Sadat and Buckshot deliver solid performances.

8. Goin' Back (5 out of 5 Classic)
JS1 sampled a dope, strange yet dope electric piano sound. It's coupled with a banging drum loop. Sadat reminisces about his youth and the beginning of his rap career. The track has an irresistible golden age feel.

9. Brand New Bein feat Lord Jamar, Grand Puba (4 out of 5 Good)
The title track features fellow Brand Nubian members Grand Puba and Lord Jamar. Whereas Sadat and Puba deliver solid performances, Lord Jamar disappoints, sounding tired and dropping dismal lines such as "You do a show, I'm grow some vegetables. You're a bitch, you need to grow testicles". Anyway, the beat is nice. The sample contains nice flutes and guitars; JS1 adds some blazing cuts.

10. Unforgettable feat Poison Pen, Jak D (2.5 out 5 Average)
This is the weakest track on the album for sure. The beat is forgettable, no pun intended. Poison Pen tries to sound G-Unitish, Jak D is not very convincing either.

11. Teach The Children (3.5 out of 5 Fair)
A common 5 Percenters theme is developed here. The message is positive and delivered in a thoughtful manner. The beat is cool, it samples flute and guitar sounds. However, the juvenile hook is dreadful, it could well be taken from Dora the Explorer!

12. Gamer feat C-Rayz Walz (5 out of 5 Classic)
Now this is creative. This is not the first time video games fanaticism has been rapped about, however to my knowledge, never had it been developed with such wit and enthusiasm. Sadat talks about his favorite games and games systems, and how he will never quit playing. C-Rayz Walz delivers an energetic performance about his love for the games. JS1 chopped 8 bits sounds (from a video game?), it matches the theme perfectly. He even scratches phrases from Common, Biggie and others which mention the subject.

13. Smallest Violin feat Jak D, Craig G (3.5 out of 5 Fair)
Solid violin sample on this. Craig G provides the hook but doesn't spit any verse. Jak D sounds a bit better on this.

Brand New Bein' is no classic, however it's a solid effort from an underrated veteran. The album is packed with soulful and banging beats, JS1 is no Premo or Pete Rock, but he's definitely skilled. I would recommend this album to anyone who's into golden age Hip Hop (also, DJ's will like the fact that the album comes with acapellas of all tracks).

READ THE REVIEWS ON AMAZON

Score: 4 / 5

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I found the mix and overdubs on All for One (and through other parts of the album) to be amateurish. Especially when Sadat is accenting himself on All For One, it was done terribly, had I recorded that I could not in good conscious let it go out like that, for one you need those \"Accents\" to be be turned DOWN, then it helps when the are in alignment with what is being said on the main take.
Drives me nuts and I find it confusing to listen to. It would be ok if we were still using 2\" tape , but we are not, even in a home studio the producer or engineer could have aligned it correctly, otherwise I thought this was a great LP.